FDA finds roaches, listeria at airline caterer

jnTexas

Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
Reaction score
http://www.khou.com/news/FDA-finds-roaches-listeria-at-airline-caterer-80717907.html

DALLAS -- A company that prepares food for major airlines says it has cleaned up its Denver kitchen after federal inspectors found live and dead roaches and listeria bacteria at the facility.

According to an FDA letter to the company, inspectors who examined the Denver facility found live and dead roaches "too numerous to count" in several areas of the kitchen, including at least 40 live insects in the silverware station.

The FDA said inspectors saw employees touching food with bare hands or while wearing unwashed gloves. They also noted problems with the building, including water dripping from the ceiling into utensil-cleaning areas and holes in walls that could house insects or vermin.

YUCK!!!

YUCK is right! I thought of the old Airplane movie where everyone gets sick from the food served on the plane. Was it chicken or fish?

YUCK is right! I thought of the old Airplane movie where everyone gets sick from the food served on the plane. Was it chicken or fish?

This is so gross. Supplies food for Delta, American, United. All the airlines I use of course.

The only movie I know of is the comedy "Airplane." Everyone gets sick from eating the fish.

That movie was so stupid and funny. One of my guilty pleasures.

Leslie Nielsen cracks me up just looking at him.

Back to the topic. From now on I'll buy one of those 27 dollar dry turkey sandwiches in the airport and take it on the plane. Better than cockroach goo on my stuff. Bleech.

Oh...that is SO disgusting - really bad!! I'm glad the problem is getting resolved, but I can't help but wonder how many other food facilities have similar or worse problems. Makes me want to prepare and cook ALL the food I ingest - at home!

Tricia, you might want to just pack a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich from home . A couple of weeks ago I read an article about how bad the airport restaurants are. Sorry, no link

Oh for the love of all things disgusting.

Why do I look at any thread that has the word "dead roaches" in it?

We were pre-conditioned to never get ice on an airplane before the listeria thing was all out in the open. In fact to this day I won't get ice out anywhere? As if the glass I'm drinking out of and what's in it wasn't exposed to any germs.

Oh for the love of all things disgusting.

Why do I look at any thread that has the word "dead roaches" in it?

We were pre-conditioned to never get ice on an airplane before the listeria thing was all out in the open. In fact to this day I won't get ice out anywhere? As if the glass I'm drinking out of and what's in it wasn't exposed to any germs.

There's only one good kind of roach...a dead roach.

I wonder if the same facilities make the sandwiches sold in the stores at the airport as makes the airplane food? Are you allowed to take your own sandwich (one made from home) on the airplane?

That is disgusting and extremely dangerous! If a pregnant woman had eaten that Listeria ridden food, she could have possibly lost her baby. Someone with a weakened immune system could have lost their life. My boss's mother was on her deathbed from a Listeria infection and somehow miraculously pulled through it. Listeria is nothing to mess around with. Shame on them.

I once got sick on a plane.
I bring all my own food.

I carry my own food when flying.

When cruising, we go in two days ahead of time and watch where and what we eat (they won't let you on a ship if you've been sick).

After watching a segment on hotels and their housekeeping procedures, we never use the glasses that are provided in hotel rooms unless they are the type that are sealed in plastic. This news channel went to several hotels and somehow taped housekeepers washing the glasses out with the same rags they cleaned the toilet and counters with. It was SO GROSS! And this happened in hotels from the low-end to the high-end in price.

We caught the Norovirus while on vacation this summer. We both got sick after eating identical carry-out food. You talk about a nasty illness. I understand why they take people off on stretchers from the cruise ships.

All this makes me want to stay home and never eat out and never travel!

Edited to add: I buy sealed plastic glasses at Costco and travel with those.

Why would anyone even want to fly? The fees, crappy food, stuck on the tarmac, security, check-in crappola. Unless you need to cross a large body of water driving would be better.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back