NY - 100-year-old child molester to be freed

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34368560/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

"It's a chapter that prosecutors, judges and others who know him [ETA, Theodore Sypnier] never wanted — or expected — to see written."

".......the spry and active Sypnier has not changed from the manipulator who used his grandfatherly charm to snare and rape victims as young as 4."

That's quite a frightening statement to hear about a man who is 100 years old. Once a molester, always a molester. What about a civil commitment?

That's fascinating. You would think his sex drive would have diminished, but he was molesting little girls at 90. The mind boggles.

Ugh. When I saw this headline I thought he'd probably be in too bad a shape to do much of anything, but apparently not. Wow, he says he never harmed any children and then immediately says how he's looking forward to getting to know the children in his family. Hmm, yeah right.

All I can hope is that the family and the community have plans to circle the wagons around every single child Mr. Sypnier could possibly come into contact with. We need to listen to this man's words; he has a plan to "get to know" the younger members of his family. That's the red flag wake up call. Man the battle stations!!

Oh for good Lord's sake there's a ton of these "Senior" sex offenders.

I just look up this guy and there's a website JUST for senior offenders. I believe it because the freak that molested me was old. I was a child and comes to pass the dude was doing it for years after.

No doubt Sypnier will be at the local library on a computer. 100 years old. Un-freakin-believable. Here's the site that lists all these old coggers prepared to hurt kids.

http://www.parentsformeganslaw.org/...al/SENIOR_SEX_OFFENDERS/SENIOR_SEX_OFFENDERS/

I have a question and have been pondering this for a long time. Is there a particular website where child sex abuse victims can share their stories about known and convicted child rapists? I've always thought that this would be a great way to determine if there are other victims out there when someone is caught. It would also be cathartic for victims to share their stories and hopefully prevent the offender from repeating his/her crimes. Wouldn't it be a treasure trove for those who study this crime?

I certainly realize that their are privacy rules so I'm only referring to those who already have a conviction or are a RSO.

Can't you just see it--"I went to Center Junior High too and Mr. Clark cornered me in the closet. What year did you go there? Did you tell anyone? I told my math teacher but she just told me not to make up stories to get attention. Can you believe he got 20 years for raping a 12 year old?"

Does this exist? Could it?

I have a question and have been pondering this for a long time. Is there a particular website where child sex abuse victims can share their stories about known and convicted child rapists? I've always thought that this would be a great way to determine if there are other victims out there when someone is caught. It would also be cathartic for victims to share their stories and hopefully prevent the offender from repeating his crimes. Wouldn't it be a treasure trove for those who study this crime?

I certainly realize that their are privacy rules so I'm only referring to those who already have a conviction or are a RSO.

Can't you just see it--"I went to Center Junior High too and Mr. Clark cornered me in the closet. What year did you go there? Did you tell anyone? I told my math teacher but she just told me not to make up stories to get attention. Can you believe he got 20 years for raping a 12 year old?"

Does this exist? Could it?

Hmmm, that's a thought, MissIz. I guess we could say they have such a thing in regards to the Catholic Church predators. I forget what the name of the orginization is, but it obviously had people come forward and give more credit to the victim who was first to stand up and tell what hapened to them.

Legally I couldn't say. There's also the point that everyone isn't ready to come forward. It's an extremely delicate and personal thing. Again I'm only speaking for myself. It just stays buried for some people. Others it surfaces at specific times. An example being when you birth your own child OR when your child becomes the age you were when you were violated. That happened in my case. Talk about a whirlwind. It was kind of like "Why? Why now is this eating away at me? Why is it surfacing?"

Bottom line as we all know it ruins lives. It dictates how we live. I hate it.

Sorry for the tangent. Very good question though, Iz. Meanwhile I found this article on why elderly sex offenders are extremely dangerous. It's pretty interesting. Article is at the link below.

http://members.iquest.net/~dkoons/sexoffender.html

Filly--That's no tangent. That's just speaking the truth as you see it. I've watched as my children, who are survivors, have passed through the phases of remembering that you mention. I'm so sorry that you have this pain.

