CANADA Canada - Mistie Murray, 16, Goderich, Ont, 31 May 1995

Danaya

Reaction score
Mistie's Charley Project page http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murray_mistie.html

murray_mistie.jpg
murray_mistie3.jpg

Following information from her Charley Project page:

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: May 31, 1995 from Goderich, Ontario
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: October 28, 1978
Height and Weight: 5'3 - 5'4, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish-brown hair, gray/green eyes. Mistie has a mole on her right cheek and a gap between her two upper front teeth. Her nickname is Mistron. She may use the last names Oldfield and/or Kidd, or her birth name, Jean Marie Oldfield. Some agencies incorrectly give her middle name as Lynn. Mistie has five piercings in her right ear and two in her left, but was not wearing any earrings at the time of her disappearance.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Red shorts, black boots, rings on every finger, and possibly a dark green nylon jacket with "Mistie" on the right sleeve, "Flag" on the left sleeve, and "S.D.H.S. Girls Band" on the left side of the chest.

Mistie was last seen on May 31, 1995 in her hometown of Goderich, Ontario. She attended classes at the Goderich District Collegiate Institute on the day of her disappearance and also visited the school nurse, for reasons that have not been made public. She called her adoptive mother, Anne Murray, at work at 3:00 p.m. and could not reach her but left a message. Mistie never arrived home and has never been heard from again.

Mistie's biological mother, Darlene Oldfield, gave her up for adoption in 1980. Mistie spent several years in foster care before being adopted by Anne and Steven Murray in 1983. Her adoptive parents describe her as a friendly, outgoing child who initially performed well in school, but when she reached adolescence she developed personal problems and her grades fell. Mistie re-established contact with Oldfield and met her in person eight months before her disappearance. They were planning a weekend trip together and also were considering living together for the summer.

Investigators initially believed Mistie had run away from home. However, she had been very excited about the upcoming weekend visit with Oldfield and had already packed her suitcase, which was left behind when she vanished. She also left $200 on her bedroom dresser. If she disappeared of her own accord it makes little sense that she would have not taken those items.

Mistie's adult boyfriend, Jeremy Cook, says he last saw her on May 30, and he cashed a check and paid his rent that day. However, bank records show that Cook actually cashed the check on May 31, the day Mistie disappeared. There were reported sightings of Mistie at Cook's apartment on May 31 or June 1, but these have not been confirmed.

Over the course of several days in early June, a number of area teenagers who knew Mistie reported seeing her and speaking with her several times in Goderich and in nearby Clinton, Ontario. In late June, there were possible sightings of her in the Dundas/Adelaide area of London, Ontario, which is frequented by runaways and homeless children. The London witnesses reported that Mistie was involved with drugs and prostitution, and that she left London with her pimp because of the publicity about her disappearance. Police officers in Toronto, Ontario reported seeing someone matching Mistie's description begging on the streets. None of the sightings have been confirmed, however.

Authorities quickly discarded the runaway theory and, in September 1995, charged Steven with murdering Mistie. His trial was in 1997. Prosecutors stated that on the day of Mistie's disappearance, Steven took her out of Snug Harbor into Lake Huron, murdered her, and dumped her body near the center of the lake, where cold temperatures would keep it from surfacing. No motive for the alleged crime was offered. Steven admitted to going out on Lake Huron the day Mistie vanished, but said it was only for a very short trip. Multiple witnesses confirmed that Steven had been on dry land at the time the prosecution said he was killing Mistie, and the jury took less than an hour to acquit Steven of all charges.

Investigators have searched Lake Huron several times for Mistie's remains; they stated that, in spite of his acquittal, they still believe Steven murdered her. A later audit of the investigation into Mistie's case criticized police for failing to follow up on sightings and leads and focusing on the "weak" theory of Steven's guilt. The Murrays divorced after Mistie's disappearance. In 2000, they held a memorial service for Mistie. In 2002, they sued the police for $2.15 million for malicious prosecution and the failure to disclose vital evidence which would have exonerated Steven sooner.

Mistie remains missing and it is unclear whether foul play was a factor in her case. Her adoptive parents believe she ran away from home but is now deceased, possibly murdered by other street children. Mistie's biological mother also believes she is dead. The Charley Project is profiling her case due to the circumstances involved.

Mistie has been missing for nearly fifteen years. I wonder where all the missing people go.

bumping for mistie, come home soon...

This is a very strange case.....

I don't believe the "sightings"..

