1086 users online (177 members and 909 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    219

    MI - 14 going on 15 boy sent to prison


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nestled Deep in Southern Hospitality
    Posts
    20,565
    Quote Originally Posted by dnrslucky1 View Post
    D.J. Hilson, the Muskegon County Sr. Assistant Prosecutor says the sentence sends a clear message to the community. "We cannot tolerate that kind of conduct here in Muskegon County, regardless of age. When you break into someone's home and you violate-- not only the security of their home, but also their body, in the way that he did, you deserve to go to prison for a very long time."
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,187
    I hope he's not put into general population of the adult prison since he is still a kid. His poor victim is barely an adult herself. What a shame.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,910
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I hope he's not put into general population of the adult prison since he is still a kid. His poor victim is barely an adult herself. What a shame.

    A kid? Please, with a history like his, society is lucky they're locking him up before he kills someone! He'll probably kill someone in prison. He obviously can't conform to society rules of any kind, he's right where he belongs.


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,379
    Where should they put him? Juvie? So he can rape some little kid who shoplifts or smokes?

    Perfect. Then he could train even more young criminals. Oh, and get out when he's 18 and "rehabilitated."

    It is awful to think of a 14yo being that lost, but if he's breaking into homes and raping already then I don't think he has a chance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    God, I understand this, but I hate the thought of it so much. Prayers for this child and his family.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    Yes, MI lawmakers...you were right...we certainly don't need any more money allocated to preventative programs throughout the community. Makes perfect sense...those that would need them and don't get them, can't really tell anyone what would have helped. They're all in jail, and no one is listening.
    Thank you Jennifer Granholm, it surely seems you made the right decision. Addressing and allocating money for "Beautification of urban areas" seems to be doing so much better than the community centers and shelters and latchkey programs we had about 10 years ago.
    I guess we really never needed them.
    Teddius did, but what's one person, right, Jennifer?
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,868
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Yes, MI lawmakers...you were right...we certainly don't need any more money allocated to preventative programs throughout the community. Makes perfect sense...those that would need them and don't get them, can't really tell anyone what would have helped. They're all in jail, and no one is listening.
    Thank you Jennifer Granholm, it surely seems you made the right decision. Addressing and allocating money for "Beautification of urban areas" seems to be doing so much better than the community centers and shelters and latchkey programs we had about 10 years ago.
    I guess we really never needed them.
    Teddius did, but what's one person, right, Jennifer?
    I'm gonna go you one better, nmk, put aside the beautification projects, etc., and take a good look at TELEVISION. Have any of you seen the half-naked women gyrating in fake sexual ectasy? Have any of you seen the BIG condom ad, exploding during prime time with pleasure? Have any of you really paid attention to the language and innuendoes of the sit coms? If not, why not - too low-class and disgusting? Let's face it, what kids see plays a large part in what they do. I'm not saying television is totally to blame, but I believe it plays a BIG part. Sure, there are plenty of other factors in this, but we need to start somewhere and TELEVISION is one GOOD place to start.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,579
    I can understand that the current system doesn't work. I understand that there are no services for children when they first start to offend.

    What I would like to know is what his role model(s) are like. Do they have drug issues also? Do they think breaking into houses is alright? Was he taught this from infancy?

    One reason I have NEVER been able to be a pediatric nurse was due to my peds rotation and high risk peds rotation in school. There were drug addicted babies in the NICU, that HAD to be given back to their parents, when they were stable. Abused children were given back to their parents, because abuse could not be proven.

    No way could I have ever done that. Now things are different, to a point. We still get abused children, but law enforcement is swifter in acting, thank God. Would I want to work in ER or peds, no, couldn't do it, but admire those who can!

    So, bottom line, what was this boys beginning? Should a parent who didn't take action with his first offences (which I'm sure he didn't get caught at) be in charge of a young man, addicted to drugs? A society can only do so much. Where does a parents responsibility end and a societies responsibility start?

    I am not trying to condemn or justify anyone in this situation. I have no idea of what the parental figure did or didn't do in this situation. I am glad that this young man will not be able to harm, kill someone, but at 14, he could be released young enough to be a stronger, smarter criminal. Not what will keep society safe in the least.

    So where do the true answers lie? Sorry, feeling philosophical today and tired of parents not taking their responsibility. Again, not sure if this is the case here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Posts
    12,037
    This is wrong on so many levels. This is a child, regardless of the crimes he has committed, he is a child and the State of MI is responsible for his safety because they now have custody of him. I think it's totally irresponsible for a judge to sentence him to adult prison, period.

    Yes, he is a criminal and yes, he has committed a horrific crime but in sending him to adult prison the State of MI is also acting in a reckless and criminal manner. The big boys on the inside are going to eat this boy alive and the State of MI knows it!
    There are other options such as a lock down juvenile facility until the age of 18 at which time he could be transferred to an adult facility...as an adult, not a child.

    I can't begin to imagine what this boys home life and childhood must have been like but it surly can't be good. Where was the State of MI when they probably could have made a difference in this boys life as a young child? Shame on the State of MI, shame on the judge, and shame on this boys attorney of allowing the sacrifice of yet another child. Shame on everyone involved in this boys life who failed him.

    I agree that his crimes deserve punishment but he's a child and with the right treatment and intervention there is a chance he could grow up to be a contributing member of society. In prison he will grow up to be nothing more than a statistic.
    Last edited by momtective; 12-30-2009 at 11:05 AM.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    887
    This is so sad on so many levels. This boy has learned this behavior. He wasn't born bad. I'm thinking his parents, or parent, never taught him how to live by the rules of society. Unfortunately, many parents teach their children quite the opposite.

    I hate to say it, but some children are broken and cannot be fixed. That statement goes against everything I hold dear to my heart and it hurts me to even think such a thing. But it is true. Some of these kids are born into a life that is destined to fail.

    This boy was lost before he ever had a chance.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,910
    Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    This is wrong on so many levels. This is a child, regardless of the crimes he has committed, he is a child and the State of MI is responsible for his safety because they now have custody of him. I think it's totally irresponsible for a judge to sentence him to adult prison, period.

    Yes, he is a criminal and yes, he has committed a horrific crime but in sending him to adult prison the State of MI is also acting in a reckless and criminal manner. The big boys on the inside are going to eat this boy alive and the State of MI knows it!
    There are other options such as a lock down juvenile facility until the age of 18 at which time he could be transferred to an adult facility...as an adult, not a child.

    I can't begin to imagine what this boys home life and childhood must have been like but it surly can't be good. Where was the State of MI when they probably could have made a difference in this boys life as a young child? Shame on the State of MI, shame on the judge, and shame on this boys attorney of allowing the sacrifice of yet another child. Shame on everyone involved in this boys life who failed him.

    I agree that his crimes deserve punishment but he's a child and with the right treatment and intervention there is a chance he could grow up to be a contributing member of society. In prison he will grow up to be nothing more than a statistic.

    Hey! Hold up....you want to hold his parents responsible? That may be a good place to start. They probably failed him first. I don't want the state held responsible for raising children, do you? Really?

    I suggest more good people step up, become foster parents, CASA, Big Brothers/Sisters, YAP, neighbors start mentoring children you know that need one.

    You're very optimistic, the chance he can be rehabilitated is slim to none.

    If you think he's really worth it, and can change I'd start writing him letters and visiting him regularly....he'll need a good place to go when and IF he is ever released.


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,150
    From the link in the opening post:

    "Patterson has a previous record which includes breaking and entering, arson and cocaine possession."

    I wish I knew the answers to solve this type of situation, but if these previous charges are correct, he was a danger before this incident. It's really sad.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    I;m thinking the other charges stem from gang activity. Could be wrong, would be lovely if I am, but the gangs are snapping up members from the elementary schools these days.
    Muskegon isn't really a hotbed of gang activity, but the ones that are there are no less dangerous for it.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Hey! Hold up....you want to hold his parents responsible? That may be a good place to start. They probably failed him first. I don't want the state held responsible for raising children, do you? Really?

    I suggest more good people step up, become foster parents, CASA, Big Brothers/Sisters, YAP, neighbors start mentoring children you know that need one.

    You're very optimistic, the chance he can be rehabilitated is slim to none.

    If you think he's really worth it, and can change I'd start writing him letters and visiting him regularly....he'll need a good place to go when and IF he is ever released.
    Oh My! You are so right, I need to step up! I know at least one young boy that I could be a big sister to. Maybe I would make a difference and maybe not, but it is always worth my time to try!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NJ - Prison inmate sues over prison conditions
    By Linda7NJ in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 12:54 AM
  2. No Prison Break for "Prison Break" star Lane Garrison
    By dark_shadows in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 03:46 AM
  3. Prison 101
    By SouthEastSleuth in forum Janet Christiansen Abaroa
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 08:58 PM