GUILTY OR - Jeanette Maples, 15, dies of abuse, torture in Eugene, 9 Dec 2009

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/grandmother_of_slain_teen_says.html

"The step-grandmother of a 16-year-old Eugene girl who police say was abused and tortured before her death on Wednesday says she repeatedly called a state child abuse hotline, trying to get someone to check on the teenager.

According to court documents, Jeanette Maples' death "came in the course of, or as a result of intentional maiming and torture." Her mother, Angela McAnulty, 41, and stepfather, Richard McAnulty, 40, appeared in court Thursday to face aggravated murder charges."

An agency review is scheduled but it's too late for our sweet Jeanette. Her grandma tried but Oregon failed her. RIP little girl.

Oh Miss, man that's awful. Poor Jeanette. Poor, poor kid.

OK-well lesson learned on the back of this angel-call the police. BYPASS CPS-call the cops...OH MY GOD. What kind of sadist tortures and maims their own child? I wish I believed in hell. All I can do is hope that this child did not die in vain.

What makes me so angry here is that the poor little girl said she had "fallen down".
And those people actually still believe that??
This is wrong in so many ways. It just

OK-well lesson learned on the back of this angel-call the police. BYPASS CPS-call the cops...OH MY GOD. What kind of sadist tortures and maims their own child? I wish I believed in hell. All I can do is hope that this child did not die in vain.

That doesn't always work either. The police remove them but CPS gives them right back anyway. Police removed my grand with handprint bruises on him. CPS gave him right back two days later; said they couldn't prove who's hands they were.

That doesn't always work either. The police remove them but CPS gives them right back anyway. Police removed my grand with handprint bruises on him. CPS gave him right back two days later; said they couldn't prove who's hands they were.

Here is what I would wonder-could you as a grandparent insist on an assault and battery being investigated? Because I am at a loss-If I hit you hard enough to make a handprint bruise while walking down the street I would be cuffed and taken to jail. Why do "family members" warrant a pass on that process?

This is the disconnect in the justice system for me.....

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/grandmother_of_slain_teen_says.html

An agency review is scheduled but it's too late for our sweet Jeanette. Her grandma tried but Oregon failed her. RIP little girl.

"Gene Evans, a Human Services spokesman, could not provide any details on the child abuse hotline calls. One of the purposes of the investigation is to find out what happened, he said.

Whenever a child known to state child welfare officials dies or is seriously injured, Oregon law requires the Department of Human Services to convene a critical incident response team to comb through the agency's files and contacts with the family".

What part of "hotline" don't they understand? :furious:

Holy Mother of God, this is horrible! How can a "mother" even contemplate doing anything like this to her flesh and blood?! I hope she doesn't get by with an insanity plea. I also hope she is in the general jail population!

Believe09--You know, it can go either way. Sometimes Children's Services has more power, sometimes the police do. I can't remember which post it was but it came up that the police have to literally witness or hear abuse occurring while CPS can start an investigation on an anonymous tip. Although, isn't it interesting that one can go to the police with sexual abuse disclosures. Hmmm.

I think the lesson learned (which won't further systemic change one whit, I'm afraid) is that by-standers must be unwilling to give up. They have to call anyone and everyone. They have to make a fuss, throw a tizzy, be the squeaky wheel until they get attention for a child. It's not right AT ALL. But I doubt that the police would have been able to do anything either if the child said she'd fallen down. How many teens fall down, anyway? I would like to know what this teen's school has to say.

Here's a current article from the Eugene Register Guard:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...canulty-richard-mcanultys-thompson-eugene.csp

"A Eugene truck driver and his wife were arrested and charged Thursday with murdering the woman’s 16-year-old daughter by neglecting and torturing her, officials said. The girl, identified as Jeanette Marie Maples, died Wednesday night at Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield.

Medics from the Eugene Fire Department took the teen to the hospital after someone at the Howard Avenue home of Angela and Richard McAnulty called 911 just before 8 p.m. Wednesday to report that a person there was not breathing, Lane County sheriff’s officials said. When medics arrived at the north Eugene home off River Road, they found the girl injured and unconscious in a bathtub, sheriff’s Capt. Bill Thompson said."

The following quote is ominous sounding. What did they do to that child?

"Thompson declined to say exactly what sort of abuse investigators suspect the McAnultys inflicted upon the teen. But he said the circumstances of her death affected detectives working the case."

"Jeanette Maples was a home-schooled student registered with Lane Education Service District, Assistant Superintendent Carol Knobbe said."

I just called an Oregon special education teacher and she told me that, given the info in this article, the most likely scenario here is that this young lady was home schooled but was receiving some special education services through the ESD. Oregon has very liberal laws and rules on home schooling. However, if a child is registered with the ESD, it is typically to receive special services.