I've thought about this a long time (well, 11 years to be exact) and wondered why it doesn't exist on the internet--or if it does. I've watched as so many survivors on this site allow little bits and pieces of the pain to leak out every once in a while, especially when a crime hits close to home. I've just wondered why with all the current openness of speaking of past sexual abuse and the lessening of the shame and stigma, a forum for this specific issue hasn't been forthcoming.

There are so many sites searching for classmates, lost relatives, and even missed encounters. Why can't survivors have a page? I think the organization you may be referring to is SNAP:

http://www.snapnetwork.org/

They are a wonderful group helping address the horrible crime of abuse by clergy. But I think it should go farther. I've met siblings and cousins who've never spoken of a particular relative's insidious abuse within a family, even after they've been arrested. Maybe some aren't ready to speak out and be seen but could they post with details and dates as we do?

I realize there's probably a zillion privacy issues which would come into play but weren't those addressed as each social networking site came on board. How much more important is this? I guess an argument could be made that anyone could make accusations and thus defame a person's character even more. It's possible. But, remember that we are talking only about tried and convicted criminals. That narrows the field considerably.

When you think about it, we review books, products, stores, services...why not criminals? Why can't survivors say, "This is what happened to me."?

I just keep thinking about Mr. Sypnier and his 100 years. I have a horrid and sick feeling that he's left behind hundreds, if not thousands, of victims. I think that if I had been abused by him as a child, I would find solace in information about his tactics, his other victims, and his punishments. Somehow I think it would validate his evil and the victims' total lack of guilt. I would know that I wasn't alone in my pain. JMO

Thanks for the site. I'll read it thoroughly.

You guys, I highly recommend you read the link Filly provided above. It's got some startling information in it. Old molesters don't slow down as other criminals do. They just keep accruing new victims.

Notice that civil commitment is mentioned here. I wonder why that's not an option for Mr. Sypnier, especially given his barely veiled threat to get at his great grandchildren? Boy, if there was ever a call for it, it's in this case.

there's a good article on this monster here, too (I posted this in another thread so thought I'd bring it here)

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/886612.html?imw=Y

Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III says he has no sympathy for Sypnier, who portrayed himself as a loving grandfather to children he met.

"Mr. Sypnier is the personification of evil and should be removed from civilized society permanently, until the day he dies," Sedita said. "He is an unrepentant child molester who has been doing this or trying to do this for 60 years. He can't be cured. He's not sick. He's evil. He's not old. He's evil."

Sedita's predecessor, Frank J. Clark, said Sypnier remains "manipulative and pathological," even as a centenarian.

If you read the things he says -- like saying he worked 2 jobs when raising his family & "never had time to screw around with children" -- oh puhhhleeeeze -- it only takes seconds to devastate a child!

I think if I saw this pervy monster on the street it would be all I could do to not cause him physical harm.

Good look to him surviving on the outside. <==== snarky comment

I want to highlight this section from Filly's link- http://members.iquest.net/~dkoons/sexoffender.html

"Forbidden desires

The root of the problem, Streveler said, is that sex offenders feel innate desires for sex outside the realm of societal acceptability. Unlike a purse snatcher or burglar, a sex offender's cravings can't normally be stanched by imprisonment or counseling.

"Sex drive is one of the most powerful drives we have, and it reinforces itself through pleasure," he said. "It's a lifelong process for many of the people who commit these crimes."

If a young man, say, is sexually attracted to children, the attraction doesn't fade as he ages, Streveler said. Wisconsin just jailed an 82-year-old man convicted with molesting his great-granddaughter, Streveler said.

"A guy doesn't wake up one day at the age of 82 and say, 'I'm kind of attracted to my great-granddaughter,'" Streveler said. "It's a thing that's been going on for a long time. Sometimes, unfortunately, they have acted upon it, but it hasn't been reported." "**********************************************************

I completely agree with this statement. And you see it time and again. Their predeliction for the most base sex acts. And it is self-perpetuating since they can't ask their adult partners to do these things - especially in the previous, more *uptight* decades. Women didn't go along with that kind of stuff for the most part, and it would ruin the *image* of the good, clean, God fearing family man that they need to move in society and gain access to victims. Most mothers would try to protect their children from an obvious threat, but not from the nice, sweet grandpa across the street. Of course we now have more and more women willing to go along and even assist, and I have to say I believe that is a very bad sign for humanity and civilized society. Or maybe it was always so, and just not reported. These *people* rely and depend upon good people not believing that these things happen, because otherwise they would be too aware and it would get too hard for them to do what they do.

