VA VA - Clarksville, Kerr Lake, WhtMale 35-50, UP6315, Doberman head tatt w/Capone 2/14/92, Nov'09

The notation "Capone 02-14-92" seems like a reference to the Valentine's Day Massacre (ordered by Al Capone), except that the year was 1929, not 1992.

If it isn't, then it would seem to be a tribute to someone named Capone who died on Feb 14, 1992.

Interesting thought. The tattoo definitely says "92". SSDI doesn't list anyone with that surname dying in Feb. 1992 (at least I didn't see any). My guess is that Capone was the dog's name and it died 2-14-92. Apparantly, memorial tattoos remembering dogs are not that unusual and it appears that a number of folks name their Doberman pinschers "Capone".

IMHO:

He's not a local, everyone in the area knows everyone.

The tattoo is pretty bad, but not a prison tat. The fact they are still looking for ID tells me there is no DNA, or Prints, or other information (other tattoos?) which would be in the NCIC, so the person has not been arrested of a serious crime.

It also seems that no one has reported the person missing, so it's likely the person was not married or close to his family.

Blunt force trauma, and using the tattoo for recognition? Could be blow to the face or just floating in the lake for a while and they didnt want to publish that image, notice the image with the tattoo there are several cuts.

The Date 2-14-92 is interesting, back to the tattoo being bad... could be the tattoo artist transposed 92 and 29, in reference to the Valentines day event. Most likely its just a coincidence though.

Assuming the dog did die in 92 looking in doberman forums and hoping for some animal clinic registry records seems fruitless.

If someone can get access to AKC records for that year they might be able to pull up something if the dog was documented pure bred and registered.

Kerr lake is a record fishing spot, it draws in people from all over. Since they didn't find a boat either he was tossed over one of the many bridges or thrown off a boat. Capone may be a popular name for dobermans, though it could indicate some wish to be a gangster. Perhaps he (excuse the pun) got in over his head. The proximity to interstate 85 and 95 would make the lake a good spot for anyone from Atlanta to NYC to make a dropoff.

Its possible the lack of a missing persons report indicates the person was homeless. It seems that no one is looking for him. Not many transients bother to stop in the area, much less reside there.

my thoughts:

He likely had little to no money. If so, he thought he was going to get into the drug business and failed. Perhaps he was on a boating trip and mad a pass and some ones old lady. Maybe he was a very bad person and tried to commit a crime against one of the locals who delt him in. He could be the victom of an as of yet unknown killer.

Because of the rural nature of the area I doubt he would travel there for suicide, though on a wild tangent he jumped off a bridge for fun and someone stole his car.

Basically, all we have to work on is a very old tattoo of a dog, and without more information no one will know.

my hunch is that the dog was named Capone because it was born on Valentine's Day 1992.

The life expectancy of a Doberman is between 12 and 15 years so if I am right, Capone died between 2004-2007.

So if the investigators could make inquiries of veterinarians they may still have a chart for Capone.

So, probably too out there, but...I found this:

http://www.myspace.com/caponesparlor

Capone's tatoo parlor in Belmont, NC.

Read the about info on the right side of the page and you'll see they do black ink and they are dog friendly. I don't know how long the place has been in operation. Could the Capone and the date be more like an artist's signing of a painting? Could that be the nickname of the artist and the date he did the tatoo?

Wow! I think you're on to something. The style of the artwork is quite similar to his other animal tattoos shown on his MySpace page. Perhaps 14-Feb-92 is the date that he performed the work. If so, and if he has records of his clients, he could probably go back into his business records.

You should send him an e-mail. If you don't want to, I will.

Wow! I think you're on to something. The style of the artwork is quite similar to his other animal tattoos shown on his MySpace page. Perhaps 14-Feb-92 is the date that he performed the work. If so, and if he has records of his clients, he could probably go back into his business records.

You should send him an e-mail. If you don't want to, I will.

Carl, if you were willing to help me by getting in touch with them, that would be swell.

I got a call back from Capone's Tattoo Parlor. The man who called indicated that the parlor opened in 2009, and the name Capone is just a name for the parlor. The owner's name is not Capone and he doesn't use that nickname. It's just a name for the parlor based on gangster Al Capone.

Also, the owner would have only been 4 years old in 1992, so if this "Capone 02-14-92" notation was the signature of the tattoo artist and date of his work, it wouldn't be him.

But he will bring it up with the owner when he sees him again, just to be sure.

I got a call back from Capones Tattoo Parlor. The man who called indicated that the parlor opened in 2009, and the name Capone is just a name for the parlor. The owner's name is not Capone and he doesn't use that nickname. It's just a name for the parlor based on gangster Al Capone.

Also, the owner would have only been 4 years old in 1992, so if this "Capone 02-14-92" notation was the signature of the tattoo artist and date of his work, it wouldn't be him.

But he will bring it up with the owner when he sees him again, just to be sure.

Oh, well. Thanks for checking it out, Carl.

they are still working on this UID and are up to 436 rule outs.

Bump

938 (some are doubles, but not many) rule outs on this list. Quite a sad sight to see that many missing names but good that someone is checking and updating it.

Hi! Did the owner of the tattoo shop ever confirm for sure that he did the Capone tattoo?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back