I can't quite figure out why I had a sense about this from the first moment I read the news release. It might have been the innocent and almost child-like response to the grandmother, "I fell down", instead of a convoluted cover-up story. I could be all wet but I believe that this couple horribly tortured and killed a little girl with special needs. This hurts me deeply as these are the children who fill my life.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/79076137.html

From a friend:

"She deserves something good in her life. I don't think that's what she had"

EUGENE, Ore. -- Friends of Jeanette Maples set up a candlelight vigil to remember her after investigators left the house Thursday night, and neighbors struggled to comprehend what took place in their quiet corner of the River Road neighborhood.

Friends said Maples was a quiet girl, and that they always knew something was wrong.

Details about Maples and her family are still emerging. She enrolled at Cascade Middle School in 2006 and completed the 8th grade. Instead of attending Willamette High School, she enrolled as a homeschool student.

From a neighbor:

"I would see her in the backyard with her dog, holding her dog on the side of her house. I waved at her a couple times and said hi. She was just real shy and would turn and walk away from me."

I just read some of the comments following an article about Jeanette and a very important issue was brought up. Anonymous tipline calls rarely get the same level of attention as those where the reporter gives their name and more details and context of a concern. I don't doubt this a bit in this economy.

People should keep in mind that the reporter remains anonymous to the person being reported unless they are subpoenaed to testify in court. The person in question can also subpoena the records after a trial or after a case is closed to learn who reported them. Most people don't take the time to do this, however.

Even though I understand that this grandmother was worried about "losing" contact with her grandkids, I seriously doubt that the parents would have ever known who made "the call". That's cold comfort now, I know. This poor woman must be grieving terribly. It's really tragic.

Caseworkers are trained to be vague about details when they confront a possible abuse/neglect situation. They don't just knock on a door and say, "Mrs. Johnson down the street called and said she saw you smack Travis." They are far more likely to ask to speak to you and Travis and ask how things are going. Then, they might tell you that there's been a report that some harmful or inappropriate discipline or name calling (emotional abuse) or lack of supervision has been reported. They might also ask to speak to the child alone and they have the authority to check the child's body for abuse. If there are greater concerns, they can have a doctor check the child.

If there is a concern about neglect such as--no food in the house, lack of supervision, health concerns, etc.--there will often be referrals to parenting classes and assistance in accessing resources such as food stamps or low cost child care.

A case will be staffed and a decision will be made whether the report is founded or unfounded/closed. If it is founded, a parent will be consulted on an "action plan" to correct the offense. It is rare that children are taken out of the home unless serious physical abuse, sexual abuse, life threatening neglect or criminal activity is noted.

A parent also has the right to deny access to their home and/or their child until they have consulted an attorney or CPS has a court order. I'm not a case worker but I've worked in the field of adoption for 25 years and many of my friends are front line workers. This is just a short overview of how the typical report plays out.

I've made many many calls in my life and I have to say, I've felt listened to about 80% of the time. I haven't always gotten the result I wanted but I've felt as if I have provided important information. People also need to remember that calls are logged and even if no offense is noted, there is a record of that call. So many people don't know that. Your call could be the one that really gets attention as you report the same worrisome situation that others have told about. Even if a parent has slipped by on an unfounded case, another call can get the needed attention.

CPS can seem horribly invasive and it is truly mortifying for a parent who has done nothing wrong. For those who have been wrongly reported, there should be some comfort in knowing that neighbors and teachers and community member are paying attention. You'll get over the embarrassment. And you would do the same thing if you saw something amiss.

But, a tragic death can the outcome of silence. Make the call. And don't stop calling until you make someone listen to you. Call back and check. Be a pain. Err on the side of caution. You can also call a school to report abuse or neglect. You don't even need to know a child's name, just a description will do. The school won't be able to give you any info about the child because of confidentiality laws, but you can share all your concerns and they will take it from there. They are mandated reporters.

And for serious physical abuse, any sexual abuse, or neglect which is putting the child's safety in danger; don't fool around or wait for offices to open, call 911.

Rest in peace, Jeanette. I hope you are romping with lots of sweet doggies.

Where was Jeanette's birth father and the 4 natural grandparents? The only family we are hearing from is the step father's family.

http://www.crimenews2000.com/print.php?news.2197

"Sixteen-year-old Jeanette Maples [ETA: It has now been clarified that Jeanette was actually 15] had lived at the house on Howard Avenue with her biological mother and stepfather for the past few months along with a 12-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy, according the the Lane County Sheriff's Office. Her biological father was not involved in her life."

I checked and it looks like the family moved up from Rancho Cucamonga, CA (in the Inland Empire) about 2-3 years ago. Neither parent has a record apparently. I'm thinking that either or both parent are abusers or that possibly Jeanette had some challenges which the family could not handle. Nothing excuses their actions, however!! JMO

RIP Sweet Jeanette.

This story is not getting any better. This story will get worse and worse...

I am short on words, I can only hope that God hears all of the prayers and helps these families that must be going through hell.

When kids are important to our government, we may see some changes being made. Right now, I don't feel like there is much being done to protect the most vulnerable in our country.

Her picture breaks my heart. She looks just like my step daughter did at that age. Love the impish smile. TWA sweet girl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back