1465 users online (332 members and 1133 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got a pet tarantula? Better protect your eyes!!!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) Here's some advice stemming from the unusual case of a man who had spider hairs stuck in his cornea: Be sure to cover your eyes when hanging around with your pet tarantula.

Ophthalmologists at St. James's University Hospital in Leeds, England, used high magnification lenses to find out what made the man's eye red, watery and light-sensitive, according to a study reported in the British medical journal The Lancet on Thursday.

They discovered hair-like projections stuck in the man's cornea.

It was a light bulb moment for the patient, who remembered that three weeks earlier he had been cleaning a stubborn stain on the glass tank of his pet, a Chilean Rose tarantula.

"He sensed movement in the terrarium. He turned his head and found that the tarantula, which was in close proximity, had released 'a mist of hairs' which hit his eyes and face," the doctors wrote.

"We suggest that tarantula keepers be advised to routinely wear eye protection when handling these animals," the doctors said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100101/...tarantula_eyes

I thought of Tricia's son's tarantula when I read this and decided to post it!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

omg, this scared me.

OMG, scared me too.

I know eye problems are a pain to begin with. I cut mine once taking a necklace cross off and boy that really hurt.

Make sure to wear the protective gear all.....

My DS really wanted a tarantula for his 8th birthday. It wouldn't have bothered me, but you can't really do much with them and, as this article states, even the hairs can irritate your skin (or eyes)! He settled for two dwarf robo hamsters!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Oh geez,just when I was thinking of getting a tarantula...

No tarantulas at my house, but this sounds horrible! And they basically just have to leave those hairs in his eyes. I mean yuck. I wear contacts and I wonder if I could still wear them if I had tarantula hairs in my eyes.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chefs hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. Douglas Adams

Animals certainly do have ways to let it be known that they don't want to be bothered.

WHY in GODS NAME would ANYONE want a TARANTULA?!?!? It took every ounce of strength I had just to open this thread! Ewwwwwwwww. Majorly arachnophobic. Okay, going now.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzieCat View Post
    No tarantulas at my house, but this sounds horrible! And they basically just have to leave those hairs in his eyes. I mean yuck. I wear contacts and I wonder if I could still wear them if I had tarantula hairs in my eyes.
    lol I wear contacts too but this is not the kind of dilemma I would even want to consider. Do I get that tarantula or do I risk his pesky hairs in my eyes?
    No tarantulas for me

Hmm this totally ups the ante for me getting a snake instead.

I had a tarantula once. He was a pink toe. He was beautiful jet black and fuzzy with day glo pink toes. Very gentle, he would stop eating about 3 weeks before he'd molt. Once he was done I'd feed him crickets. Well the last time he molted he was to weak to eat and he died.

He really wasn't scary.
    God is Great Beer is Good And People are Crazy

I didn't know there were tarantulas with pink toes!
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chefs hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by lovelabs View Post
    I had a tarantula once. He was a pink toe. He was beautiful jet black and fuzzy with day glo pink toes. Very gentle, he would stop eating about 3 weeks before he'd molt. Once he was done I'd feed him crickets. Well the last time he molted he was to weak to eat and he died.

He really wasn't scary.
    Wow, they sound neat! I'm going to look them up to see one. That's so sad that he died like that. No matter what our little animals buddies are we love them.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_16 View Post
    Wow, they sound neat! I'm going to look them up to see one. That's so sad that he died like that. No matter what our little animals buddies are we love them.
    Here's a good photo of one. They are cool. I never heard of them before.

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/20...ra-avicularia/

belleyes is offline LOOK I learned how to type a user title.
    Anyone want to take a guess at how they got the hairs out of his eye???? The full article said the hairs have barbs(Maybe I dont wanna know)
    princess - daughter of The King

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast