Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theories On What Happened To Susan Powell

Quote Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
    1) She left of her own accord and is still in hiding somewhere.
    2) She was abducted by person or persons unknown
    3) She was killed by person or persons unknown
    4) She was abducted by Josh, possibly with help from father?
    5) She was killed by Josh, her body removed and dumped by Josh, possibly with help

I can see no other possible scenarios to explain her continued absense.

1) Extremely unlikely, she would not have left her two children, would not have left her friends in ignorance all this time, and would have had to take something from the house with her - keys, phone, purse, coat, money, which we have no suggestion from Josh or LE that she did.

2) Extremely unlikely. First we have to accept Josh's camping trip story, and then someone has to gain access to the house while he is out (no sign of a break in), either knowing it is occupied by a single female, or in the hopes of that.

3) same as 2, except that they kill her instead of abducting her.

4) Possible, and this is what her friends are hoping for, and that she will either escape or be released. If she has been abducted by Josh, it is most likely to brainwash her out of the LDS, and he must be holding her somewhere, most likely at his father's house, so the father must be in on the scheme. However I don't think Josh would have chosen late on a Sunday evening for such a plot, knowing it would be discovered as soon as their Monday routine was broken. If such a scheme was planned, it was triggered early.

5) Most likely. An argument occured late at night, around 11:30pm to 11:45pm. Josh kills Susan unintentionally, and then panics and decides to dump her body rather than own up. He wraps her in plastic or something to disguise her, puts the body in the van, possibly letting off the alarm in the process. He can't leave the children unattended, nor can he call a neighbour to babysit them while he dumps her body in the woods, so he takes them with him, and concocts the cock-and-bull story about a camping trip to cover his actions. He has mopped up the mess he made killing her, and leaves fans on to dry the wet patch where she died.
    I suppose it is possible that he put her in the front passenger seat and strapped her in, so the kids thought she was coming on the trip, which might explain the 4yo's comment about his mother staying in the woods.
    Returning to the house the next day, the scene has already been discovered by LE and he presents his cock-and-bull story, dreamed up while driving, possibly with manufactured evidence to back it up, though we have seen no sign of any such evidence. Nobody believes it, but nobody can disprove it if he refuses to take LE to the camping site, which he apparently does.

Forensic evidence is gathered from the house, which takes 4-8 weeks to fully analyse.
    Until that analysis is complete the LE will not have a case to convict him, but they can keep him munder observation wherever he is.

4 weeks and 4 days have now passed.
    Bartleby, I vote for #5. Great post.
    The Hokey Pokey Clinic - A good place to turn yourself around:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to azwriter For This Useful Post:

Ok, this is a sick and twisted thought, but since Josh's fathers birthday is Dec 19th, could there have been a motive there for him to get rid of Susan as a sort of gift to his father? I know it's pretty off the wall but nothing in this story seems normal to me! Was Josh up in WA on Dec 19th celebrating the day with his daddy?

VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vegas Bride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    Ok, this is a sick and twisted thought, but since Josh's fathers birthday is Dec 19th, could there have been a motive there for him to get rid of Susan as a sort of gift to his father? I know it's pretty off the wall but nothing in this story seems normal to me! Was Josh up in WA on Dec 19th celebrating the day with his daddy?

VB
    I think it has more to do with it being the first Sunday of the month. Isn't that fast and testimony Sunday?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayO For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RayO View Post
    I think it has more to do with it being the first Sunday of the month. Isn't that fast and testimony Sunday?
    Fast? As in breakfast is pancakes for supper? Ayyyeee! Poison comes to mind, and sadness to heart.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:

As usual, I will go back and forth on premeditated and intentional versus accidental or due to fight but not planned.

I think I will always have to be convinced again and again that some people truly are selfish and evil enough to kill their own spouse, and mother of their children according to some plan.

Then I remind myself that it's no problem for a pathological narcissist who has the ability to not care that much anyways. The example being how fast Josh was ready to move on. Everybody else is still looking for Susan. I guess I'd have to accept that it may make him capable of a premeditated, intentional murder.

