Arrow Trucking Company shuts down 3 days before christmas leaving drivers stranded

jnTexas

Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
Reaction score
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7184543

The sudden shutdown of Arrow Trucking Company left many drivers stranded, some far away from home, and all of them are looking for work just three days before Christmas.

Arrow Trucking is headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but has terminals across the country including here in Houston. It is a 60-year-old family run company, owned by a brother in Tulsa and a sister in Houston. Neither has faced employees nor us.

The sudden shutdown of Arrow Trucking has left hundreds of others without jobs. Workers in Tulsa, Oklahoma, are cleaning out their vehicles. They say in the past, their payroll checks have bounced. Other drivers are stuck in Arizona because their fuel cards from the company don't work. That means they can't pay for the gas to drive their semis. Family members of drivers say those drivers are trying to sell anything they can just to return home.

Arrow Trucking's website says it has been in business since 1948 and that it runs a fleet of 1,400 tractors and over 3,000 trailers operating throughout the United States and in Canada and Mexico. The company is also described as one of the country's largest and most financially sound flatbed motor carriers. That information has since been removed from its website.

there is more at the link

At 8am on Tuesday morning, Arrow Trucking workers assembled to find out what had happened. A source says although owner Doug Pielsticker was there, his attorney did all the talking, saying they were sorry for the way things had come down. But that was basically it. No explanation. No reason why.

The sudden closure without notice may put Arrow Trucking in violation of the federal WARN Act. The law requires companies with more than 100 employees to give workers 60-days advance written notice before a mass layoff. Violating the act could make the company liable for back pay to each employee let go without proper notice. Employment experts say certain exceptions exisits, such as unforseen circumstances. The Oklahoma Employment Security Commission says that Arrow Trucking did not notify them of the impending layoffs . . .
Could the collpase be due to the economy? Sources inside the company say don't blame this on the recession, this was mismanagement.
BBM
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1209/689921.html
The founder of Arrow Trucking, Jim Pielsticker, died in a plane crash in 2001. "Carol Pielsticker, widow of company founder Jim Pielsticker and mother of CEO Doug Pielsticker, owns Arrow." http://www.answers.com/topic/arrow-trucking-company

From July 2009 edition of Arrow's employee magazine, En Route:
Carol Pielsticker Bump, owner of Arrow Trucking Company, her husband Larry Bump, were both in attendance throughout the ceremonies.
Doug Pielsticker, CEO gave the opening welcome and address, followed by Gary Jones, COO, and Dan Smith, EVP Safety, Training, Re-
cruiting. Doug, Gary, Dan, and Jonathan Moore, CFO, handed out the Million Mile plaques, leather jackets, the $5,000 award checks to the individual recipients. http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:LTEoYzShgA0J:www.arrowtrucking.com/filesSite/En%2520Route-July%25202009.pdf+%22carol+pielsticker%22&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

219 comments on this story about Arrow Trucking, and many, many critical of Doug Pielsticker and what they call his lavish lifestyle, trophy wife (formerly -- according to commenters -- the nanny), and spoiled-ness. Not one of the comments is favorable towards him. Everyone that has commented on his late father, founder of the company, agrees that he was a fine man.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/...&articleid=20091222_54_0_Employ24561&allcom=1

Wow. Talk about a bunch of a$$h0les...

Sent the link to my hubby & his trucker friends.
They work for Allied, who has their own problems.

Gee, how I would love to be surprised.

My ex's dad drove for Arrow, he fell off a truck in Pennsylvania, shattered his elbow; not surprising, since there were several inches of ice on everything. Mind you, the only thing he broke was himself, the truck and load were fine. They fired him on the spot anyway, although he had done nothing wrong, took the truck (and his personal items in it) and left him stranded 1200 miles from home, literally, on the side of the road in 10 degree weather, with a broken arm.

This doesn't surprise me. And I'm not surprised they are now too cowardly to face all the people they screwed.

My ex's dad drove for Arrow, he fell off a truck in Pennsylvania, shattered his elbow; not surprising, since there were several inches of ice on everything. Mind you, the only thing he broke was himself, the truck and load were fine. They fired him on the spot anyway, although he had done nothing wrong, took the truck (and his personal items in it) and left him stranded 1200 miles from home, literally, on the side of the road in 10 degree weather, with a broken arm.

This doesn't surprise me. And I'm not surprised they are now too cowardly to face all the people they screwed.

That is horrible! I hope his arm healed ok. Delay of treatment can cause further problems. What a nice "howdy do" he got, poor guy.

Well what a nice Christmas bonus that was! Buttheads!

I hate it for these guys and their families. The truckers are, for the most part, good, honest people who are just earning a living for themselves and their families.

I will never forget a trucker that helped me when I had a flat tire just outside of Atlanta when I was driving back from Virginia. It was at night and very cold. He took care of everything and did not want to take any money for having changed the tire for me. I forced him to, tho.

Karma will get these trucking company owners. To do this a few days before Christmas is unbelievable! I do not wish them a Merry Christmas.

The lawsuit was filed by the Transportation Alliance Bank in Ogden, Utah. It accuses Arrow of knowingly defrauding the bank, even having Arrow employees pretending to be customers while the bank investigated.
The bank, or TAB, says it paid Arrow more $12.5 million in inflated invoices. TAB also says officials at Arrow admitted to not paying more than $9 million in payroll taxes in the past year.
The lawsuit also claims that Carol Pielsticker, Arrow's chairwoman, was paid an average of $10,000 a week during 2009. And that her son and company owner, Doug Pielsticker, received a $20,000 check from Arrow the week before the company shut down and let go all of its employees.
http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=11795728

I sure hope the owners of this company get what's coming to them. They seemed to be uncaring, incompetent and greedy before, but now it looks like they may turn out to be crooks, too.

What a horrible story. Heartless #%&$&*$@%s!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back