807 users online (137 members and 670 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IN - Jennifer Lee Schmidt, 19, West Lafayette, 6 Aug 1985

IN-Jennifer Lee Schmidt - missing 08/06/85 from West Lafayette, IN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: August 6, 1985 from West Lafayette, IN
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Height: 5' 6"
    Weight: 125 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Brown
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Fair complexion
    Clothing: White blouse, pink shorts and white flat shoes

Details of Disappearance
    Jennifer Schmidt, a Purdue University, electrical engineering major, from Dayton, Ohio, went missing in August 1985. On the summer afternoon she disappeared, Schmidt left her off-campus apartment to go speak with a professor. She was last seen talking to an acquaintance at Grant and Northwestern streets. At the request of her family, she was declared dead by the state of Ohio in May 1993.
    Foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency
    West Lafayette Police Department
    765-775-5200

----------------------------------------

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. I searched the site and did not find another posting for this young lady. Her mother was a co-worker of my mother's. I was 14 years old when she disappeared. I remember my parents talking about this. I've always wondered what happened to her. Now that I'm a mother, I cannot fathom the anguish that her parents must feel. Hopefully someone out there can help bring her home.

I am surprised to see no replies to this post. Anybody?
    Praying for Jason.
    Find Beaner!
    Where is Kayla Berg?
    Justice for Stephanie Low, 9-22-14 RIP Stephanie

Here's her listing on the Charley project:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._jennifer.html

She doesn't seem to be listed on NAMUS.

How can we go about getting her listed on NAMUS?

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraFarmgal View Post
    How can we go about getting her listed on NAMUS?
    Ok, I went out to NamUs, registered as a new user, and entered her information into the system. Hopefully that might generate some leads.

What happened? Did she met someone and changed her plans? Did she get to the university? Where did she go? It must be so frustrating for her family.

Bumping this. I am from the area and don't remember hearing about this case.

There seems to be very little info. Did she meet with her professor, when was she last seen, did she tell her friends who saw her last if she was going straight home. I wondered if she might have had to wal through a bad area, or if she decided to hitchhike because of bad weather, or she was running late.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Blue View Post
    Bumping this. I am from the area and don't remember hearing about this case.
    I just came across this looking for a different missing person case. I was in the area also ... I do remember hearing about it, but I'm shocked at how little attention it has received.

Nothing new in any of these sites, but just for completeness:

Doenet: http://doenetwork.org/cases/2775dfin.html

NAMPN: http://www.nampn.org/cases/schmidt_jennifer.html

Charley: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._jennifer.html

NAMUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4822/0/ says she has dentals available but no DNA or fingerprints.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Bumping. Hope some more info is found for this case. Poor girl.

i really can't believe this case is still open; i just saw it while searching for some other info. i lived in west lafayette from 81 to 88 and it seemed fairly common knowledge what had happened. it was more of a case of "how can we prove it". i would have thought what with the advances in forensics they would have brought the guy to justice since then.

i am so sorry for her family.

Local talk

Quote Originally Posted by SMG View Post
    i really can't believe this case is still open; i just saw it while searching for some other info. i lived in west lafayette from 81 to 88 and it seemed fairly common knowledge what had happened. it was more of a case of "how can we prove it". i would have thought what with the advances in forensics they would have brought the guy to justice since then.

i am so sorry for her family.
    So who was the "guy?" I'm genuinely curious, what have the local people been saying about this case. Was this a local person or someone just passing through town? Was it someone she knew?

So Tricia asked in a sticky announcement for each member to take 3 minutes of their time and find a case to post something on that someday might reach a loved one of a missing person or victim. As members we see so many cases. Some of them speak to us immediately, some cases we trip over while thinking we are about something else entirely. On reading Tricia's post I was driven to find someone to read about who was around my age when I gave birth to my first child as an 18 year old in September of 1985. In scrolling through the many cases listed in this forum I was compelled to stop here.

So able to remember how heavy my life was at this moment in time. How scary and intimidating the future felt to me at the age of 18. How open. How scary. And then I imagined my loved ones, and their heartbreak, had I just disappeared without a trace. Life ahead of me. The future wide open. All those possibilities. Just Hitting the wall.

Having spent 30 years being a mother at this point. I cannot even imagine how difficult a thing Jennifer's family must have faced. Must still face. Year after year. The not knowing. The hope. The desperation.

Please know that your daughter, sister, niece, friend, mattered. That even now, in September of 2015, people are just discovering Jen. People are here that acknowledge your pain, the loss of this young lady, and will evermore feel some sense of her and their connection to her. And will continue to do vigil with you.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast