FL - Girl, 11, set mom on fire in plot to kill her, Clearwater, 29 Dec 2009

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
"Police spokeswoman Elizabeth Watts said a motive was "probably just typical teenage angst."

Watts said there was ongoing tension between Nancy and Samantha Broadhead, which escalated Monday when the mother confronted her daughter about stealing some of her cigarettes.

Ault has been taken to a juvenile facility, and Samantha Broadhead is undergoing a mental evaluation.

www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-plot-to-kill,0,4492584.story

BBM Is Watts out of her mind? "Typical teenage angst??????????

"Police spokeswoman Elizabeth Watts said a motive was "probably just typical teenage angst."

Watts said there was ongoing tension between Nancy and Samantha Broadhead, which escalated Monday when the mother confronted her daughter about stealing some of her cigarettes.

Ault has been taken to a juvenile facility, and Samantha Broadhead is undergoing a mental evaluation.

www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-plot-to-kill,0,4492584.story

BBM Is Watts out of her mind? "Typical teenage angst??????????

That is the stupidest statement I have ever heard coming out of LE's mouth.
Typical???????????????:furious:

This crime seems to be motivated by the anger this girl had toward her mother. It doesn't seem to be because she had a boyfriend but he sure was more than willing to help her try to kill her mother by burning her up.

Sheesh, these violent crimes are being plotted and carried out by so many that are young. It truly is mind boggling.

Another story where DFCS has been involved and didn't do anything in time.

They've been out there 7 times THIS YEAR!???

And who lets an 11 yo girl have a boyfriend?:banghead:

They have been out about both defendants (Broadhead and Ault). Makes me wonder if he was physically abusing the girl or hitting the mom even back then. The police are the one that have been called out there to the home 7 times this year. I wonder if this mom was calling the police about him or maybe both of them.

imo

I am familiar with "typical teenage angst" and this is not it. I just can't believe the age of some of these criminals, and regardless of age, that's what they are.

I am familiar with "typical teenage angst" and this is not it. I just can't believe the age of some of these criminals, and regardless of age, that's what they are.

If this were an example of "typical teenage angst", I'm afraid to think about what is considered atypical.

For the love of all things sacred ya set your mom on fire with gasoline? Would Opie have set Andy on fire? Was The Beave ever mad at his mom who cleaned house in pearls?

Who do we blame? What do we blame it all on? It's like that song by "Jane's Addiction" that nothing's shocking.

BTW, that name Ault? I think that's the name of the guy who stole the watch from the man who died in the ER in Philly. I think. Is it MTV? Is it video games? Is it US as parents?

If this were an example of "typical teenage angst", I'm afraid to think about what is considered atypical.

Yes, if this was "typical teenage angst" a lot more parents would be ending up injured or dead.

My question exactly! It sounds like there were some very serious issues going on in that house and I'm hoping that she isn't let go free after this "mental evaluation". Even if the boyfriend was influencing her, there must be evil in her own heart to go along with attempting to kill her mother over cigarettes. And that leads me to my next question ~ what is she doing smoking at age 11 anyway? I'm just afraid if they let her go she'll do something else like this to whoever gets in her way. :banghead: :furious: MOO

And 11 years old is NOT a teenager! This girl is in, what, the 6th grade maybe? Good grief. :banghead:

My question exactly! It sounds like there were some very serious issues going on in that house and I'm hoping that she isn't let go free after this "mental evaluation". Even if the boyfriend was influencing her, there must be evil in her own heart to go along with attempting to kill her mother over cigarettes. And that leads me to my next question ~ what is she doing smoking at age 11 anyway? I'm just afraid if they let her go she'll do something else like this to whoever gets in her way. :banghead: :furious: MOO
The article said she was Baker Act'ed after threatening suicide. The article also stated long history of problems in the girl's home and specifically mentions the mother being charged with neglect back in 2002. Ault also has a long criminal history going back to about the age of 9

The victim has previously been charged with neglect and police called out on many domestic calls. Someone should have done something in all this time to get that little girl out of there and away from the teenage boy. Typical teenage angst is the most ridiculous passing the buck statement. They know darn well they should have done something on all those calls. I hope the girl is hospitalized and treated then goes straight to a group or foster home instead of back to her mother.

The article said she was Baker Act'ed after threatening suicide. The article also stated long history of problems in the girl's home and specifically mentions the mother being charged with neglect back in 2002. Ault also has a long criminal history going back to about the age of 9
Yes, I saw that and this seems exactly why with the combination of everything involved it was only a matter of time before this happened. :furious: MOO

The victim has previously been charged with neglect and police called out on many domestic calls. Someone should have done something in all this time to get that little girl out of there and away from the teenage boy. Typical teenage angst is the most ridiculous passing the buck statement. They know darn well they should have done something on all those calls. I hope the girl is hospitalized and treated then goes straight to a group or foster home instead of back to her mother.

I am not sure either is going to happen now.

"The girl, Samantha Broadhead, and her boyfriend, Jack Ault, were charged with attempted homicide and arson resulting in injury."

imo

I am not sure either is going to happen now.

"The girl, Samantha Broadhead, and her boyfriend, Jack Ault, were charged with attempted homicide and arson resulting in injury."

imo
Yes, thankfully. MOO

Gosh, has this 11 year old girl even gone through puberty? If not for this boy, would this have happened? Too many questions and no answers would make sense. Something is very wrong with childrens' environments today. jmo

Gosh, has this 11 year old girl even gone through puberty? If not for this boy, would this have happened? Too many questions and no answers would make sense. Something is very wrong with childrens' environments today. jmo

Interestingly, my sister had to take her daughter to the doctor at SIX; she noticed that she had begun growing pubic hairs. Fortunately, it turned out to be a treatable growth hormone problem BUT the first thing they questioned my sister about was the possibility of sexual abuse. Children who are sexually abused and/or begin to experiment sexually at an early age go through puberty earlier. In this case, I would think that, yes; most likely she has.

Even so, at 11, I just cannot imagine a CHILD of that age storing up such deep hatred against a parent to do such an evil act. There must have been much more than just some neglect going on in that family. But no matter what, no one deserves to be set on fire- to suffer such pain and disfigurement for life. I am not sure what a fitting punishment would be for one so young, though. One part of me would like to see her put away while another part would love to hold her and read some "Hank, the Cowdog" stories to her.

I do believe that society as whole is to blame to some extent. I'm not sure about this family but MOST of us have two parents working full time that come home exhausted and choose to rest rather than spend time with their kids. The kids, in turn, don't completely bond with their parents and look to TV, radio, video games, movies, magazines, etc. for examples on how to live their lives. And we all know what those examples are. I'm not sure what the solution is anymore. We do have to work. I have been fortunate enough to have a job that has pretty much allowed either my husband or myself to be home with the kids at all times........BUT, it means that we don't always see that much of each other. We are both willing to sacrifice that for our kids (who are pretty much raised and excellent children:angel:) but there are just so many things we have to be willing to give up for their good. My advice; don't have kids unless you can make some such similar arrangement!

Interestingly, my sister had to take her daughter to the doctor at SIX; she noticed that she had begun growing pubic hairs. Fortunately, it turned out to be a treatable growth hormone problem BUT the first thing they questioned my sister about was the possibility of sexual abuse. Children who are sexually abused and/or begin to experiment sexually at an early age go through puberty earlier. In this case, I would think that, yes; most likely she has.

Even so, at 11, I just cannot imagine a CHILD of that age storing up such deep hatred against a parent to do such an evil act. There must have been much more than just some neglect going on in that family. But no matter what, no one deserves to be set on fire- to suffer such pain and disfigurement for life. I am not sure what a fitting punishment would be for one so young, though. One part of me would like to see her put away while another part would love to hold her and read some "Hank, the Cowdog" stories to her.

I do believe that society as whole is to blame to some extent. I'm not sure about this family but MOST of us have two parents working full time that come home exhausted and choose to rest rather than spend time with their kids. The kids, in turn, don't completely bond with their parents and look to TV, radio, video games, movies, magazines, etc. for examples on how to live their lives. And we all know what those examples are. I'm not sure what the solution is anymore. We do have to work. I have been fortunate enough to have a job that has pretty much allowed either my husband or myself to be home with the kids at all times........BUT, it means that we don't always see that much of each other. We are both willing to sacrifice that for our kids (who are pretty much raised and excellent children:angel:) but there are just so many things we have to be willing to give up for their good. My advice; don't have kids unless you can make some such similar arrangement!

UBM:

I had pubic hair by six, as did one of my sons, and neither of us have been sexually abused. Just throwing that out there. BTW - neither of us (me or son) ever took anything for our "condition" - we just entered puberty earlier than most.

My doctor never questioned sexual abuse when she saw my son at that age with pubic hair, so I was interested to hear that it has been shown to be connected to potential abuse.

All my prayers to the family at issue in this case. It is unquestionably a family in peril.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back