696 users online (99 members and 597 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,328

    CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

    Her story breaks my heart. The family has held a memorial service for her.
    Have You Seen Me?
    Deanie Marie Pyle Peters
    Mary Jo Lee Long
    Leanna "Beaner" Warner
    Jodi Huisentruit
    Amy Billig
    Rachael Garden
    Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley
    The Springfield Three
    Fawn & Rozlin Abell
    The Forth Worth Trio
    Rachel Mellon Skemp

    ***
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/photos/full/20806
    Where is Sharon Rose Sons?
    Discuss her case here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...aron+rose+sons

    "We lose our keys, we lose our glasses..but how, in America, do we lose our children?!"-Molly Bish's Mother
    **All posts are my opinion.**

  2. #2

    Jonelle Matthews, 12, missing Christmas week 1984

    25 years later, Jonelle Matthews disappearance still baffles

    Two and a half decades later, there are still no answers.

    The 12-year-old girl who disappeared during Christmas week in 1984 is still gone, and there is no real hope that she will ever be seen again.

    On the night of Dec. 20, 1984, Jonelle Matthews sang Christmas carols with her school choir and was taken home by a friend. When her father came home an hour later, she was gone.

    No trace has ever been found of Jonelle; no arrests, no evidential DNA, no answers.

    http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...ntprofile=1001

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    372
    Never heard of this one before. Alot has been left out of this story. Why do they think she was raped in the house and why do they think she was incinerated?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077

    Jonelle Renee Matthews, 12, Missing since December 20, 1984 from Greeley, CO

    Jonelle Renee Matthews
    Missing since December 20, 1984 from Greeley, Weld County, Colorado.
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction

    Vital Statistics

    Date Of Birth: February 9, 1972
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3 (160 cm.); 115 lbs. (52 kg.)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown curly hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: Her ears are pierced. She also has a scar on her chin.

    Clothing: Matthews was last seen wearing a light blue ski jacket; red blouse; dark gray sweater vest; charcoal gray skirt; and house slippers.
    Dentals: Matthews had braces on her teeth at the time of her disappearance

    Circumstances of Disappearance

    Matthews performed in a middle school Christmas concert and was dropped off by friends at her west Greeley home at 20.15. (8:30 PM)

    Jonelle took a phone call from a teacher at her father's school at 20.30. But when her father got home about 21.30, he found the garage door open, and Jonelle was gone. The lights and the television were turned on inside the house, but there was no sign of Matthews.

    Her stockings and shoes were on the floor. The Greeley police discovered footprints in the garage and in the back of the house.

    Jonelle was adopted by the Matthews' when she was a baby.

    Investigators

    If you have any information concerning Matthews' whereabouts, please contact:

    Greeley Police Department
    Detective Bill West
    970-350-9611

    All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

    Agency Case Number: 84-41032

    NCMEC #: NCMC601837
    NCIC Number: M-141276311

    Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

    Source Information:

    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    Longmont FYI
    The Doe Network: Case File 198DFCO

    LINK:

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/198dfco.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,095
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...65/detail.html
    'snipped'
    GREELEY, Colo. -- Two and a half decades later, there are still no answers.

    The 12-year-old girl who disappeared during Christmas week in 1984 is still gone, and there is no real hope that she will ever be seen again.

    On the night of Dec. 20, 1984, Jonelle Matthews sang Christmas carols with her school choir and was taken home by a friend. When her father came home an hour later, she was gone.
    trace has ever been found of Jonelle; no arrests, no evidential DNA, no answers.

    This year, police have made arrests in two of Greeley's longtime mysteries: the Mary Pierce slaying and the Tina Tournai Sandoval disappearance. Those two cases will likely go to trial next year.

    But not the Jonelle Matthews case. There are still too many unanswered questions.

    Her parents, Jim and Gloria Matthews, had Jonelle officially declared dead in 1994, 10 years after her disappearance. There was a funeral service, and dozens of family friends said goodbye.

    But in recent years, little has happened with the Matthews case. It's still considered an open case in the Greeley Police Department.

    "We occasionally get a tip on the case, but that usually involves a body that was recovered somewhere," said Lt. Brad Goldschmidt. "If the body was old enough, they might contact us because Jonelle is still considered a missing person. But we haven't had anything for a few years."

    Goldschmidt said Jonelle's DNA is on the national database now, in case something turns up, but they had no DNA from a suspect at the scene of her abduction. Her photo -- and an "age progressed" photo of what she would look like at 37 years old can be found on the Web site for The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

    On the night she disappeared, Jonelle was driven home from a middle school concert by a friend and her mother. They dropped Jonelle in front of the house in the 300 block of 43rd Avenue in the Pheasant Run subdivision, and noted that the garage door already was open. The friends watched her walk into the house. They were the last people known to have seen the girl.

    While she was home, she took a teacher's message for her father, who was the principal at Platte Valley Elementary School in Kersey.

    Jim Matthews came home about an hour later, after attending a basketball game for his older daughter, Jennifer. He found Jonelle's shoes and a shawl near a space heater in the family room. Usually, when she watched TV, Jonelle would sit close to the heater.

    'snippet'
    The Matthews still remember Jonelle's birthday, and still have the Christmas ornaments she made in elementary school. They hang them on the tree each Christmas.

    ..more at link..
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    The 12-year-old was taken from her home Dec. 20, 1984, after she returned from a Christmas concert at a nursing home with her middle school choir. Her mother, Gloria, was out of state visiting her parents; her father, Jim, attended the older sister's basketball game, and the plan was to meet back at the Matthews home later that night.

    Jonelle was dropped off by a friend about 8:15 p.m. that night, and she took a phone call from a teacher at her father's school at 8:30 p.m. But when Jim Matthews got home about 9:30 p.m., he found the garage door open, and Jonelle was gone.

    She liked to watch television in the finished basement of the Pheasant Run home, with her shoes off and a small heater pulled close to keep her warm. When Jim walked into the basement, he found his daughter's shoes, the heater, the television; Jonelle was gone.

    Jim called the Greeley police, and it began a frustrating search that would last for years, crisscross the nation and yield no results.

    ~more at link
    http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...NEWS/301260002

    And another
    http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/...appearance.php
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Posts
    530
    Bumping for Jonelle....

  9. #9
    Kayleah Wilson case: Search evokes 25-year-old dashed hopes


    As days go by and the disappearance of 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson continues to be a mystery, it brings back haunting memories for the police officers involved in another child disappearance in Greeley 25 years ago.

    On Dec. 20, 1984, Jonelle Matthews, a 12-year-old middle school student, disappeared from her west Greeley home. She has never been found.

    More: http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...ntprofile=1001

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there ....
    Posts
    8,441
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    The 12-year-old was taken from her home Dec. 20, 1984, after she returned from a Christmas concert at a nursing home with her middle school choir. Her mother, Gloria, was out of state visiting her parents; her father, Jim, attended the older sister's basketball game, and the plan was to meet back at the Matthews home later that night.

    Jonelle was dropped off by a friend about 8:15 p.m. that night, and she took a phone call from a teacher at her father's school at 8:30 p.m. But when Jim Matthews got home about 9:30 p.m., he found the garage door open, and Jonelle was gone.

    She liked to watch television in the finished basement of the Pheasant Run home, with her shoes off and a small heater pulled close to keep her warm. When Jim walked into the basement, he found his daughter's shoes, the heater, the television; Jonelle was gone.

    Jim called the Greeley police, and it began a frustrating search that would last for years, crisscross the nation and yield no results.

    ~more at link
    http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...NEWS/301260002

    And another
    http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/...appearance.php

    BBM above.... I wonder if they ever talked to this teacher or searched this person's house. It would be apparent that this person would know she was alone in the house.
    She took the call at 8:30 pm and dad got home at 9:30 to find her gone , I would want to talk to this person again
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern
    Posts
    743
    I noticed she was adopted. I didn't see anything about the birth parents. Is it possible they tracked her down & abducted her? The reason I ask is my brother adopted a little girl back in the 1980s because her mom went to prison & lost custody. Her mom's extended family found her & harrassed them to the point that they moved out of state & legally changed her name. So that's what made me think of that angle.
    Also, I wonder if the teacher was interrogated. The teacher would have known that she was home alone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    I noticed she was adopted. I didn't see anything about the birth parents. Is it possible they tracked her down & abducted her? The reason I ask is my brother adopted a little girl back in the 1980s because her mom went to prison & lost custody. Her mom's extended family found her & harrassed them to the point that they moved out of state & legally changed her name. So that's what made me think of that angle.
    Also, I wonder if the teacher was interrogated. The teacher would have known that she was home alone.
    1. If you look at the Charley Project writeup of the Jonelle Matthews disappearance, it will detail how in 1984, the Colorado police investigators put the biological mother under surveillance for several weeks or months. She was cleared as a suspect in the case and she and Jim and Gloria (the adoptive parents) became close friends after ca. 1995 when she found out about what happened to the child she gave up for adoption. (This is also when she found out she had been investigated at the time of Jonelle's disappearance.)

    2. Wow, I never really entertained the idea of whomever called the house at 8:30 also being responsible for what happened to Jonelle. I don't know why, but for some reason I feel that if the teacher was female then she probably would be beyond suspicion, but if the teacher was male then I wonder if the police department adequately looked into whether he was responsible for Jonelle's disappearance. Maybe I'm being stereotypical or maybe it's just the sexual assault angle some of the investigators are working, but I do wonder what gender that teacher was.

    3. Speaking of, I too wonder why those investigators theorize the sexual abuse and incineration theory. What evidence or proof have they come up with to come up with that idea? Might these investiagors have persons of interest already in their crosshairs they've just been trying to find evidence against? God, I'm hoping they're wrong and Jonelle just got kidnapped by someone who wanted a girl to raise or maybe they needed an indentured servant and she's still alive with minimal psychological damage. But it's probably best assuming the worst happened and that what will eventually be recovered are human remains that will be transported back to the poor girl's final resting place.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    I just wanted to add also to your wonderful well thought out post arcana. A female perp can't be ruled out in an abduction either even if the motive is thought to be sexual abuse.

    Sandra Cantu is just one.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    38
    I knew one of the men who investigated on this case. The caller had nothing to do with the case, and had been investigated. Many many details are left out of the case. The rape theory is from the fact that the stockings and I think the underwear were also found at the scene. There was also a sign of a struggle there. I believe a blanket was also missing from the scene. Jonelle was either killed or incapacitated and then taken from the scene. The investigators knew this because there were only one set of footprints at the scene. The investigative techniques of the police department were good, but they didnt really have the insights they have today. There is a strong possibility that someone who saw her at the concert stalked her and followed her home. That is where I think the suspect came from.

    I think gasoline or lighter fluid were missing from the house or spilled around the garage and that is why the investigators felt she had been incinerated. It is kinda hard to burn soemone outside in the middle of winter, so I dont get this whole line of reasoning....

    There were many children kidnapped from Colorado, Iowa and other nearby states with no explanation. It may be a serial killer or even a government prostitution ring that Johnny Gosch was forced to be in. Or Jonelle was simply stalked and murdered by someone at the bank concert. That has always been my theory in this case.




    Quote Originally Posted by arcana07 View Post
    1. If you look at the Charley Project writeup of the Jonelle Matthews disappearance, it will detail how in 1984, the Colorado police investigators put the biological mother under surveillance for several weeks or months. She was cleared as a suspect in the case and she and Jim and Gloria (the adoptive parents) became close friends after ca. 1995 when she found out about what happened to the child she gave up for adoption. (This is also when she found out she had been investigated at the time of Jonelle's disappearance.)

    2. Wow, I never really entertained the idea of whomever called the house at 8:30 also being responsible for what happened to Jonelle. I don't know why, but for some reason I feel that if the teacher was female then she probably would be beyond suspicion, but if the teacher was male then I wonder if the police department adequately looked into whether he was responsible for Jonelle's disappearance. Maybe I'm being stereotypical or maybe it's just the sexual assault angle some of the investigators are working, but I do wonder what gender that teacher was.

    3. Speaking of, I too wonder why those investigators theorize the sexual abuse and incineration theory. What evidence or proof have they come up with to come up with that idea? Might these investiagors have persons of interest already in their crosshairs they've just been trying to find evidence against? God, I'm hoping they're wrong and Jonelle just got kidnapped by someone who wanted a girl to raise or maybe they needed an indentured servant and she's still alive with minimal psychological damage. But it's probably best assuming the worst happened and that what will eventually be recovered are human remains that will be transported back to the poor girl's final resting place.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post

    On the night she disappeared, Jonelle was driven home from a middle school concert by a friend and her mother. They dropped Jonelle in front of the house in the 300 block of 43rd Avenue in the Pheasant Run subdivision, and noted that the garage door already was open. The friends watched her walk into the house. They were the last people known to have seen the girl.
    So the person who took her could have already been the house waiting for her? If that’s the case the person must have known she’d be alone. Someone who knew the families plans?
    Just my thoughts.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

    "From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." – Benny Fallout: New Vegas

    "What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 11:52 PM
  2. CO Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) - Greeley CO, 1984
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 06:19 AM

Tags for this Thread