Jurors and Voir Dire in the Casey A. Case

sleutherontheside

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Much is being discussed about the trial and subsequent penalty phase of the Casey A. trial. I would like to explore the job of the juror as seen by the prosecution and defense. I am particularly interested in the jury selection and voir dire. Here are a few interesting snips regarding juror googling and internet use. I will post additional references to discuss shortly.

http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/legal_blog_watch/2009/09/index.html

Courts Clamp Down On Jurors' Web Use

Juror's Googling Results in New Trial

JBean....I am sure it will. The questionaire was submitted for use during the check case. I assume she will have another for the murder trial.

Here is a post regarding AL statements about Voir Dire
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4581777&postcount=798"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4581777&postcount=798[/ame]

My concern is that jurors may be asked too many invasive questions during voir dire that become public record. There are questions that I wouldn't answer even having nothing to hide.

I first learned of what a complex process jury selection can be from the OJ trial. I wonder if it will be as complex and drawn out in this case ?

This is a great thread to start Sleuther, thanks !

JBean....I am sure it will. The questionaire was submitted for use during the check case. I assume she will have another for the murder trial.

Here is a post regarding AL statements about Voir Dire
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4581777&postcount=798

My concern is that jurors may be asked too many invasive questions during voir dire that become public record. There are questions that I wouldn't answer even having nothing to hide.

I just saw it said Fraud so I thought it was a generic one.

Has this been approved for use by the court for the fraud trial? I remember the motion being filed but not if anything has happened with it.

I've served on a jury several times and I don't see anything that is too out of the normal or too invasive in this questionnaire, except for questions 19 - 29. I don't recall being asked any questions like that during jury duty before. But, I would have no problem answering them.

I wonder if there is a "standard" juror questionnaire for Florida or Orange County that we could compare to this proposed one.

I just saw it said Fraud so I thought it was a generic one.
The lecture she gave regarding voir dire is nothing short of facinating. I posted the links to these lectures in the AL thread but I don't know how many people actually took time to listen to them. They are VERY interesting. They give an insight to her methods. One thing I found of particular interest......she discussed that some voir dire interviews were conducted in private and some were in the company of others. She used the "explanation" that she was running around between the interviews as a way to get transcripts of the interviews. Then she found ONE comment that she could use to personally identify with the juror. What I have a hard time getting past...is her reference to "the stupid jury". All this can be found in those lectures.

Do we know if AL will be the jury selection "expert" for the defense or will they bring in someone else ? If this has been publicized, I missed it.

I was wondering if they would have already begun and/or completed the process of jury selection for the check fraud trail. If they have completed it, would that make news or no?

i think this was answered somewhere. if i remember correctly, jury selection begins the first day of trial.

Does anybody suspect the trial will go beyond January 25? Just the one day, or more? I wonder if there is any evidence to be presented which we haven't yet seen.

Does anybody suspect the trial will go beyond January 25? Just the one day, or more? I wonder if there is any evidence to be presented which we haven't yet seen.

IMO, jury selection will probably take way more time than the trial itself. The trial will be 1-2 days, most likely.

I was wondering if they would have already begun and/or completed the process of jury selection for the check fraud trail. If they have completed it, would that make news or no?

IIRC at the last motion hearing Judge S was going to pull the first pool of Juror candidates but I did not see/hear anything since.

I am very intrigued as to whether the Check Fraud trial will proceed as scheduled or whether the Defense will pull a stunt to generate a delay ... or go for a last minute plea.

This seems like an un-necessary distraction but at the same time can give both sides a chance to try the waters as a test case.

Great idea for a thread...it's about that time!
I remember hearing of a 2010 trial and thinking "that's forever from now".
My, how time flies. My only hope is that justice will be served for CAYLEE.

IIRC at the last motion hearing Judge S was going to pull the first pool of Juror candidates but I did not see/hear anything since.

I am very intrigued as to whether the Check Fraud trial will proceed as scheduled or whether the Defense will pull a stunt to generate a delay ... or go for a last minute plea.

This seems like an un-necessary distraction but at the same time can give both sides a chance to try the waters as a test case.

Not sure how defense could delay it as KC admitted stealing from her friends in her written statement to LE regarding Caylee being missing on July 15th. I also think she mentioned it on July 16th during her taped interview. That and the videos. Bet they wait until the last minute and either ask for a plea deal. There is no defense in this case without bring up her daughter as the reason she committed the crime. JMO

would any one of us who has posted on this case anywere, attended the hearing be disqualified as juror? i can not imagine how many of us would be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back