1024 users online (237 members and 787 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Mitigating Factor: Casey's Parents

I have become increasingly worried that Cindy and George will end up being the main mitigating factor the defense goes with. What is scary to me is the thought that Casey's family may be the most successful of the mitigators with a jury. A jury could give her somewhat of a break considering the disorders that abound within this family. I don't think she will be let off the hook because of this, but it could work with the right jury in sentencing.

Just a thought to throw out there...

I totally agree with you. I think this is one of the reasons that JB opposed the gag order. By allowing the family to go on TV and spout their claims, it creates an opportunity to demonstrate the difference between their actions and their "soundbites". Additionally....some of their bizarre behavior could serve as proof of the dynamics in the family. From day one...I have stated that JB is either a complete buffoon, or a genius. I think we are beginning to see that a number of things could POSSIBLY have been planned from the get go. Including.........some of the behavior, public statements, and I will go as far as to say.......changes in counsel. The family, IMO, is the biggest piece of this plan.

I'll put it to you this way.
    Lee and Jackie Peterson.

I don't think they made a lick of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I'll put it to you this way.
    Lee and Jackie Peterson.

I don't think they made a lick of difference.
    Yes, Lee and Jackie were good, but Cindy and George are a defense attorneys dream. Add in the pretty, young female factor and I'm just saying...there might be compromises in the sentencing phase of this trial. I hate to play the devils advocate here, but if its for the good of the team, I must stay the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Searchfortruth View Post
    Yes, Lee and Jackie were good, but Cindy and George are a defense attorneys dream. Add in the pretty, young female factor and I'm just saying...there might be compromises in the sentencing phase of this trial. I hate to play the devils advocate here, but if its for the good of the team, I must stay the course.
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=464998&postcount=21"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

DaughterAlice is offline ''I'm sorry if that sounds selfish, sweetie, but it's me! Me! Me! Me!''
    How many times can I thank you for this post?

I LOVE S-on-the-side's comment: "From day one...I have stated that JB is either a complete buffoon, or a genius." Brilliant! The A's have created so much drama and have made themselves look completely horrible.

How do we perceive the A's, aside from grieving grandparents? (May I be blunt?)
    Both: liars, in denial, wafflers, inablers.
    GA: weak, indecisive, hen-pecked/whipped, lacking common sense, shadey.
    CA: overbearing, manipulative, insecure, cruel, deceptive

Doesn't paint a pretty picture, does it? The more they go on saying that Caylee isn't dead, the worse it makes them look. The more they claim KC is innocent, the worse it makes them look.

What can I say? If I was on the defense team, I'd be ALL OVER THAT. I would say that "poor KC" just never even had a chance, she was psychologically scarred from being being raised by this couple. "Have mercy on her ladies & gentlemen of the jury!! She's a VICTIM!!"

MOO!!

Oh, and PS, KC would throw them both under the bus in a friggin' heartbeat!

I have always thought that CA and GA's behavior throughout this entire ordeal points to the guilt of KC.

mmm yes and no. I could see it, on one hand. But on the other, I would venture a guess that a great many criminals have a messed up and dysfunctional family. They are still responsible for their actions and as a juror I would be infuriated if I were told that Casey is a victim!

Considering my own long life, so too would I be infuriated. KC had advantages that many, if not most kids, in this country would give anything to possess. While to outsiders, CA appears overbearing, she was also a mother who shouldered practically all the childcare and financial burdens of her daughter. KC was a spoiled brat who rebelled when her mother finally demanded she grow up and face her responsibilities for Caylee. Is the family dysfunctional? What family is not, to some degree, especially when viewed in a catastrophic circumstance? For the most part, I think the Anthonys were a pretty average family, with typical problems revolving relationships and finances. Until, of course, their daughter killed her baby. I believe that in their minds and in their hearts, they know that. They're living their dark night of the soul and trying desperately to believe an alternative exists to their child being a monster. They failed to recognize her demons and poor Caylee paid the ultimate price. So they deny, deny deny...their guilt must be overwhelming.

DaughterAlice is offline ''I'm sorry if that sounds selfish, sweetie, but it's me! Me! Me! Me!''
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaF513 View Post
    Considering my own long life, so too would I be infuriated. KC had advantages that many, if not most kids, in this country would give anything to possess. While to outsiders, CA appears overbearing, she was also a mother who shouldered practically all the childcare and financial burdens of her daughter. KC was a spoiled brat who rebelled when her mother finally demanded she grow up and face her responsibilities for Caylee. Is the family dysfunctional? What family is not, to some degree, especially when viewed in a catastrophic circumstance? For the most part, I think the Anthonys were a pretty average family, with typical problems revolving relationships and finances. Until, of course, their daughter killed her baby. I believe that in their minds and in their hearts, they know that. They're living their dark night of the soul and trying desperately to believe an alternative exists to their child being a monster. They failed to recognize her demons and poor Caylee paid the ultimate price. So they deny, deny deny...their guilt must be overwhelming.
    All valid points, and well thought out. However, if you are sitting on the defense team, and a guilty verdict was inevitable, wouldn't you pull all the punches you could?

ITA, what family isn't dysfunctial? I would guess all of them, in varying degrees. My own little family unit just drove around 2000 miles so my dad could drive us all batty for the holidays. I wanted to run screaming out the door about once every couple of hours, but it's family.

It's lovely that you can sympathise with the A's, and I really do mean that. In my more humane moments, I can sympathise with them too. However, in the courtroom, things could get ugly. There will be blows beneath the belt, even at their expense. JMO

I don't believe that Cindy and George's behavior will provide any chance of Casey getting out of a guilty verdict, but during the sentencing phase, their behavior, could be used to lessen her punishment. I think back on the many interviews done by Cindy and George, and can not forget how infuriated I became with these people. It's sad to say, but there were times I debated over who I was more mad at, them or Casey. Casey will be held responsible for this crime, I feel sure...but if a jury reacts to Cindy and George like many of us have, in the sentencing phase, I worry that may be Casey's ticket out of the Death Penalty.

I've been waiting for this forever it seems. I felt the start of it was Casey's letter/statement to the public regarding her unhappiness over Caylee's cremation.

I felt that was the start. Didn't seem to go anywhere. But I can very well see the "Cindy drove her to this" defense and have been patiently waiting for it.

I actually think it might work!
    ~ If you talk to God, you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic...... House MD ~

Her parents are going to seal her fate imo, the raw words of her parents early on while speaking to LE. No one is going to feel sorry for Casey that she was coddled and over indulged.

Every criminal has parents they throw under the bus at sentence phase. It will fail.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEO_GQElPvA[/ame]
    Last edited by The World According; 12-29-2009 at 01:30 PM.

But

But in order for the parent's to play a role in the "Cindy drove me to this", Casey has to admit what this is..... Which means she would have to confess. Or I guess she could say, "Cindy drove me to not tell for 31 days that my daughter was missing" as a way to explain her behavior. I just don't see how they can bring in any mitigating factors without explaining what Casey did to Caylee. If she is innocent and didn't do anything wrong except not report for 31 days then what's the point of bringing in excuses?

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    I can see the defense throwing anyone and everyone including KC's parents and brother under the bus during the trial and I can almost see it being confusing. However I think the prosecutors will lay out a case in a manner that the jury will see through any smoke and mirrors.
    I also can't help but wonder if CA wont blow up on the stand as she has a hard time holding her tongue. Plus the fact that there are lies and contradicting words to deal with during trial.
    I don't know but I tend to think that in todays world there was no need to murder Caylee when there were so many other avenues that KC could have taken. So IMO whether she receives the DP or Life it dosen't matter to me as long as she never walks beyond the gates of a prison and I hope the jury will feel the same way.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast