1067 users online (235 members and 832 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GA - Parents Arrested for Giving Kids Tattoos

Oh this is a good one...

Couple arrested for giving kids tattoos

A northwest Georgia couple arrested for giving six of their children homemade tattoos say they didn't do anything wrong. The kids, they say, wanted the tattoos to be like Mom and Dad.

"I'm their mother," Patty Jo Marsh said late Saturday. "Shouldn't I be able to decide if they get one?"

snip - Marsh and her husband, Jacob Bartels, did the tattoos in their Summerville home. They cleaned up a tattoo machine someone gave them, and used guitar strings as a needle. Out of the seven children in their custody, only the youngest child did not get a tattoo.

"They weren't hurt by them," Marsh said.

snip - Marsh said the children, ages 10 to 17, wanted the small cross tattoos, and the couple did them after Thanksgiving. But when two of the children spent a weekend after Christmas with their biological mother, she reported it to DFACS and police.

snip - she and her husband were arrested. They were each charged with cruelty to children, reckless conduct and tattooing, something Marsh they didn't realize was illegal.

"If we knew that, we wouldn't have done it," Marsh said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/couple-arres...ng-265194.html

More here with video with interview of the lovely mom. She's a delight.

Parents Arrested For Tattooing Kids

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/offb...ldren-20100102

Wow......

Mom claims it isn't permanent? Is that true?

While I think it was stupid...I don't consider it child abuse. Apparently, the children weren't forced.

People circumcise baby boys and pierce the ears of their children everyday in this country. I fail to see the difference.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Wow......

While I think it was stupid...I don't consider it child abuse. Apparently, the children weren't forced.

People circumcise baby boys and pierce the ears of their children everyday in this country. I fail to see the difference.
    If a person circumcised baby boys in their own backyard, without a medical license, maybe you'd see a difference then?

Wow......

At home with homemade instruments? Wow.

Actually, now that you mention it, there was a case recently of a father who circumcised his baby at home. The baby's injuries were absolutely horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post

Actually, now that you mention it, there was a case recently of a father who circumcised his baby at home. The baby's injuries were absolutely horrific.
    Exactly. GA law prohibits anyone who is not a licensed professional from giving tattoos, and giving tattoos to minors under 18.

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Exactly. GA law prohibits anyone who is not a licensed professional from giving tattoos, and giving tattoos to minors under 18.

But does it still meet the definition of a tattoo......... if what the mother said was true, that it's not permanent? If it is indeed temporary and will fade away......it's not a real tattoo IMO
    Last edited by Linda7NJ; 01-03-2010 at 03:18 PM.

But does it still meet the definition of a tattoo......... if what the mother said was true, that it's not permanent? If it is indeed temporary and will fade away......it's not a real tattoo IMO
    They used a tattoo machine and ink. You tell me.
    Last edited by jjenny; 01-03-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post

Mohels need not have a medical licence.

and............

"The centuries-old practice, called metzizah bi peh or metzitzah b'peh, involves a mohel using his mouth to suction blood from the wound after the foreskin is removed. The ritual is used by Hasidic and ultra-Orthodox Jews."
    http://www.cirp.org/news/thejournalnews12-17-05/

and............

"The centuries-old practice, called metzizah bi peh or metzitzah b'peh, involves a mohel using his mouth to suction blood from the wound after the foreskin is removed. The ritual is used by Hasidic and ultra-Orthodox Jews."
    What is your point?
    Your own link states several babies were infected with herpes, presumably because of this practice. One baby died and one suffered brain damage.
    Last edited by jjenny; 01-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.

My point is....making holes in a child's ears, and lopping off part of a child's genitals is perfectly legal and acceptable. In the grand scheme of things...I don't think what this woman did is any worse.

I think society, in general, has no problem with the practice of piercing children's ears....but I would bet........ those very same people would be outraged if a parent pierced a child's bellybutton or eyebrow.

I have to ask myself why????

and............

I'm quite well aware of that, but thanks.

It has nothing to do with rigging up a gutten plastic pen and guitar strings to electrical wires and applying it to the skin of children.

I think society, in general, has no problem with the practice of piercing children's ears....but I would bet........ those very same people would be outraged if a parent pierced a child's bellybutton or eyebrow.

I have to ask myself why????
    For the same reason we are wearing clothes rather than running around naked.
    Acceptable norms of behavior.

My point is....making holes in a child's ears, and lopping off part of a child's genitals is perfectly legal and acceptable. In the grand scheme of things...I don't think what this woman did is any worse.
    lol. I just did a search and found all these cases of parents mutilating their little boys' genitals at home with crude instruments. The court system disagrees with you that it's perfectly legal. Those little boys would certainly disagree with you that it's acceptable.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast