Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #4

Hybrid View

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #4

please continue here

thread three link:
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92904"]UT-Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City; thread #3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

link to thread two:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=1#post4577209

thread one in this case:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92568"]UT-Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community" target="_blank">UT-Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

AmandaReckonwith's photobucket of the case: http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...usan%20Powell/

fran's post on what we have so far:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4562189#post4562189"]UT-Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City - Page 30 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community" target="_blank">UT-Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City - Page 30 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Susan's face book:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...d=198478842187

PattyG's family presser video:
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4576441&postcount=689"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - UT-Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City; thread # 2[/ame]

PattyG's exhaustive youtube site with all of her case videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Sierra1947

note: fran's post link is one of the older ones... I will update it as soon as I find it
    This bee my opinion

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

http://www.tribtowns.com/comments/re...94&PageIndex=7
    link to the comment everyone was talking about... on page seven of the comments at 1156
    This bee my opinion

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    http://www.tribtowns.com/comments/re...94&PageIndex=7
    link to the comment everyone was talking about... on page seven of the comments at 1156
    It looks like it got deleted? BUT, someone snipped it at 738AM on page 8 - asking what the source was...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hellolisakitty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nervous_nellie View Post
    yep, then you know what im talking about,lol! my birds are always talking to me -they are so smart... i do remember a bird in a pet store that was previously owned and they were having a hard time selling him because he kept going through a screaming argument between the couple that owned him ... or they curse a lot, lol. also a thought is if the birds are afraid of him, if they wont take their eyes off of his hands and scurry away. once i swatted at a fly with a swatter and omg, all the birds were scared of me for awhile! so if they saw him hitting susan they are probably very fearful of him...
    OT Of course we're intelligent really...!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kiki the parrot For This Useful Post:

JP was supposedly checking out a new generator during the near zero degree camping trip. Generators usually have a device on them that clock the hours used. If this was the first time it had been used then the generator should have clocked hours on it. Haven't figured out if this is useful information or not, but just thought I would throw this info out for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post
    JP was supposedly checking out a new generator during the near zero degree camping trip. Generators usually have a device on them that clock the hours used. If this was the first time it had been used then the generator should have clocked hours on it. Haven't figured out if this is useful information or not, but just thought I would throw this info out for thought.

so, what do you think about this generator? do you really think he had one with him? if so, what did he need it for? i think if he had one with him, it was because he needed it for something and NOT to "test" it. i just cant figure what he would be doin...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nervous_nellie For This Useful Post:

so, what do you think about this generator? do you really think he had one with him? if so, what did he need it for? i think if he had one with him, it was because he needed it for something and NOT to "test" it. i just cant figure what he would be doin...
    I'm assuming that he had to use the generator for heat in the van during the "camping" trip. You would not be able to use the van's heat because you would not be able to run the engine that long. I'm thinking that he had a heater and a way to heat food in that van. Much like a camper would have, only electrically generated since he needed to use a generator.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:

Trying to think outside the box about the generator...would it be useful to have a generator to run...hate to even say this...a saw?

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Curious Me For This Useful Post:

most recent Fran list I have found so far:
    ---------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by fran
    Things are mounting up.............anyone else?

.......REASONS TO SUSPECT HUSBAND OR QUESTIONS THAT NEED TO BE ANSWERED, BEFORE HUSBAND CAN BE ELIMINATED AS A POI
    fran

1. Husband not the one who reported victim missing.

2. Husband had 'odd' alibi, ie going camping in sub-zero temperartures, late at night, leaving sick wife home alone in bed, and taking two toddlers, pre five yo's into the freezing winter night.

3. Change of story details, here and there or becoming evasive.

4. Avoiding media contact. The few times media managed to get a statement. He cut them off when they asked detailed questions about camping location. His excuse was "I have to get my boys." IMHO, he's using the boys as a shield.

5. Avoiding media questions, ie "Is that where you went camping?" to which he replies, "I have to pick up my boys."

6. Avoids wife-victim's family.

7. Stops talking to LE

8. Concerned with 'his house.'

9. Speaks of victim in 'past-tense.'

10. Speaks of 'buying new clothes and comforter.'

11. Unexplained 'wet spot' in carpeting and 'fans being used to dry.'

12. Gradual release of 'friends and family' speaking of marital problems.

13. Alleged from 'friends' of husband having control issues, which included control of wife ie victim.

14. Alleged from 'friends' of 'verbal abuse' by husband of victim.

15. Alleged statement by one of the children (ok, possibly rumor) "Daddy said mommy stayed in the woods for awhile."

16. Spoke to neighbor about 'hope his bird isn't dead' but didn't talk about his missing wife.

17. Testing generator late at night on camping trip

18. Sledding in the dark? (Locals, is there a place in that area to go sledding in the dark? He told friend he was taking boys sledding, that was at 5:00p.m. and he was seen returning home at 8:30p.m.)

19. Near frost bitten hands.

20. Just the sheer distance of the alleged camp site (3 or 4 hours drive)

21. NOT one sign of husband camping where he said he was.

22. Just plain talking about 'himself,' rather than his missing wife!!!!!!!!

23. No sign of forced entry of home.

24. Friends and neighbors said it was unusual for Josh to suddenly go camping late at night with the children in the freezing weather.

25. Periodic money problems including a past bankruptcy.

26. Joshy tells his FIL the last time he saw Susan was at 12:30, but didn't bother to tell him what a great time was had by all at the wee-hours-of-the-nite-camping-in-subzero-temps-and-snowstorm-in-the-desert outing.
    (from Texas Mist)

27. Left sick wife alone, never to check on her and she had NO CAR to go to doctor! (from member passionflower)

28. Wife had gone to bed sick with an ear-ache which meant she most likely had a cold. Yet, husband made her walk home from church in freezing weather, (they only had one car)

29. Susan's friend had spoken to her on Sunday and friend said Susan wasn't sick.

30. Husband said wife sick but she went to bed at 12:30 a.m.

31. Husband said he forgot it was Sunday but he also said he saw last saw Susan at 12:30 a.m. when she went to bed and he was leaving for camping with the kids. She would have reminded him it was Monday and not Sat nite/Sunday a.m. "Got his days mixed up, thought it was Sunday" yet he neither attends church nor allows for boys to go.

32. Susan told co-workers she was physically fearful of her husband.

33. Co-workers say Susan took precautions in case 'anything' happened to her.

34. Josh's BIL stated when asked if he believes Josh had anything to do with Susan's disappearance, "I pray Josh isn't responisble."

35. Susan't friends knowledge of Powell marriage............SEVERAL advised Susan to leave her husband.

36. Susan's family paid for her to have a cell phone in case she was in trouble.

37. police have mentioned they would possibly like to have Josh take LDT: so far it has not been reported he has taken one to clear his name

38. Disappeared for 24 hours with rental car, AFTER Susan went missing. hundreds of miles were put on the car. There was no gps on the rental car

39. Local reporter said that at alleged camping location, you need to travel approximately 20 miles on unpaved road. It was storming. {suspicious}

40. When talking about spur of the moment camping trip with boys, Josh said they '.....liked to have smores in the morning.'

41. Wife's cellphone, purse and belongings LEFT BEHIND...

42. Josh skips town on Dec 18/19 (Fri/Sat) attorney says to spend holidays in Washington with father and step mom.

43. Sunday 2 weeks after Susan disappeared, Josh whereabouts unknown.
    Has sons with him....note: husband has shown up in Washington State and attended a candle light vigil for Susan,.............NO comment to the media

44. First time LE contacted husband as at first the entire family was thought missing, Josh hung up on LE.

45. Statements by friends that Josh resented Susan's dedication to her church. (Also indications that Josh was being encouraged of his distaste for the church by his own father)

46. While at the candle light vigil in Washington, Josh was only 15 feet from Susan's parents, yet he didn't even acknowledge them.

47. Josh completely controlled Susan's spending. He told her how much she had to spend at the grocery store and what she could and couldn't buy as far as groceries or anything else was concerned.

48. LE said Josh is hindering the investigation.

49. It's not JUST that Josh left town while everyone is trying to look for his missing wife. He did NOT tell LE he was leaving or where he would be, in case his wife returned or she was found!

*Blue are added as the case developes and Websleuthers mention them

REASONS NOT TO LOOK TOWARDS HUSBAND

1. Josh said he didn't harm Susan.

2. Josh's dad said to stop "villifying" JP, he didn't harm his wife.

3. Josh's lawyer said Josh is not hindering investigation.
    Last edited by nursebeeme; 12-22-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: fran asked me to fix poly sentence... and mileage
    This bee my opinion

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

most recent Fran list I have found so far:
    ---------------------------------------------------

.......REASONS TO SUSPECT HUSBAND OR QUESTIONS THAT NEED TO BE ANSWERED, BEFORE HUSBAND CAN BE ELIMINATED AS A POI
    fran

2. Husband had 'odd' alibi, ie going camping in sub-zero temperartures, late at night, leaving sick wife home alone in bed, and taking two toddlers, pre five yo's into the freezing winter night.

4. Avoiding media contact. The few times media managed to get a statement. He cut them off when they asked detailed questions about camping location. His excuse was "I have to get my boys." IMHO, he's using the boys as a shield.

5. Avoiding media questions, ie "Is that where you went camping?" to which he replies, "I have to pick up my boys."

7. Stops talking to LE

13. Alleged from 'friends' of husband having control issues, which included control of wife ie victim.

15. Alleged statement by one of the children (ok, possibly rumor) "Daddy said mommy stayed in the woods for awhile."

16. Spoke to neighbor about 'hope his bird isn't dead' but didn't talk about his missing wife.

18. Sledding in the dark? (Locals, is there a place in that area to go sledding in the dark? He told friend he was taking boys sledding, that was at 5:00p.m. and he was seen returning home at 8:30p.m.)

24. Friends and neighbors said it was unusual for Josh to suddenly go camping late at night with the children in the freezing weather.

26. Joshy tells his FIL the last time he saw Susan was at 12:30, but didn't bother to tell him what a great time was had by all at the wee-hours-of-the-nite-camping-in-subzero-temps-and-snowstorm-in-the-desert outing.
    (from Texas Mist)

27. Left sick wife alone, never to check on her and she had NO CAR to go to doctor! (from member passionflower)

28. Wife had gone to bed sick with an ear-ache which meant she most likely had a cold. Yet, husband made her walk home from church in freezing weather, (they only had one car)

29. Susan's friend had spoken to her on Sunday and friend said Susan wasn't sick.

31. Husband said he forgot it was Sunday but he also said he saw last saw Susan at 12:30 a.m. when she went to bed and he was leaving for camping with the kids. She would have reminded him it was Monday and not Sat nite/Sunday a.m. "Got his days mixed up, thought it was Sunday" yet he neither attends church nor allows for boys to go.

33. Co-workers say Susan took precautions in case 'anything' happened to her.

34. Josh's BIL stated when asked if he believes Josh had anything to do with Susan's disappearance, "I pray Josh isn't responisble."

35. Susan't friends knowledge of Powell marriage............SEVERAL advised Susan to leave her husband.

36. Susan's family paid for her to have a cell phone in case she was in trouble.

37. police have mentioned they would possibly like to have Josh take LDT: so far it has not been reported he has taken one to clear his name

38. Disappeared for 24 hours with rental car, AFTER Susan went missing. hundreds of miles were put on the car. There was no gps on the rental car

39. Local reporter said that at alleged camping location, you need to travel approximately 20 miles on unpaved road. It was storming. {suspicious}

40. When talking about spur of the moment camping trip with boys, Josh said they '.....liked to have smores in the morning.'

42. Josh skips town on Dec 18/19 (Fri/Sat) attorney says to spend holidays in Washington with father and step mom.

Has sons with him....note: husband has shown up in Washington State and attended a candle light vigil for Susan,.............NO comment to the media

44. First time LE contacted husband as at first the entire family was thought missing, Josh hung up on LE.

45. Statements by friends that Josh resented Susan's dedication to her church. (Also indications that Josh was being encouraged of his distaste for the church by his own father)

46. While at the candle light vigil in Washington, Josh was only 15 feet from Susan's parents, yet he didn't even acknowledge them.

47. Josh completely controlled Susan's spending. He told her how much she had to spend at the grocery store and what she could and couldn't buy as far as groceries or anything else was concerned.

49. It's not JUST that Josh left town while everyone is trying to look for his missing wife. He did NOT tell LE he was leaving or where he would be, in case his wife returned or she was found!

*Blue are added as the case developes and Websleuthers mention them

BBM

I see #37 has now been changed to reflect what we do know. Thanks.
    Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

I add to this list that two days after susan goes missing josh rents a car and puts hundreds of miles on it. wonder how long he had the car? I would think it was only for a day or so as he got his van back after three days. We will have to go back and find that media article where his neighbor describes taking him to pick up the car from LE... and what day it was. I am thinking he put hundreds of miles on it in a very short period of time. Very Scott Peterson isn't it?????
    This bee my opinion

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I add to this list that two days after susan goes missing josh rents a car and puts hundreds of miles on it. wonder how long he had the car? I would think it was only for a day or so as he got his van back after three days. We will have to go back and find that media article where his neighbor describes taking him to pick up the car from LE... and what day it was. I am thinking he put hundreds of miles on it in a very short period of time. Very Scott Peterson isn't it?????
    IMO, he went back to where he dumped Susan to make sure no one could see her in the day light.
    Boy I wish someone was tracking him from afar!!!!
    Hope LE was on to this! and just not saying.

Personally I do not see a confession coming from Josh.
    He thinks he has out smarted the LE.
    Has FBI been brought in like in a kidnapping?
    I guess no crime has really been proven yet til evidence
    comes back from rug, hair, etc.
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

He had the rental car for 24 hours and put hundreds of miles on it.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyBug99 For This Useful Post:

Josh was so worried that his bird was dead that first night.
    Yet he left it behind.
    I saw in a video of men taking it out of the house with a blanket around the large cage.
    Exotic birds need allot of care and live a long time.
    Cold is an enemy to them.
    Wonder if Josh is worried about the bird now?
    another 'possession' to him?
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
    Yet he left it behind.
    I saw in a video of men taking it out of the house with a blanket around the large cage.
    I read last nite that he called a neighbor, John H. to retrieve the bird..

John Hellewell who is a neighbor of the Powell's found out about the trip Sunday when Josh called him. His first concern was to find someone to "pet sit" his birds. "

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...ITAGsTQ3g.cspx
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
    I read last nite that he called a neighbor, John H. to retrieve the bird..

John Hellewell who is a neighbor of the Powell's found out about the trip Sunday when Josh called him. His first concern was to find someone to "pet sit" his birds. "

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...ITAGsTQ3g.cspx
    ha, more than 1 bird........does JP even know he has 'birds' instead of 'bird' that night! JP probably never took care of them, Susan probably did.
    Justice for Hailey!!!!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Yet he left it behind.

i have parrots too and have had to move in the middle of winter. a quick move they can handle as long at they are covered well. but your correct in that they do live many, many years and require regular consistent feeding (like any pet) i just dont see jp capable of nurturing ANYTHING, humans included. i just hope someone else is caring for the birds and his boys too.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nervous_nellie For This Useful Post:

Yet he left it behind.
    Maybe he's worried the bird will start talking to LE.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taminator View Post
    Maybe he's worried the bird will start talking to LE.....

as funny as this sounds it is realistic behavior of a lot of parrots...depending on which kind you may be dealing with. african gray parrots are the absolute best in mimicking human speech, moo. and they are very very smart. they will repeat words, phrases and "situations" and they dont just repeat it in their bird voice, they will actually sound much like the person who said the phrase. ie my mil has a gray that i heard 'replaying' a phone conversation and i thought it was my mil until i looked and it was the bird. and most parrots have speech abilities. so if susan and josh fought a lot in front of the bird it most likely will repeat some of the things that it heard repeatedly/frequently.

36. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nervous_nellie For This Useful Post:

as funny as this sounds it is realistic behavior of a lot of parrots...depending on which kind you may be dealing with. african gray parrots are the absolute best in mimicking human speech, moo. and they are very very smart. they will repeat words, phrases and "situations" and they dont just repeat it in their bird voice, they will actually sound much like the person who said the phrase. ie my mil has a gray that i heard 'replaying' a phone conversation and i thought it was my mil until i looked and it was the bird. and most parrots have speech abilities. so if susan and josh fought a lot in front of the bird it most likely will repeat some of the things that it heard repeatedly/frequently.
    I agree, some are like 3-4 year old children........
    My friend had one that would come out with stuff that was so funny at wierd times.
    Josh must trust this man with the BIRDS because one might just yell out,
    Stop, your hurting me!
    I even had a parakeet for 16 years that mimicked everyone.
    He would say the same thing over and over til he thought of something else to say.
    Justice for Hailey!!!!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

I agree, some are like 3-4 year old children........
    My friend had one that would come out with stuff that was so funny at wierd times.
    Josh must trust this man with the BIRDS because one might just yell out,
    Stop, your hurting me!
    I even had a parakeet for 16 years that mimicked everyone.
    He would say the same thing over and over til he thought of something else to say.
    yep, then you know what im talking about,lol! my birds are always talking to me -they are so smart... i do remember a bird in a pet store that was previously owned and they were having a hard time selling him because he kept going through a screaming argument between the couple that owned him ... or they curse a lot, lol. also a thought is if the birds are afraid of him, if they wont take their eyes off of his hands and scurry away. once i swatted at a fly with a swatter and omg, all the birds were scared of me for awhile! so if they saw him hitting susan they are probably very fearful of him...

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nervous_nellie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
    You would think it would have hit the newspapers, discussed on national news or at least on all the boards across the Interent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taminator View Post
    Refusing to take a polygraph, whether it's admissible or not, is a pretty big deal. Worthy of at least a couple headlines, I would think. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
    BBM

I see #37 has now been changed to reflect what we do know. Thanks.

fran

7. Stops talking to LE

(from Texas Mist)

31. Husband said he forgot it was Sunday but he also said he saw last saw Susan at 12:30 a.m. when she went to bed and he was leaving for camping with the kids. She would have reminded him it was Monday and not Sat nite/Sunday a.m. "Got his days mixed up, thought it was Sunday" yet he neither attends church nor prepares for boys to go.

33. Co-workers say Susan took precautions in case 'anything happened to her.'

35. Susan's friends knowledge of Powell marriage............SEVERAL advised Susan to leave her husband.

37. Police requested that Josh take a polygraph and his attorney declined their offer.

50. Weeks later, JP still unwilling to return to home where he and Susan were raising boys prior to her mysterious "vanishing."

Per this news report, LE indicated JP's lawyer (Scott Williams) "declined" their request to administer his client a LDT (at 2.27):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weMd2XG-dkM[/ame]

#37 is now changed back to reflect what we knew.

Last edited by kiki the parrot; 12-29-2009 at 12:30 AM.

42. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kiki the parrot For This Useful Post:

Uh-oh

Local news is reporting the following:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9166805

Let's hope this isn't related, and pray still for Susan to come home safely.

Edited to update: The other news channel is saying that this is a woman, but they are saying it is likely a suicide. It may not be related to this at all.
    Last edited by sunflowerchick; 12-29-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Updated Information

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sunflowerchick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowerchick View Post
    Local news is reporting the following:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9166805

Let's hope this isn't related, and pray still for Susan to come home safely.

Edited to update: The other news channel is saying that this is a woman, but they are saying it is likely a suicide. It may not be related to this at all.
    A suicide where you set yourself on fire ? I do not believe I have heard of that before. Do we know if Josh is still in WA or cruising Interstate 15 making smores ?
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

46. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

#37 in the list, did he really refuse to take a lie detector test? I must of missed that in the news.
    Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast