Thread: Animal Rescuer Arrested for not Returning a Wounded Dog-ID

Animal Rescuer Arrested for not Returning a Wounded Dog-ID

Troy A. Jackson, 36, who has headed the Boise-based animal rescue group Northwest Animal Companion for more than a decade, was arrested Wednesday and charged with felony grand theft for taking an injured dog and its puppies from Eastern Idaho's Jefferson County.

Jackson was released from the Ada County jail on $25,000 bond. He's due in court on Dec. 22, he said.

X-rays indicated that the dog did have a broken front leg and pelvis. She was spayed at the clinic.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/1004811.html

This is being talked about quite a bit here locally on the radio and the news. I personally don't think this guy should have been arrested. And his bond was $25,000? Seriously. I've seen people who have abused animals getting less punishment than this. I think the owner of the dog should be charged, not this man. Several people tried to get the dog help, and it didn't happen until this man stepped up. Cursious to see what others think.
    Last edited by Recovering-Lurker; 12-17-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added link.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Recovering-Lurker For This Useful Post:

JB Fletcher is offline Adversity does not build character, it reveals it.
    OMG! Kuddos to this man for stepping up to the plate and saving that dog.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB Fletcher For This Useful Post:

Is there a link for the story ?
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mysticrose View Post
    Is there a link for the story ?
    Whoops! Forgot that part. I added it to my original post.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Recovering-Lurker For This Useful Post:

I find it very strange that some child molesters will have a lower bond set than this. Go figure.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    I find it very strange that some child molesters will have a lower bond set than this. Go figure.
    I agree!!

It sounds to me like this man was just trying to help the dog and her puppies. I find this ridiculous!!!

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful One For This Useful Post:

Maybe after the dog owner found out that he could get $500 for three of the puppies he decided he wanted to keep them all.

Sad day when someone trying to help innocent animals gets charged with a crime (and with a bail higher than child molesters and some who have committed worse crimes).

Please keep us posted.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Recovering-Lurker View Post
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/1004811.html

This is being talked about quite a bit here locally on the radio and the news. I personally don't think this guy should have been arrested. And his bond was $25,000? Seriously. I've seen people who have abused animals getting less punishment than this. I think the owner of the dog should be charged, not this man. Several people tried to get the dog help, and it didn't happen until this man stepped up. Cursious to see what others think.

Is there a fund for this guys legal defense? I'd like to contribute.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

Yes, please keep us updated on what happens with this case.

Wow! This is ridiculous. IMHO, they charged the wrong person. It's the owner who should be charged with animal cruelty.

fran

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

I just called my friend who's a DA. She's laid up this holiday after a surgery. I begged her to offer this guy some free legal advice as she's a huge animal lover too. I don't think the man will go unrepresented for long. Thank goodness the Momma and puppies are safe. Keep us posted on this one.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

This is ridiculous... What a waste of time. One cannot even do a good deed anymore without being arrested..

I hope he can get representated.

Keep us posted.

Happy Holidays
    Gozgals

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gozgals For This Useful Post:

I'm so glad to see you all feel the same way I do. The man has gotten a lot of positive attention since the story broke. I'm not sure about a fund for his legal defense, but if I hear of one, I'll post it.

Looks like he does have a lawyer.
    Troy Jackson's attorney claims this case and the charges are ridiculous saying his client was just trying to help an animal in distress.

"They are likely all alive because of what he did. He's not a criminal, he should be someone who the community should rally and support," explained Chuck Peterson, Jackson's defense attorney. "He's shocked and confused and probably we all should be."
    And more from the same article:
    He says he's been helping owners get their animals medical help for 12-years and he's never had to deal with such an ordeal and accusations as these.

Jackson will appear in Jefferson County court on December 22nd.

If convicted, he faces up to 14-years in prison and a $5,000 fine.
    I guarantee there will be an uproar if he is convicted.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=11676833

Troy A. Jackson, director of the Boise-based animal rescue group, Northwest Animal Companions, was charged Wednesday with felony grand theft after Jefferson County authorities allege he took Barbie and her puppies from Jefferson County without the owner's consent. Another animal welfare worker, Andi Elliott, from the Upper Valley Humane Society, was charged earlier this month with trespassing after she tried to talk with the owner of the dog.
    http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...ct_121509.html

Here is the Northwest Animal Companions website. They are just awesome. They are in the works to open Almost Home, a no-kill animal sanctuary.
    http://nacrescue.org/

I will keep everyone updated if I hear anything.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Recovering-Lurker For This Useful Post:

What a hero this man is! Don't the prosecutors have anything else better to do? I can send them some suggestions.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    What a hero this man is! Don't the prosecutors have anything else better to do? I can send them some suggestions.
    Right? How about they go after the ones that abuse children and animals instead of the ones that save them!