Phillipine Volcano - Eruption Imminent

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/15/philippines.volcano.mayon/index.html

t1larg.philippines.volcano.mayon.afp.getty.file.jpg

(CNN) -- Philippines authorities Tuesday started evacuating about 50,000 people living around the island nation's most active volcano after it oozed fiery lava and belched clouds of ash.

A large-scale eruption was forecast as imminent.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology raised the alert level up a notch on Monday night to level 3. Scientist Alex Baloloy told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that under level 3, "a full-blown eruption is expected to take place within weeks to days."

He said seismic instruments detected 83 volcanic quakes, a majority of which were tremors associated with rockfalls.

People in Albay province, about 466 kilometers (290 miles) south of the capital, Manila, flocked to town centers to catch a glimpse of glowing lava cascading down the slopes of Mayon. The volcanic mountain soars 2,464 meters (8,077 feet) into the sky and has erupted 49 times since the first documented erupted in 1616.

I hope this thing blows soon. I can't imagine being away from home for weeks waiting to see how bad it's gonna be. Also, I wonder how the people are going to make money while waiting.

My gosh, I can't imagine being moved from my home like that, but I also wouldn't be like the people who stayed on Mt. St. Helens.

If you want to see the space view on Google Earth just type in Mayon Volcano and it will take you there.

Some more pictures of the Mayon Volcano THESE ARE NOT RECENT PICTURES OF THE VOLCANO. I FOUND THEM ARCHIVED ON THE INTERNET.

mayonspace.jpg

mayon_volcano.jpg

Pyroclastic_flows_at_Mayon_Volcano.jpg

5978_mt_mayon_volcano_water_buffalo-600.jpg

http://wowlegazpi.com/2009/03/02/mayon-volcano-graces-pdi-front-page/

mayon_inquirer2.jpg

Mayon Volcano Graces PDI Front Page
Submitted by Dex on March 2, 2009 – 11:31 pm
Mayon Volcano Graces PDI Front Page

Albay’s Mayon Volcano was featured on the front page of the Philippine Daily Inquirer for the issue dated March 1, 2009. The photo was taken by Dr. Jullie Sy, a surgeon from Legazpi City on June 22, 2007 at 7 a.m. The magnificent photo showed the symmetrical-coned volcano bathed in early morning light and adorned with a ‘wispy shawl’ of white clouds. A flock of seven birds flew past the lovely scene just in time as the photographer took the shot. The photo has a special significance for the Sy because his lucky number has always been 7 (he was also born on July 7th).

mayon-volcano-erupting-above-l.jpg

It looks like there's a lot of people who will have to be evacuated if that metropolitan area is within the eruption zone.

LegazpiMayon.jpg

060808_mayon_vlrg_7a.widec.jpg

mayon-volcano1.jpg

Eruption expected soon.

(CNN) -- Philippine authorities on Sunday raised the alert status of the country's most active volcano to level 4 and established an extended danger zone around it, saying an eruption is imminent.

The status change at the Mayon volcano "means that a hazardous explosive eruption is possible within days," according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

VOLCANO ALERT LEVELS
Level O: No alert
Level 1: Abnormal
Level 2: Increasing unrest
Level 3: Increased tendency toward eruption
Level 4: Hazardous eruption imminent
Level 5: Hazardous eruption

Source: Philippine Institute of
Volcanology and Seismology

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiap...ppines.evacuate/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Saying it will erupt within days. Warning: the picture at link of the people going out in trucks, leaving all their belongings will break your heart.
I will start looking into who will heading the relief effort and where to send donations, as these people will need a lot of help after this, more than likely. Lots of misplaced people and a lot of homeless, very soon.
heartbreaking, but the photos of the volcano are beautiful. A good reminder that us humans are not really in control of very much.

World Vision and Red Cross are active in that area...I think.

Update

(CNN) -- Fountains of red-hot lava shot up from the intensifying Mayon volcano as the Philippines awaited an imminent eruption, the country's national news agency reported Tuesday.

Tens of thousands of people have already fled their homes. More than 9,000 families -- a total of 44,394 people -- are being housed in evacuation camps after authorities raised the alert status of the country's most active volcano, Albay Province Gov. Joey Salceda said.

The Philippine Institute on Volcanology and Seismology was considering ratcheting up the volcano alert to the highest level, which would mean an eruption was underway, the Philippine News Agency (PNA) reported.

Please post updates if possibe, my son, his wife and 3 grandbabies live in Quezon City near Manila. I'm searching for new info and have tried to email and contact them on facebook and no luck yet. Thank you!

Just talked to my oldest grandson on facebook and the are south of expected affected areas. But those poor people...he says it's really a mess down there.

Just talked to my oldest grandson on facebook and the are south of expected affected areas. But those poor people...he says it's really a mess down there.

Very glad to hear your family is doing well. :dance:

Amazing Pictures, scary and dangerous, but amazing.

Lava is one of the most beautiful sights on this planet. Unfortunately one of the deadliest too.

Well beautiful unless it looks like a flaming dog turd. :crazy:

1-lava-flow.jpg

lava-flow-hawaii-763906-xl.jpg

lava-flow-i.jpg

LavaFlowRoad2.jpg

LavaflowMarch508.jpg

anat_lava_flow.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors