Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Regular Bank Robbery Sentence

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/12/15/pkg.armed.robbery.break.down.kxan[/ame]

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Gun-and-wine-wielding-woman-speaks-out

"I don't want people to think I'm some lunatic," said Cayton, two days after bonding out of jail. "I was robbed, literally robbed. I had tried everything to get my money back."

In 2008, Cayton took all the money out of her 401K plan and IRA and invested it into real estate through Triton Financial. However, she said she heard nothing about her $125,000 investment for months. She started searching for answers.

"I had to go there and ask for my statements," she said. "I was getting nothing from them."

Putting a gun from a yard sale and a box of bullets in her purse, Cayton drove to Triton Financial, charged into the CEO Kurt Barton's office and demanded he give her money back.

A Gun from a yard sale!! :eek:

I think she might be a lunatic to begin with for investing all her savings into real estate in the midst of a global economic crisis

Wow did I hear that correctly? The gun was purchased from a yard sale?

I think anytime you threaten someone's life with a gun you deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Crazy lady...

She wanted/needed her money and now she will have to spend it all on attorneys to try to keep her hiny out of jail. Sad.

Why didn't she just call the police, State Attorney or a lawyer?

Salem

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/12/15/pkg.armed.robbery.break.down.kxan

"I don't want people to think I'm some lunatic," said Cayton, two days after bonding out of jail. "I was robbed, literally robbed. I had tried everything to get my money back."

In 2008, Cayton took all the money out of her 401K plan and IRA and invested it into real estate through Triton Financial. However, she said she heard nothing about her $125,000 investment for months. She started searching for answers.

"I had to go there and ask for my statements," she said. "I was getting nothing from them."

Putting a gun from a yard sale and a box of bullets in her purse, Cayton drove to Triton Financial, charged into the CEO Kurt Barton's office and demanded he give her money back.

Wait. SHE invested her $ in real estate, and now is calling it "robbery" that the $ isn't all there? Isn't that the nature of investments? It's always risky to put your money into ANY investment, and there is ALWAYS the risk of losing some or all of your investment.

I think she is a lunatic. She is still not cognizant that what she did is CRIMINAL, she is still blaming it on the ones SHE attempted to rob.

Wait. SHE invested her $ in real estate, and now is calling it "robbery" that the $ isn't all there? Isn't that the nature of investments? It's always risky to put your money into ANY investment, and there is ALWAYS the risk of losing some or all of your investment.

I think she is a lunatic. She is still not cognizant that what she did is CRIMINAL, she is still blaming it on the ones SHE attempted to rob.

Welcome to the new "It's Not My Fault" world!

Well she might be a little crazy but I sure would like more info on the investments that she made with the bank. How do you put $125,000 dollars in and recieve only $25,000 of it back ? I would probally be a little crazy myself .

Crazy Story Of Texas Woman Holding Up Alleged Ponzi Scheme That Hired Heisman Trophy Winners

On December 11, Christine Cayton wandered into Austin's Triton Financial
dressed in her pajamas holding a bottle of wine in one hand and a glass in the other.

Then she pulled a handgun, and demanded Triton return her $125,000 investment.

(She's embarrassed now, but she still wants her money back. There's a video of her explaining her actions below.)

It's no excuse for gun fire, but it just so happens the SEC recently charged Triton and its CEO, Kurt Barton with luring investors into a $50 million Ponzi scheme, saying the firm associated with football players "to build a facade of legitimacy and build investor trust." How did they do it?

For starters, here's their website claiming, "Teamwork. Accountability. Trust." Also sketchy, former quarterback Jeff Blake sent an email to NFL players claiming that over the past five years, Triton investments had returned an annual average of 32 percent.

Also, it just so happens that Triton associate -- former Heismann winner Ty Detmer -- just left the firm to coach a local high school team. Weirdly, this Austin American-Statesman piece on the move barely mentions Triton's problems.

Of course the firm's numbers lie too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/alleged-ponzi-scheme-triton-financial-2009-12

Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Triton Financial faces SEC lawsuit

The U.S. Securities Exchange Commission Tuesday sued Austin-based Triton Financial LLC, accusing the investment firm and Heisman Trophy Trust co-sponsor of defrauding investors in an insurance venture.

The complaint alleges Triton and founder and CEO Kurt Barton used investor funds for purposes other than those expressly mentioned and submitted “altered or fabricated” data to regulators.

The company raised about $50 million in six years, but the lawsuit focuses on $8.4 million given by about 90 people between July 2008 and October this year

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2009/12/21/daily24.html

I certainly hope this woman gets all her money back and them some ... There is nothing I hate more then a thief !

Well she might be a little crazy but I sure would like more info on the investments that she made with the bank. How do you put $125,000 dollars in and recieve only $25,000 of it back ? I would probally be a little crazy myself .

Crazy Story Of Texas Woman Holding Up Alleged Ponzi Scheme That Hired Heisman Trophy Winners

On December 11, Christine Cayton wandered into Austin's Triton Financial
dressed in her pajamas holding a bottle of wine in one hand and a glass in the other.

Then she pulled a handgun, and demanded Triton return her $125,000 investment.

(She's embarrassed now, but she still wants her money back. There's a video of her explaining her actions below.)

It's no excuse for gun fire, but it just so happens the SEC recently charged Triton and its CEO, Kurt Barton with luring investors into a $50 million Ponzi scheme, saying the firm associated with football players "to build a facade of legitimacy and build investor trust." How did they do it?

For starters, here's their website claiming, "Teamwork. Accountability. Trust." Also sketchy, former quarterback Jeff Blake sent an email to NFL players claiming that over the past five years, Triton investments had returned an annual average of 32 percent.

Also, it just so happens that Triton associate -- former Heismann winner Ty Detmer -- just left the firm to coach a local high school team. Weirdly, this Austin American-Statesman piece on the move barely mentions Triton's problems.

Of course the firm's numbers lie too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/alleged-ponzi-scheme-triton-financial-2009-12

Well that explains that then.

She gave herself permission to do what most people would IMAGINE doing, but would seek legitimate, and legal means instead.

That alone is lunatic. It's no excuse for gunfire and pajama wearing/wine bottle brandishing. She should be given back ALL 125K, AND, use a great deal of it on a good lawyer to defend herself.

As tempting as it sounds to anyone who has lost a bucket of money, this woman made the same mistake all criminals make. She is selfish. She is only thinking of herself and no one else.

Did she think that the tellers at the bank were the ones who took her money? How about the security guard? Okay, maybe she could justify it to herself that they were being paid with ill-gotten gains, but what about other customers? Some of whom might have been taken the same way she was. Did she care that they might have lost their savings AND had to survive the trauma of a bank robbery?

What if the gun had gone off, even accidentally, and hurt or killed someone? How justified would she have felt then? Selfish selfish selfish.

Punish her to the full extent of the law. But then punish the bank and everyone involved in that scheme as well.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/12/15/pkg.armed.robbery.break.down.kxan

Heck yeah they sell guns at yard sales. Just not here.

This sounds like something my mom would do if she had a 401K. Oh and if she could walk.

Hey, sometimes people just reach their breaking point. The lady wanted her loot.

She wanted/needed her money and now she will have to spend it all on attorneys to try to keep her hiny out of jail. Sad.

Why didn't she just call the police, State Attorney or a lawyer?

Salem

Yah, or fill out a withdrawal slip. If she put the money in the bank, she could have -- or should have -- been able to get it out without resorting to such violent actions!

When I was much younger and you had to fill out deposit slips at the bank I wrote; "This is a stickup hand over all the money!!" on the back of one of the slips and put it down in the pile. I wonder if a little old lady came up to make a withdrawal and was surrounded by cops!! :eek: :angel:

The gun is what is going to sink her and/or draw mandatory Fed time. When NO gun is used, the FBI usually turns it over to the locals, nowadays. Watching for terrorists, etc has there hands full, or so it is said. Not an LE expert, merely an ex-offender.

maybe she can claim that moment of insanity defense. i think its hard to judge this women and her actions because i cant imigine being retired and finding out i was scammed out of ALL my money.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back