Rest homes are hot beds of sexual activity, so why assume the sex drive diminishes? And each time they get away with it heightens the thrill and ups the ante.

This guy makes my hands shake. He reminds me of one of my uncles, not physically, but the demeanor and the statements he makes. Of course, my uncle was never exposed and my family still sings his praises :sick:

This goes on during eras of sexual repression and eras of sexual freedom. The legality of prostitution seems to make no difference because they (offenders) are not attracted to prostitutes - but at least prostitution can and does provide a vocation for the victims since they can have difficulty functioning in society (where is the sarcasm emoticon?). What is the deal? Is this why the Bible preaches only sex inside marriage and in certain ways only? In an attempt to control this?

Ugh. When I saw this headline I thought he'd probably be in too bad a shape to do much of anything, but apparently not. Wow, he says he never harmed any children and then immediately says how he's looking forward to getting to know the children in his family. Hmm, yeah right.

I blanched at this too! The good news is that the article says his family does not want to be around him and I am assuming this is for the sake of the children.

Southcitymom--No, his family's kids will probably be safe. However, how many little kids are in New York who are desperate for grandfatherly attention and free treats? Even the man who runs the half-way house says that the community should be afraid as this man is smart and manipulative. It's only a matter of a few days IMO. I'm hopeful that LE are going to tag-team in watching this guy and make it a goal to catch him as he circles in for the kill. If ever there was a case for a five year old decoy, it's this case.

IWannaKnow--That was an excellent post. I think we all have so many misconceptions of sex offenders--even those of us who should know better. They never ever change. And ITA that many of their proclivities are forced upon a child as no adult will indulge them. And it is tragic that the only "sad silver lining" of prostitution is that it ensures the broken victims a lifetime of sexual slavery.

Texas Mist--Your posts are always so helpful and well organized. I for one like you best when you get a little snarky!! This guy deserves our snark.

Some old goats are just mean enough to outlive their sentences.

Even if a SO becomes impotent for some reason, they will usually continue to molest by other means. Because even if the physical ability is impaired, usually the fantasy doesn't. And this is one phase that they don't outgrow.

This guy has no intention of stopping and he doesn't care who knows it. I guess his theory is he is too old to change now. I wonder if they give birthday parties for 91 year olds in prison?

MissIzzy I think there are probably some sex abuse survivor forums or chatrooms on the net. But you would really want to be careful with those. There is always the danger of an SO trying to get his kicks by joining and interacting with other victims and reading victim stories. But if you want to check into it, google "sex abuse surivor forums chats message boards" and it will get you some hits.

To be clear, Sypnier was not sent back due to an offense. He was sent back for failing to participate in treatment. I'm a little worried about that too. If he served his full sentence, it is not typical for someone to be compelled to attend treatment--at least not in Oregon. When you've done your time, you're done--except for the RSO registry.

Let's hope that he doesn't get an attorney to fight this. Can the possible attorney work really really slowly so as to be very very thorough. You know attorneys need to be thorough and that takes A LOT of time and Mr. Sypnier is growing older every day..........

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/935203.html

"Sypnier's youngest daughter, an out-of-state resident who has told investigators she and another girl were raped by him as children, expressed relief Monday afternoon when told her father was being detained.

"I'll tell you one thing, I know many people are going to sleep a lot better with this knowledge," the 58-year-old woman said. "In a way, I'm surprised he didn't comply with parole. He is very, very smart, and he knows how to manipulate people to get what he wants."

I think more warnings and info should be put out about elderly sex offenders. I've read up on dementia, and some suffering from it can become hypersexually aggressive. It makes sense that sex offenders could become even worse when elderly if they have dementia (in addition to still being a sex offender).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back