Wild theory, Vegas Bride. Now that would be too hard for my mind to handle.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curious Me For This Useful Post:

I think Susan could have been drugged or poisoned when her friend was over since Susan became ill after dinner and went to sleep. I've thought from the beginning that he could have put her in the vehicle in a drugged state and left her out in some remote area to die of hypothermia or killed her there. I don't know what was on the wet spots, but she could have been trying to get away, struggled, or vomited as he was getting her out of the home. If the son said his mommy stayed in the woods then she was taken to the woods with them.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to txsvicki For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I think Susan could have been drugged or poisoned when her friend was over since Susan became ill after dinner and went to sleep. I've thought from the beginning that he could have put her in the vehicle in a drugged state and left her out in some remote area to die of hypothermia or killed her there. I don't know what was on the wet spots, but she could have been trying to get away, struggled, or vomited as he was getting her out of the home. If the son said his mommy stayed in the woods then she was taken to the woods with them.
    I really agree with you

I don't think it was blood on the carpet..that would show..I think she vomited

I think the "timing" had to do with a decision by Susan...I think she had asked for a divorce, wanted him out of there, wanted the kids,

she basically supported them all...his money would be cut off, his "pride" hurt, his control broken

I think he gave her some sleeping pill or drugged her to give him time..I think that she may have thrown up...I think he got her/led her to the van and off they all went..."left" her in the woods

His 2nd "camping and smores" trip may have been to hide her better or cover his tracks or ??

I think the "father" may have helped him in the coverup but I doubt this was a planned conspiracy (but may be a conspiracy after the fact, accomplice after the fact)

I am firm in the idea that the MOST dangerous time for a woman in an abusive controlling situation is when she finally says "enough"..and ends it...I think Susan said "enough' and this tragedy unfolded

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LogicalMinds For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Hard to tell where to put this, but a child in WA just came across human remains and I wanted to post the thread on the off chance it had anything to do with this case...
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96165"]WA - 8-year-old Finds Human Remains Near Toledo - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post

VB
    He did leave on the 18th I think. Who knows WHAT or HOW this family thinks.

Breathe is offline Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus
    Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Hard to tell where to put this, but a child in WA just came across human remains and I wanted to post the thread on the off chance it had anything to do with this case...
    WA - 8-year-old Finds Human Remains Near Toledo - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seat...san-Cox-Powell

February 18, 2010 - TOLEDO - An 8-year old boy playing in a wooded area in Lewis County, Wash., near the Cowlitz River on Thursday afternoon came upon remains that Lewis County sheriffs do not believe belong to Susan Cox Powell.

The mother of two young boys went missing from her West Valley City, Utah home in early December, and has yet to be found. (Click here and here for more information about Susan's disappearance.)

The sheriff's office said the 8-year old boy was playing outside at approximately 3:30 p.m. Thursday when he made the horrifying discovery that has local authorities looking for answers.

Detectives are searching the area and, at this time, have no information as to how long the remains had been there or how the person died.

One thing they are quite sure of, the remains are not those of missing Utah mom, Susan Cox Powell, whose hometown is Puyallup, Wash., about one hour southeast of where the body was found.

Chief Deputy Stacy Brown, Public Information Officer (PIO) for Lewis County Sheriff's office, told Examiner.com Friday, "We have no reason to believe the human remains found were those of Susan Powell."

Aerial footage of the scene captured by KOMO News' Air 4 shows detectives combing the area with cadaver dogs. A search team also can be seen forming up near the rural site.

Little information is available at this time but Examiner.com will keep you informed as information is released.

The remains were found at a location along the 100-block of Cougar Lane. Stacey Brown also said it is too early to determine if the person was the victim of a crime. She said the remains are most likely those of an adult.

Cadaver dogs are being called in to help search for additional clues, including something that might lead to the identity. The investigation includes checking missing persons records.

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott said authorities do not have any indication that the remains might belong to Lindsey Baum, the young girl who disappeared June 26 in the small town of McCleary, about 50 miles away.

Undersheriff Scott confirmed with Examiner.com that the remains are not those of Lindsey Baum and that the case of the discovered remains is being handled by Lewis County Sheriff's office.

Police continue their investigation into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell.

The last person to see Susan was her husband, Josh Powell, who remains the sole person of interest in the case police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

Josh and Susan were both from Puyallup, where Josh is now living with his father.

Believe09 - Thank you so much for posting this. Not that I want this to be someone's loved one but maybe the family will finally have peace. I wonder if it's Nancy Moyer since they ruled out Lindsey Baum? So, so sad for everyone involved. I wish life were fair.
    Last edited by Breathe; 02-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way. ~Author Unknown

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Breathe For This Useful Post:

Every time something like this comes up, POI will have to wonder if he'll be asked again by the press to make a statement about whether he thinks it's his wife. He could even wonder if he'll be framed. Enormous pressure. And don't let the boys watch TV. They might hear something where they bring up daddy's name again in the news.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:

Unidentified Body Found in Utah

MAP starting at Powell home in West Valley City, and site near where today's remains were found in Hobble Creek Canyon, Springville, Utah.

According to one TV station, the remains were found "about a five minute hike" off one of the main canyon roads.

The interesting thing? There's a winter recreation area in that canyon, including sledding hills.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

Oh wow! This looks totally possible....
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

The latest news report says it's "unlikely" it's Susan Powell, although the body IS of a 25-35 year old woman.
    The body appears to not be connected to any missing persons case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    Oh wow! This looks totally possible....
    It does. I've theorized often that he secured her to one of the sleds, and just scooted her down a hill. The article doesn't say if the "five minute hike" is upwards, or downwards.
    Last edited by laytonian; 02-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

"While it appears that Steven is close in age to Susan Powell and was driving through the Salt Lake City area within a day or two of her disappearance, any connection between the two seems entirely coincidental to us. Because we want to remain open to all possibilities, no matter how improbable, we have no issue with an exchange of information between the St. George and West Valley City police departments."

http://www.examiner.com/x-30706-Sudd...-investigators

These types of articles give more leverage for the defense.
    Last edited by RubyRed; 02-28-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: link

28. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    "While it appears that Steven is close in age to Susan Powell and was driving through the Salt Lake City area within a day or two of her disappearance, any connection between the two seems entirely coincidental to us. Because we want to remain open to all possibilities, no matter how improbable, we have no issue with an exchange of information between the St. George and West Valley City police departments."

Without "proof", the prosecution would shoot this down in a NY minute because of speculation.

Angel Who Cares has posted some great media info on the Links only thread. Please take a look. Thank you...YOU are truly an angel and Colleen Russell is right along your side. Good work ladies.
    Last edited by hollyblue; 02-28-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post

Next, Josh will be claiming that Susan ran off with Steven. (ala Drew Peterson style)

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitzi For This Useful Post:

Cool

No, but where was Steven when she disappeared? Do we know?

If he was in the SLC or Northern Utah, Nevada area, is it possible that he saw something or unintentionally helped Josh, left his name and number, and later was lured by Josh to Vegas? I am thinking of how he went out of his way to help his teenage neighbors in St. George a few days later. Is there any possibility that Steven met Josh in passing that night, with the boys and Susan in the van, helped them somehow, gave out his name and number, and was later tracked down by Josh?

Pure speculation, as I haven't followed the timelines closely enough for either case. But wouldn't several hundred miles put on a rental car take Josh to Vegas and back? Have the police released exactly how many miles? 200 or 700?

Quote Originally Posted by KaylynnCouture View Post
    Sadly, I don't think she'll ever be found, although I wish nothing more than for me to be proven wrong.

My theory is that Josh burned her, and then scattered the remains in the water, in the desert, etc...somewhere basically where it wouldn't ever turn up because it would just look like ashes.

I just pray that Susan gets justice, and that her family can get some sort of closure in this horrible case
    bbm

I was just wondering why you think she was burned?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dovebar View Post
    No, but where was Steven when she disappeared? Do we know?

If he was in the SLC or Northern Utah, Nevada area, is it possible that he saw something or unintentionally helped Josh, left his name and number, and later was lured by Josh to Vegas? I am thinking of how he went out of his way to help his teenage neighbors in St. George a few days later. Is there any possibility that Steven met Josh in passing that night, with the boys and Susan in the van, helped them somehow, gave out his name and number, and was later tracked down by Josh?

Pure speculation, as I haven't followed the timelines closely enough for either case. But wouldn't several hundred miles put on a rental car take Josh to Vegas and back? Have the police released exactly how many miles? 200 or 700?

Someone had posted on Steven's FB page, who had checked the buses running from Sacramento to Wendover. Bus left at 3 in the morning and arrived in Wendover at approx. 3 pm. This would have been around the time SK was going thru there after he left Ruby Valley. Thought it was interesting. The (SK's) timeline theory is in conflict with what the mother said in the press conference. She nor any family has never mentioned his going to the temple that week. Which I find intriguing.

IMO, Susan didn't leave her children...........I still think it was domestic abuse that lead to murder by husband.
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

It takes an extremely hot fire to burn a body to ashes. It is not easy to do outside a crematory. It would take hours and hours and a lot of fuel to do it in the desert. People would notice, I think. Also, even after a body comes out of a cremation, there are lots of big chunks of bone--especially the femur--left over. They have to be ground up. Not pretty.

I hope searchers are looking for evidence of burned bones.

Personally, I think the mines are a better bet. Ker-plunk, easy peasy.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hollyblue View Post
    Someone had posted on Steven's FB page, who had checked the buses running from Sacramento to Wendover. Bus left at 3 in the morning and arrived in Wendover at approx. 3 pm. This would have been around the time SK was going thru there after he left Ruby Valley. Thought it was interesting. The (SK's) timeline theory is in conflict with what the mother said in the press conference. She nor any family has never mentioned his going to the temple that week. Which I find intriguing.
    He was at a dinner on the 7th that he "left abruptly". Was at temple night before Ruby trip. Was in Wendover aprrox 13.5 hours later. Bus leaves at 3a arrives at 3p. Made a small purchase in SLC at approx 440p 1st candle light vigil in WVC. I find that really interesting. I present this to "Family and Friends SCP" and to "Where is SK" both sides arent interested based on "They would never leave thier families"...or they didnt know each other.

Find a connect to them going back at least a year or more?

41. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarJames For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SugarJames View Post
    He was at a dinner on the 7th that he "left abruptly". Was at temple night before Ruby trip. Was in Wendover aprrox 13.5 hours later. Bus leaves at 3a arrives at 3p. Made a small purchase in SLC at approx 440p 1st candle light vigil in WVC. I find that really interesting. I present this to "Family and Friends SCP" and to "Where is SK" both sides arent interested based on "They would never leave thier families"...or they didnt know each other.

Find a connect to them going back at least a year or more?
    I don't think it's even feasible to hope anyone in the know would come forward.

He didn't arrive back in SG until early Friday morning, per his own mother at the press conference and I would think she gained her knowledge with the help of LE. Plus the fact she worked at the bank which had all the information.

The date of him being in RV changed from the 8th to the 9th, to the 10th.

As far as the dates quoted, unless you have access to the receipts from the places he made purchases, or his bank records.....there is no way to know the precise date of them....and make a confirmation of the exact date in RV.

Maybe not a year or more, but maybe Tim? Kiirsi or John? Half truths....."she was abducted". Maybe someone in SG who had connections to LV? Maybe the connection is just Josh e pooh?....on the down low. Just throwing out ideas to you.

Here is link if you haven't read it yet for discussion of possible connection. Wasn't rec'd with the greatest seriousness, as you mentioned above, but unless they find either SK or SCP, I'm firm on it. JMO

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98870"]3/25/2010: Susan Cox Powell - Steve Koecher - Josh Powell - Connection? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
    Last edited by hollyblue; 08-23-2010 at 10:41 PM.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollyblue For This Useful Post:

There is a really nice timeline compiled by laytonian as to SK movements going back about a year untill the date he went missing, with alot of detail on the time between Dec 7th and the 14th. Some very interesting stuff If you believe that SCP is alive...and believe there is a connection.

The time line is embeded in a story JAN 20 News 8 online Las Vegas tittle "Where is Steven Koecher"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast