Court: Cut Men's Nose/Ears Off

Trino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/22/pakistan.harsh.justice/index.html

I wasn't certain where to place this story, since it also involves a crime. A Pakistan court decreed it okay to cut off the nose/ears of two men who attacked and did the same to a young woman who rejected a marriage offer (family did, too). The men also received life in prison and were ordered to pay a fine to the victim.

Maybe if the US had similar punishment...

What about the barbaric nature inflicted upon this woman ? I believe our system has broken down and needs a revamp most certainly, but to entertain the idea an eye for an eye to me would work, or even reintroduce public hangings ....
How many other men do you think now will think twice before commiting such a horrendous act or not commit it at all , When they have to walk around with no ears and no nose ? Probally not many.
I am sorry but I believe the punishment should fit the crime when there is 100 % certainty that person committed the crime, our crime would not be so out of control and we would not have to feed them for the rest of their lives, why do people who kill have a right to live when they had no concern for someone else's life, sure does not seem right to me at all, it makes absolutley no sense to me....

JMHO....

What about the barbaric nature inflicted upon this woman ? I believe our system has broken down and needs a revamp most certainly, but to entertain the idea an eye for an eye to me would work, or even reintroduce public hangings ....
How many other men do you think now will think twice before commiting such a horrendous act or not commit it at all , When they have to walk around with no ears and no nose ? Probally not many.
I am sorry but I believe the punishment should fit the crime when there is 100 % certainty that person committed the crime, our crime would not be so out of control and we would not have to feed them for the rest of their lives, why do people who kill have a right to live when they had no concern for someone else's life, sure does not seem right to me at all, it makes absolutley no sense to me....

JMHO....

Exactly. It's Barbaric. We aren't Barbarians over here, so why would we imitate such behavior?:waitasec:

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Our justice system is not perfect, of course, but the foundation it is based on is amazing - a beacon of light in this weary world. My heart literally bursts with pride about it.

I have no problem feeding and housing people who are dangerous. That's the cost of doing business in a free society. Now if we could quit throwing people in prison for smoking marijuana and concentrating on putting real threats in there instead, we'd be heading even more swiftly in the right direction.

No offense, but look around.
As a whole, we are pretty barbaric here. The people here may not be, but there is still a pretty good part of the populace that is prone to particularly barbaric acts.

Well put, southcitymom.

Back when England had public hangings for minor crimes, it was a standing joke that the most likely place to have your pocket picked was when you were at the hanging of a pickpocket.

People aren't usually *thinking* when they commit crimes like that.

As a whole, we are pretty barbaric here. The people here may not be, but there is still a pretty good part of the populace that is prone to particularly barbaric acts.

Individuals and smaller groups, sure. But our country as a whole when it comes to law and order, no way - we're better than that and I love that about us. Now, if we could just move away from the death penalty!

PS - It is needlessly dismissive to tell someone to "look around." While we have arrived at different conclusions about this subject, I would never insinuate that you had reached yours blindly and without considering all of the data around you.

JMHO....

An eye for an eye? PUBLIC hangings? These are the barbaric acts that separate our nation from those who are still living in the first century AD.
These men are NOT going to have the option to "walk around with no ears and no nose." This punishment is being inflicted in ADDITION to their lengthy prison sentences. I am not condoning what they did AT ALL, although I will say that their culture seems to devalue women to the nth degree.

PEOPLE, Individuals, may be barbaric. Our justice system is designed to rise above barbarism. Our entire justice system fails if it acts in barbarism.

Our system seems to fail us now , I see it everyday that I read here.
The sentences put in place for criminals is minimal, they are let out early for so called good time, but in fact our prison's are so full we can't house them. Then typically at some point they reoffend, were lucky if we can catch them and then all the county or states money gets poured into their sorry butt again to put them back from where they should have never left, and another person or family suffers from it.

There is really no deterrent from commiting crimes and people whom commit these crimes knows how are system works. Where is the deterrent when you can get three square meals a day, a warm place to sleep, shower daily, toothbrush, laundry done, sat. color tv, libary, gym, free health and dental care, you get to go outside and I am sure there is more.

Our prisoners have it better then millions of law abiding citizen's do.

Where is the deterrent ? Can someone please tell me .....

I am all for the DP and not the DP where you can appeal and appeal for years draining our system. If you are found to be 100 % guilty of a horrible crime especially with the technology today,then thats it. You chose your bed you need to lay in it, because the victim sure did not get the choice....

It was extreme I agree the ruling for not only life imprisonment but the cutting of the ears and nose, but that woman will daily live with the horror that happened to her everytime she looks in the mirror and when people gauk at her for how she looks .....

Theoretically, I know this barbaric sentence is wrong but there is a part of me that says...good- take the horror that you dished out..........just being honest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back