The Doe Network:
Case File 1221DFON

Left and Center: Murray, circa 1995; Right: Age-Progression to 28 (2006)

Mistie Nicole Murray
Missing since May 31, 1995 from Goderich, Ontario, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 28, 1978
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3" (160 cm); 115 lbs (52 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Reddish brown hair; Greyish/green eyes.
Marks, Scars: Mole on right cheek.
Clothing: Red shorts, black boots and perhaps a green jacket with Mistie on the left sleeve and a crest reading Seaforth Girls Trumpet Band. She wore rings on every fingers. Five piercings in her right ear and two in her left, but was not wearing any earrings when last seen.
AKA: Jean Marie Oldfield, Mistie Kidd, Mistron
Dentals: Space between two upper front teeth.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Murray was last seen leaving her school on May 31, 1995. She was seen at school that day attending classes and visiting the nurse.

Mistie left behind a packed suitcase and, on her dresser $200 and dozens of photos, the prelude of what was supposed to have been a trip to Halifax to meet the family of the woman who had given her up for adoption when she was two.
Between 14:30 and 15.00 that day, Mistie placed a phone call from her high school to the elementary school where her mother taught. But she didn't leave a message. That was the last known time Mistie would be known to try to communicate with her parents.

The day after Mistie was last reported seen at home, a friend spoke to her in the Bargain Shop in Goderich. Three teenagers who knew Mistie told police they thought they saw her walking the next day, June 2, along Highway 8 from Goderich to Clinton. And another teen, a member of the same marching band as Mistie, said she spotted her in the crowd at the Clinton Fair on June 3, wearing a green Seaforth band jacket.

In the next two weeks there were at least 20 reported sightings of Mistie, or a teenager who looked like her, in London. She was reported seen near Dundas and Glebe streets, hanging out with street kids.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police
877-318-3576
Or
Ontario Provincial Police
1-888-310-1122
Or
Huron Detachment
519-524-8314

Agency Case Number: 20060171

NCIC Number: M-840664677
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
NCMEC
The London Free Press
OPP

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1221dfon.html

I just read about this on Doe. This one bugs me since she was planning a trip to meet her bio mother's family. Weird.

I frequently think about Misty. Where is she? What happened?

(not sure if her name is spelled with a 'y' or 'ie' - I keep seeing both everywhere)

interesting that she visited the school nurse that day & called her mom at work at 3 p.m.

Mistie has been missing for nearly fifteen years. I wonder where all the missing people go.

I wonder also. According to this the police do not think any sightings after May 31 were credible.

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/files/250382829.4.pdf

Another missing person, Lois Hannah from the same area.

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/files/250382798.8.pdf

They went missing years apart but only a short distance. Map below for reference.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Ki...GEcbO8MoiDFmwIc8jPMwrg&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

I thought that I read somewhere that there was DNA evidence linking her to the Picton Farm. Anyone hear this?

No they have never... she dissapeared in Ontario...

I definitely know the police had been following leads. Any sightings I'm sure have been checked up on. I actually know for a fact as of April/May 1997 they were checking up on reported sightings, at least in London. I had 2 officers come to my door after being told that my boyfriend at the time had been seen with Mistie Murray and that I was in fact her. I had to show the officers my identification to prove that I wasn't her.

It's definitely nice to know that they had at least checked on these leads. It's too bad that nothing had ever come of them.

The link by RubyRed on 11 Nov 2011 does not seem to work now - can it be restored?

TIA.

I definitely know the police had been following leads. Any sightings I'm sure have been checked up on. I actually know for a fact as of April/May 1997 they were checking up on reported sightings, at least in London. I had 2 officers come to my door after being told that my boyfriend at the time had been seen with Mistie Murray and that I was in fact her. I had to show the officers my identification to prove that I wasn't her.

It's definitely nice to know that they had at least checked on these leads. It's too bad that nothing had ever come of them.

What do you think happened to her?

Mistie's case should be brought to the front page as a cold case.

I remember seeing her missing pictures, but, I didn't know her case until today.

Where is Mistie?

Could she have gone to the school nurse and called her mom because she was pregnant? That could be reason for her adult boyfriend to ham her? How old was he?

Bumping.

I was searching for cold cases in London during the 90's & came across this thread. I am almost positive I saw this girl during my days at H.B. Beal. It's only 3/4 blocks from Dundas & Adelaide.

Does anyone know if Misty wore an Adidas jacket? I really feel like this girl might've bummed a cigarette off me or something. For some reason I recall an Adidas jacket with black stripes down the sleeves. They were popular back then, with dark green or burgundy. It doesn't matter but I feel like I saw her back then.

I do not understand these missing cases either. Where does everyone go? It's haunting.

This case shares so many (too many?) similarities with Christine Harron's disappearance. Same area (a good 1 hour's drive from Goderich to Hanover, where CH was last seen), same age, height and weight, brown curly hair, last seen going to/leaving school, both in May (just over two years apart), body never found. They've charged someone in CH's case (Anthony Ringel), hope they're looking into where he was when Mistie disappeared as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back