911 users online (158 members and 753 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Over 100 dogs found chained, freezing on Ore. property

<snip>

PORTLAND, Ore. - Emergency animal rescue teams are trying to save as many as 100 dogs chained to old farm equipment or living in holes in the ground in frigid weather - surviving on cow carcasses - on a remote property.

It was 11 below this morning, Harney County Sheriff David Glerup said. Its high desert with no trees on the property, and pretty much flat ground - nothing to stop the wind.

Three people are facing charges. The dogs, being rescued by the Oregon Humane Society from the property about 20 miles east of Burns, were subsisting mostly on cattle carcasses obtained from a local meat processing plant, officials said. Some of the dogs are living underground in holes covered with planks, while others are chained to farm equipment and have little or no shelter.

The condition of the dogs, which included a variety of breeds, was being assessed. Deputies were called to the property by county social workers who were investigating an unrelated complaint involving an 11-year-old child.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...icleid=1217593

Those poor helpless pooches -- and what about the 11yo??

Sounds like this story may get worse.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

I definitely want to hear the rest of this story. Why all the dogs and where did they get them?

Unhappy

How incredibly sad. I hope these dogs survive their inhumane treatment!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Ugh!! Those worthless 3 people should be forced to endure the same treatment for the rest of their lives. I'm glad the dogs are getting out of such an awful situation.

This is just so sad! How could someone treat poor innocent animals like this? The worst part about it IMO is there punishment for something like this. It's no where near what it should be.
    All my posts are my opinion only! Unless otherwise stated!

~Justice for all~

If someone raises a dog to be aggressive it will be, no matter what breed it is.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Link-less

I'm thinking this was a puppy mill since it mentioned there being several breeds and also puppies. I hate puppy mills!!!! There needs to be so much more exposure on them, and all the pet shops who help support puppy mills need a bright light shined on them also. Innocent well meaning people see a cute little puppy and have absolutely no idea where that puppy came from and what the dog who gave birth to it had to endure.
    And a 11 yo child apparently was being brought up with this as their norm. I wonder how many others knew of what was happening out there and did nothing.
    I hope the child gets help and that these dogs will be saved and that these 3 pathetic excuses for humans face justice. Unfortunatly, we have no idea how many other lovely puppy mills are out there, have I told you how much I hate puppy mills?

Here is a link on what the humane society is trying to do to stop puppy mills, this can be very sad and disturbing so I want to warn you.

http://stoppuppymills.org/

VB
    Last edited by Vegas Bride; 12-09-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add link
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    UGH!! I just don't get how people can be so cruel to animals!! I feel guilty if I snap at my dog for being in my way! In my defense, he has this unending urge to get to anyplace I am going BEFORE I get there. Since he doesn't know where I'm going (and half the time neither do I), he ends up walking a few inches in front of me and looking behind himself to see where I am. Needless to say, this ends in my tripping over him. Repeatedly. It's nice to be loved, but couldn't he love me and FOLLOW me?!?!

Back to the subject at hand: How can people be so cruel?!?! And what is going on with the 11 year old?

when I saw the "100 dogs" & 11 yo girl, I immediately thought of Erin Maxwell.

I hope CPS is watching over this child.
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 12-09-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: changed 'girl' to 'child'
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Where does it say girl, I keep reading child?
    Not that that makes it any better.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

It is a known fact that people who abuse animals are likely to abuse children. The two go hand and hand. There needs to be tougher laws against animal cruelty and nelgect because of the potential for future crimes against children. I would also recommend education for these animal abusers, but you can't really teach empathy to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurser View Post
    It is a known fact that people who abuse animals are likely to abuse children. The two go hand and hand. There needs to be tougher laws against animal cruelty and nelgect because of the potential for future crimes against children. I would also recommend education for these animal abusers, but you can't really teach empathy to someone.

I couldn't of possibly said it better myself!!!!
    All my posts are my opinion only! Unless otherwise stated!

~Justice for all~

If someone raises a dog to be aggressive it will be, no matter what breed it is.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Link-less

In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    I just don't understand how people could be so mean. These dogs justed wanted to loved.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Where does it say girl, I keep reading child?
    Not that that makes it any better.
    typing too fast...fixed my post..thanks.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

oh man, this story breaks my heart. I hope the child is ok and that all the dogs are savable. I am praying for them all.

Prayers for this child and the dogs. I think it is scary when people own so many dogs. Like "hoarding", I think having more pets than it is humanly possible to care for, is a sign of mental illness.

I hope all are safe and warm by now.

Maybe it is worth a donation to the animal shelter when the dogs are taken to help them out with the food and necessities that will be needed for 100+ dogs taken in all in one day?

Salem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast