GUILTY Canada - Dar Heatherington, alderwoman, for public mischief, Lethbridge, 2003

blueclouds

Former member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
blueclouds said:

The US should throw the book at her, stupid cow. :behindbar I am going to read your links, have they made her resign yet? She gives us Canadians a bad name.

An Alberta alderwoman was found guilty of public mischief today for fabricating a stalker and writing lurid letters to herself in a saga that crossed borders and made international headlines.
Dar Heatherington's sniffles could be heard in the courtroom as she stared straight ahead, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue, as Judge Peter Caffaro delivered his decision.

"I found that Mrs. Heatherington was not to be trusted to tell the truth," Caffaro said about an interview the alderwoman had with Lethbridge police that was videotaped.

Heatherington is to be sentenced Sept. 10. The judge agreed to the Crown's request for a psychiatric assessment before that.

The maximum sentence is five years in prison.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...=968332188774&col=968705899037&tacodalogin=no

This story baffles me so! I can't imagine she needed the attention- as being on council would certainly gain you some notoriety in her town as well as attention galore...a psychiatric evaluation is probably relevant and long over-due. Mental health issues are complex and serious, I just wish these "never cry wolf" incidences don't overshadow real, abductions etc... JMHO.

:confused: :confused: :sick: :bang:

The news up here won't shut up about this chick. HOPING SHE GOES TO JAIL though.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Law/2004/10/31/695143-cp.html

"Hembroff expressed frustration last week that her client was receiving a lot more attention from the Crown than warranted for charges pertaining to a public mischief case.

"You'd think this was Osama Bin Heatherington," Hembroff said last week.

Heatherington walked into court Monday with her new legal team but left hand-in-hand with her husband, Dave, following the court proceedings. She said nothing to reporters.

Heatherington, 41, made national headlines last year when she mysteriously vanished in Montana while on Lethbridge city council business. She surfaced three days later in Las Vegas, saying she had been abducted and sexually assaulted - a story that was discounted by U.S. investigators.

On Sept. 10 she was convicted of public mischief for sending lurid letters to herself and complaining to police that she was being stalked. Heatherington is accused of breaching the terms of her conditional sentence, which included eight months of house arrest.

The court order allowed Heatherington to leave her residence only to attend medical emergencies, bring her children to and from school, do four hours of shopping per week, attend religious services or participate in treatment and counselling.

"We don't have clear details yet on what the breach is supposed to be, but we're going to be gathering some witnesses because we're not admitting the breach by any means and will be fighting against that," said Der. "

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back