GUILTY AR - Curtis, 5, & Virginia Markley, 4, die in hot car, Springdale, 15 June 2009

STEADFAST

Reaction score
Last summer, the tragedy of two children dying in the trunk of a car in Springdale, AR, brought an outpouring of sympathy for their parents. Monday, the mother was arrested because, as it turns out, she had left the 4 and 5 year olds unsupervised outside while she chatted with a fellow swinger for 2 hours. A warrant for her arrest was issued Nov 30, but she just turned herself a couple of days ago.
In the preliminary affidavit, Detective Matt Ray states Markley lied, saying she had watched her children go into the houses of two different neighbors, neighbors who said they were away from home at that time.

Ray also states: "a witness contacted the police department because he had been on-line chatting with Katrina Markley through an adult friend finders, or "swingers" website"

. . .
So police and prosecutors say Markley's neglect led to the death of her children, who, according to Markley's mother, liked to play inside the car. http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-markley-charged-children-death-trunk,0,4155719.story

As for the mother, I have nothing to say that wouldn't get me in trouble.

But, kudos to the person that approached the police. That had to be somewhat embarassing, and I feel it was his statement that led to her being charged.

I wonder if the dad knew what his wife was up to while he was gone, or if he's just finding out now. Here's a heart-wrenching quote from him soon after the incident.
"The children's father, Christopher Markley, is a long-haul trucker and had not seen his children since May 12.
"They were always rambunctious and getting into things," Markley told The Morning News. "I lived, breathed and died for those kids. I loved coming home. Every time, they'd be the first ones at my truck."
Markley was in West Memphis when he was told of the tragedy, and he rushed home."
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/jun/17/bc-ar-trunk-bodies-children1st-ld-writethru/

she's in a few 'mom' groups on facebook

she looks like a fresh-faced, nice suburbanite

I'm not going to make any statements regarding the mother, because none of them will be nice or respectful by ANY means.

However, I'm glad that justice was finally brought forward for the two little girls. May they rest in peace while their family continues to heal from their tragic loss. :rose: :rose:

RIP little babies im so sorry your egg donor let you down .. poor little angels ..

Steadfast - is this one of the cases we followed this summer? Seems there were two similar cases about young children dying in cars in their own driveways. I remember we had a lot of questions at the time.

Bless these two little ones and prayers for their families.

Salem

I know that there was this case and another where the brother and sister got locked in the car they wre playing in, either in the driveway or out front of their own house.

Don't ask for a link, I'm going off memory.

All I can say is this.... if she wanted to be in a swinger chat room why not wait until after the kiddo's were asleep for the night?

I'm glad that person came forward, whoever it was did the right thing by these little children.

She is only facing two misdemeanor charges, I don't call that justice.:banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back