PA - Jordan Caldwell, 21, shot to death, Darby, 25 Dec 2009

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
DARBY, Pa. (AP) -- A pastor fatally shot one of his eight children on Christmas Day during a dispute at the family home, where more than a dozen relatives had gathered to celebrate the holiday, police said.

Kirk Caldwell killed 21-year-old Jordan Caldwell after intervening in a violent confrontation between the son and a woman at around 2 p.m. at their home in suburban Philadelphia, Darby Borough police said Friday.

Kirk Caldwell fired a single shot, striking his son in the chest, police Chief Robert Smythe said. Jordan Caldwell died at a hospital shortly afterward, police said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PASTOR_SON_SHOT?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME

About me:
WELL IM MARRIED TO A WONDERFUL WOMEN NAMED SHARRON CALDWELL AND I HAVE 8 BEAUTIFUL KIDS,I OWN MY OWN BUSINESS I DO PLUMBING,IM AM A PASTOR AT THE END TIME HARVEST MINISTIRES FOR CHRIST,MY LIFE RIGHT NOW IS WONDERFUL BECAUSE JESUS CAME INTO TO MY HEART WHAT A WONDERFUL JOY I HAVE AND THE WORLD CANT TAKE IT AWAY,I AM A MIGHTY MAN OF GOD..I WAS SAVED AT THE AGE OF 15, IF GOD COULD SAVE ME AT AGE 15, I KNOW HE CAN SAVE YOU AT WHATEVER AGE YOU ARE!!! GOD BLESS PASTOR CALDWELL

Who I'd like to meet:
JESUS,PAUL,DAVID,NOAH,MATTHEW,

What a mighty man to shoot his own son. Wonder if he even spelled his wife's name correctly with the two r's.

I'm not sure what the spelling of his wifes name has to do with this, but according to veromi it is spelled with two r's.

It sounds like he was trying to stop his son from beating the crap out of some woman. jmo of course, but that is what I got out of the article. What a shame he had to make that choice to keep his son from harming someone, if that is in fact the circumstances which caused him to make the decision.

Pastor held in $2M bail in slaying of his son

After firing the first gunshot of his life on Christmas Day into his son's chest, pastor Kirk Caldwell dropped to the ground and cradled his 21-year-old child's dying body, according to court documents.

In the moments before the shooting, Caldwell's son, Jordan, had been brandishing a knife and hitting and throwing family members - including his father - around during a Christmas gathering of 15 to 18 people at the Caldwell home in Darby Borough, police and court documents said.

When Caldwell got downstairs, he saw his son "punching, hitting and throwing other family members around the house," court documents said.

Caldwell tried to calm Jordan down, but instead, Jordan threw him to the floor, a move which he believed may have broken or dislocated his shoulder, he told police.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/80324852.html

Lengthy article.

Ach, what's a man to do? The Chief Of Police up in Darby is tough. No doubt he raised heck if they were going to allow this Pastor low bail.

Sad. How does this man go on living?

A very similar incident happened not too far from me. A well known, well respected community member shot and killed his son. The boy was on dope and was beating both the mother and father and demanding money from them. The father grabbed the gun and pointed it at the son in hopes of making him stop, he pulled the trigger before he even knew it. The boy died instantly. It was a very, very sad day because everyone who knew this family, knew that the father would have never intentionally shot that boy. I personally have no doubt though that had he not shot him, the boy would have killed both of his parents. From what I understand he was on PCP and Fry (reefer dipped in formaldehyde.)

My heart goes out to this Pastor and his family.

O/T but I think Marvin Gaye's father was a Preacher as well. He shot his son.

We had a man ironically I think up in Darby who shot his son. The son was a heroin addict and after years of trying to help this kid I mean these poor people must just snap, and/or misfire? In that case the son actually lived and the poor dad was locked up. The son moved on back in to the dad's place.

What a world.

I don't understand. It sounds to me like the father did what he had to do and it broke his heart. Why is he being arrested? Is this not self-defense?

A very similar incident happened not too far from me. A well known, well respected community member shot and killed his son. The boy was on dope and was beating both the mother and father and demanding money from them. The father grabbed the gun and pointed it at the son in hopes of making him stop, he pulled the trigger before he even knew it. The boy died instantly. It was a very, very sad day because everyone who knew this family, knew that the father would have never intentionally shot that boy. I personally have no doubt though that had he not shot him, the boy would have killed both of his parents. From what I understand he was on PCP and Fry (reefer dipped in formaldehyde.)

