IL - Matisha Goens charged with abandoning baby, Chcago, 1 Jan 2010

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Oh my God, wait until you see this little cutie pie!

6-month-old girl left at South Side police station
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1969693,baby-girl-left-south-side-police-station-010209.article

The unidentified girl was left at the Grand Crossing police station, 7040 S. Cottage Grove Ave., about 3:50 p.m., according to police.

snip

Police said two witnesses saw a woman who appeared to be 18 to 24, dressed in a black jacket and top, dark blue skinny jeans, a black skull cap and wearing boots with white fluffy fur trim come briefly inside with the stroller. She mumbled something to the effect of that she’d forgotten something and that she’d be “right back” but she never returned, according to police.

The baby is 25-inches long and weighs 17 pounds. She is Hispanic, has brown eyes and black hair, pierced ears and a light complexion.

She was found in a black and silver "Baby Trend Expedition" stroller with a multi-colored Winnie the Pooh blanket. She was wearing a pink jacket with butterflies and a jumper with "ABC" printed on it.The girl has two teeth and pierced ears with diamond earrings.

Unbelievable racist crap at that link!

Too bad Casey didn't drop Caylee off somewhere safe.

Why are they trying to ID her?? Dont they have a safe haven law??

Ahhh-the safe haven expires at 30 days. So they are going to hunt down Mom and force her to take her back???

She is beautiful-I will be happy to take her....

Guess they're trying to find her so they can charge her with abandoning her child. This Mom probably realized she couldn't care for her baby, for whatever reason, and left her at a police station, which she thought was a safe place. But, they're looking for her so she can be charged with a crime? Leaving a baby in the woods someplace is definitely not the same as leaving a baby at a police station!

I think this mom did the right thing. Maybe she has issues and can't or doesn't want her, she at least
left her somewhere safe and didn't abuse/kill her, let a boyfriend hurt her, or leave her beside the street. I say find the sweet angel a loving home and leave the mom alone.

Thank god this woman left this baby somewhere safe and did not harm her. Apparently she feels like she cant take care of her. I do not think she should be punished. I know that the time frame has expired as far as the safe haven law but it took a lot of courage to do that , I am just glad she is safe and not in a trashcan somewhere or worse...
jmo

I hope they leave the mom alone. I'm just so grateful that if she couldn't, or didn't want to, take care of this little beauty, she did the right thing and left her somewhere very safe. Thank God!

I hope this little cutie pie gets some wonderful, loving parents.

ETA: Why don't they take all that money for pursuing the mother and just put it in a college fund for this baby girl instead?

Baby-Jane-Doe-Area-2-SVU612.jpg

They obviously have to investigate.
The child is older than 30 days. Also there is no guarantee that the woman who left the child is actually the child's mother.

OMG she's adorable! Mom did the right thing and I so hope they will just leave her alone. Baby is alive and safe and that's all that should matter.

OMG she's adorable! Mom did the right thing and I so hope they will just leave her alone. Baby is alive and safe and that's all that should matter.

Why did you automatically assume (like everyone else) that the woman was in fact the "mom?" I am amazed that the child was abandoned and yet people don't even want the investigation done. Even if the woman is "mom" the safe heaven law only applies to children under 30 days old.

They obviously have to investigate.
The child is older than 30 days. Also there is no guarantee that the woman who left the child is actually the child's mother.

Well I hadn't thought of that, and you're right, they do need to confirm that this little doll wasn't abducted.

Why did you automatically assume (like everyone else) that the woman was in fact the "mom?" I am amazed that the child was abandoned and yet people don't even want the investigation done. Even if the woman is "mom" the safe heaven law only applies to children under 30 days old.

You're right, I am assuming the woman was/is in fact the mother of this child and in assuming that, I wish they would leave her alone. Yes, I understand the law but having been here at WS for a while now, I've seen the alternative to leaving a baby in a safe place such as a police station. I'm glad the woman had the sense to leave her baby there rather than kill her and toss her along the side of the road or throw her lifeless body in a dumpster. So she broke the law...big freakin' deal...the baby is alive!
So again, assuming the woman was/is this baby's mother I wish her well and I for one am grateful that she did not harm her sweet little baby. JMO

Well I hadn't thought of that, and you're right, they do need to confirm that this little doll wasn't abducted.

Exactly. I think it's also a safe bet that if a man left this child at the police station, people wouldn't be so fast to just assume he is the father, everything is great, and police shouldn't try to find why the child was left at the station.

I didn't think about that either JJenny.
The stroller is a pretty nice and not a cheap one the baby looks well taken care of. I am thankful that little one is safe and we not talking about an Amber Alert...mother or not.

I understand the need to investigate. Of course they should make sure the child hasn't been abducted. But if they would let the woman know that she will not be prosecuted if she comes forward in XX hours/days/whatever just so they can get some info...if they tell she can do it anonymously like with Safe Haven, then maybe she'll help. But if she thinks she's going to go to jail for trying to keep her baby safe, then why would she do anything but hide.

We have no idea of her motives. From the article it sounds as if the baby had some nice things. Maybe she or her DH were going fine but now have lost their job, maybe he left, maybe he's abusive, maybe she's reached out for help and been denied...who knows? But threatening her is not going to encourage anyone to help.

I understand the need to investigate. Of course they should make sure the child hasn't been abducted. But if they would let the woman know that she will not be prosecuted if she comes forward in XX hours/days/whatever just so they can get some info...if they tell she can do it anonymously like with Safe Haven, then maybe she'll help. But if she thinks she's going to go to jail for trying to keep her baby safe, then why would she do anything but hide.

We have no idea of her motives. From the article it sounds as if the baby had some nice things. Maybe she or her DH were going fine but now have lost their job, maybe he left, maybe he's abusive, maybe she's reached out for help and been denied...who knows? But threatening her is not going to encourage anyone to help.

If the child has diamond earrings on, this doesn't sound like her caregivers were starving, does it?

If the child has diamond earrings on, this doesn't sound like her caregivers were starving, does it?

That's exactly my point. It sounds like they had nice things not that long ago. It sounds like something has happened to drastically change their situation.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't investigate. I'm saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions, especially ones based on this woman and baby's race. I think there are more productive ways of getting people to cooperate.

Fair enough, but also an assumption.

I hope that everything works out well for the baby....

The baby is adorable and it appears she is well taken care of. I agree that the person that left the baby needs to be found in order to determine if she is the mom. Maybe the mom was in some kind of trouble with a gang or something and left the child at the police station for protection. Maybe something happened to her when she went to get whatever she forgot and maybe she isn't the mom at all, but she knows who the mom is?

Prayers all the questions are answered soon and the baby is well taken care of and finds a happy home.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back