My heart goes out to this Pastor and his family.

That is so sad. I have personally seen the effects drugs have on our children and it is very scary. My son got hooked on drugs his senior year of high school and what a drastic change on our family, there was many nights I would sleep with my bedroom door locked. My gentle, fun loving son turned into a monster, the twinkle in his eyes was replaced with nothing but darkness. Our story has a happy ending and my son got treatment and works his recovery, but I can totally understand how quickly things get out of control and the fear the parents face not knowing what to do. Sadly I think we are going to hear more and more stories like this. One thing I would say to parents going through something like drugs is have them arrested every time you can especially if they are underage living in your home, that is what saved us, we forced him to face the consequences and get help. Prays for the family.

I don't understand. It sounds to me like the father did what he had to do and it broke his heart. Why is he being arrested? Is this not self-defense?

One would think it would be. This poor man needs a good lawyer.

His bail is mighty high, but he's up on 1st degree murder which in Pennsy is an unbailable offense. The DA will look into it. It's sad. That's a rough neck of the woods where they live. Most people I'd think have firearms in the home legally or otherwise. That being said I'd be worried the son could have gotten the gun.

Prayer and a good lawyer. Still this family will never be the same.

It used to be in PA that the use of deadly force was always considered murder. They have backed off on this now, but it's been a major source of contention for many people.
For example, one of my dad's friends died in prison for murder--his crime? He killed a man going after his four-year-old daughter w/ a butcher knife. Appeals were exhausted long before the law was altered. :(

Ach, what's a man to do? The Chief Of Police up in Darby is tough. No doubt he raised heck if they were going to allow this Pastor low bail.

Sad. How does this man go on living?

This very same Police Chief spoke out how he was so surprised that Pastor Caldwell would be involved in something like this. From the article I read the PC knew the Pastor and evidently knows he is a peaceful man.

I just don't see how the DA is getting first degree murder out of this. Everything at the time of the one shot was so traumatic and nothing but chaos going on. My heart really breaks for this father. I no more believe he wanted to kill his son but just didn't know what else to do to stop him from attacking everyone and the Pastor had never fired a gun before. The gun may have had a hair trigger and it didn't take much pressure for it to go off.

This man needs a good attorney.

imo

This very same Police Chief spoke out how he was so surprised that Pastor Caldwell would be involved in something like this. From the article I read the PC knew the Pastor and evidently knows he is a peaceful man.

Then he has a good man on his side OBE. I'm sorry I missed that in the article. The PC up there is very active in the community. An honest, seasoned, tough on crime retired Philadelphia Detective.

Prayers going up for Pastor Cladwell and his entire family.

My heart goes out to this family. From what I've read so far, it seems that the son was way out of control and those in th house were in danger. I think that as more information comes out, we may learn that the son was very troubled.

About me:
WELL IM MARRIED TO A WONDERFUL WOMEN NAMED SHARRON CALDWELL AND I HAVE 8 BEAUTIFUL KIDS,I OWN MY OWN BUSINESS I DO PLUMBING,IM AM A PASTOR AT THE END TIME HARVEST MINISTIRES FOR CHRIST,MY LIFE RIGHT NOW IS WONDERFUL BECAUSE JESUS CAME INTO TO MY HEART WHAT A WONDERFUL JOY I HAVE AND THE WORLD CANT TAKE IT AWAY,I AM A MIGHTY MAN OF GOD..I WAS SAVED AT THE AGE OF 15, IF GOD COULD SAVE ME AT AGE 15, I KNOW HE CAN SAVE YOU AT WHATEVER AGE YOU ARE!!! GOD BLESS PASTOR CALDWELL

Who I'd like to meet:
JESUS,PAUL,DAVID,NOAH,MATTHEW,

not too much chance of meeting them where your going buddy.

Prosecutors dropped first degree murder charges against Pastor Caldwell today. Some plea agreement and waivers. He's still facing manslaughter charges.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/82873837.html

I never thought this was a first degree murder case to begin with.

I am glad they have been reduced and that this Pastor will have his day in court so he can explain to the jury what was happening when all of this happened and why he felt he had no choice other than to shoot his son.

If he pleas to voluntary manslaughter since he has no criminal record he could be given probation.

imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back