Susan's Boys

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
I am very concerned about Susan's little boys. Who is taking care of them? Why hasn't anyone from Susan's family tried to take custody through a guardianship? How often have they been able to speak to or see the boys?

As I have said before, I think there are grounds for a guardianship:
1. josh stated he took the toddlers out at midnight in subfreezing temps to camp outside.
2. josh said he missed work because he got confused about what day it was, even though he admits his wife took the kids to church the day he decided to camp.
3. These things, although we know they are b.s., would point to mental instability and a risk of harm to the boys if he is in charge.
4. josh continues to act erratically, moving out of the home he shared with his wife, letting it be foreclosed and failing to aid in the investigation into the disappearance of his children's mother.
5. If he killed his wife, which is pretty obvious, when he feels the net growing tighter, he may decide to cash out. Since he reportedly adores his boys but may have killed Susan to avoid being separated from them, thereby showing that his adoration is sick and has nothing to do with real love and protection, then I think he is at risk of taking those boys with him. Murder suicide is a huge risk here.

Thoughts about these precious kids?

I agree gitana, and it appears everything he and SP are doing is intended to prevent Coxes from gaining custody. Now, even WHEN JP is arrested and no longer able to parent them, it will be argued, "These boys are used to living with their paternal grandfather." :rolleyes: :furious: No doubt this is all part of the plan. I'm not falling for the taking the boys to church act either as I'm convinced that's exactly what it is--an act, to conceal JP's motive (and likely SP's agenda too) intended to promote custody by Powells rather than Coxes. Josh's actions are deplorable--and I can't believe he had the nerve to reach out to the church to help him move from their home when he's doing ZIP ZILCH NOTHING NADA to help find the mother of his two children.

I can't imagine a worse situation for these poor boys... no question their remaining parent is unfit, unstable, dangerous and a loose cannon IMO but he's NOT crazy and I'm not gonna give him "ammo" for an insanity plea by believing he doesn't know what day it is. He knew what day it was then, now and always--IT WAS THE DAY HE KILLED THEIR MOTHER and it's only twisting the knife now--adding insult to injury--for Coxes to have to seek his permission to see their grandchildren. :furious:

GET THOSE BOYS OUTA THERE!! :prayer:

:parrot:

Josh has proven to be a very unstable parent, putting his needs first.
He took the 2 little boys off on a camping trip in bad weather in the middle of the night.
He drives for hours with them in the van.
No proof of stopping, no proof of eating.
Then leaves them for a 24 hour trip with a rental car.
Takes them from UTAH to Washington state to his father's.
Children have nothing ( no home, favorite toys etc) and no mommy.
Does anyone think that these children aren't suffering at the hands of their father?
Are they getting any comfort and counseling?
Brainwashing the 5 year old???
The babies are the ones that I worry about!
What future will they have??? in the hands of this unstable man?

I wonder if Susan's family would have a chance at custody? If Josh's story about taking the boys camping is true, it sure sounds like he was putting their lives in danger for a very frivolous reason. Now, I don't happen to believe his story (imagine that :rolleyes:) but WOW! just think what could have happened to them on their little field trip! The car could have broken down, become stuck in a snow bank or they could have been faced with all sorts of dangerous scenarios. Not to mention, who the hell takes their young children out for s'mores and camping in the middle of the night??? Is that enough to remove the boys from Josh's custody?

I hope the Cox's are taking steps to ensure they can bring the children back to a safe environment if and when Susan fails to return or Josh is charged.

Praying for Susan, her boys and her family

jmo

My main concern for the children is Josh has plenty of time to set up paperwork regarding who takes custody of his children in the event that Josh gets arrested. If he has a Will, he could update the Will, or perhaps it is already in the Will who takes guardianship of the children should Susan and Josh pass away.

ETA: Removing the word OR and this shouldn't be there in this particular statement.

Susan's parents need to file for joint custody of the boys to protect Susans interest in them.

My main concern for the children is Josh has plenty of time to set up paperwork regarding who takes custody of his children in the event that Josh gets arrested. If he has a Will, he could update the Will, or perhaps it is already in the Will who takes guardianship of the children should Susan and/or Josh pass away.
BBM

I agree, Josh can do this, Drew Peterson did so with his two sons.

My main concern for the children is Josh has plenty of time to set up paperwork regarding who takes custody of his children in the event that Josh gets arrested. If he has a Will, he could update the Will, or perhaps it is already in the Will who takes guardianship of the children should Susan and/or Josh pass away.

This seems to be a common misconception. A person can NOT will custody of their children.

The wishes of the deceased, if written, may be taken under advisement in a custody hearing.

Originally Posted by Patty G
My main concern for the children is Josh has plenty of time to set up paperwork regarding who takes custody of his children in the event that Josh gets arrested.

If he has a Will, he could update the Will, or perhaps it is already in the Will who takes guardianship of the children should Susan and/or Josh pass away.

This seems to be a common misconception. A person can NOT will custody of their children.

The wishes of the deceased, if written, may be taken under advisement in a custody hearing.

I was very careful when I wrote "guardianship of the children in the Will" and stayed clear of saying "custody".

I only mentioned "custody" with regards to something Josh may or may not set up right now with regards to his children should Josh get arrested. Although I don't know what Josh can or can't do with regards to his children should he get arrested and go to jail and Susan no longer living.

ETA: I am using the word "guardianship in the lowest legal form.

I was very careful when I wrote "guardianship of the children in the Will" and stayed clear of saying "custody".

I only mentioned "custody" with regards to something Josh may or may not set up right now with regards to his children should Josh get arrested. Although I don't know what Josh can or can't do with regards to his children should he get arrested and go to jail and Susan no longer living.

So you are saying I can create a will and grant guardianship of my boys to someone other than their mother / my wife?

Thanks, I did not know this.

So you are saying I can create a will and grant guardianship of my boys to someone other than their mother / my wife?

Thanks, I did not know this.

I have no clue if you can or can't do that, and its best to get that advise from your attorney.

All that I know is a "guardian" can be written in a Will should both parents die and the children are left with no one to protect them. I am not using the word "guardianship" as legal custody of taking care of the children as "legal custody" of the children as with everything needs to go through the court system.

IMO, with regards to Josh and Susan, it appears Susan is no longer living and a good chance Josh will be arrested at some point. So now we have Susan and Josh BOTH gone and here are the children.

If they have a guardian written in the Will, then perhaps the children would go with the guardian until the court decides where the children are best fit to live. Perhaps the grandparents would fight for custody.

I had a guardian for my son when he was a child and if anything happened to me, my son went to them. He has a father (not involved) and I had a mother and brother at that time, but I refused to give them guardianship of my son. If they wanted him, they would have to take it to court.

I don't understand why Susan's parents aren't pushing for custody - at least temporary custody. Seems to me there is a basis for her parent's to begin building a case for it; yet, from what I've seen here they just don't seem to be so inclined. There are certainly enough questions that need to be answered - I mean, camping? Really?

I followed the Nancy Cooper case in Cary, NC in which the husband was recently arrested. They had two small children also and her parents were right on top of the custody issue from the get-go. I know the circumstances are different between the two cases, but...I just don't get it.:waitasec:

BBM

I agree, Josh can do this, Drew Peterson did so with his two sons.

Bold mine.

Yes, he did, and Stacy's family hasn't seen her children for a long time. Actually, Drew did this with all four of his minor children, two from Kathleen Savio, and two from Stacy.

I'd imagine that Susan's parents cannot go into court asking for joint custody on the grounds of 'suspicion' that Josh killed the boys' mother. Perhaps the Coxes have everything ready to go for WHEN Josh is labeled a suspect or even arrested for Susan's murder (I certainly hope so). Unfortunately, my biggest fear is the same as some of my fellow posters -- that Josh will kill himself and take the boys with him. Do we have any guardian ad litems or family attorneys here who can share what the Coxes' options might be?

I have not been following this case closely, it's a lot of reading to catch up.

Can someone help me out and tell me if the 4 yr old has been interviewed and what we have heard about that? Does he say he went out with Daddy that night and where was Mommy at the time?

I remember reading somewhere that at one point the little one said something to the effect that "Mommy is in the woods". Anyone ?????

I have not been following this case closely, it's a lot of reading to catch up.

Can someone help me out and tell me if the 4 yr old has been interviewed and what we have heard about that? Does he say he went out with Daddy that night and where was Mommy at the time?

As far as we know, the 4 year old has not been interviewed. Not sure any 4 year old statements could be of legal value. And now, as time has passed, the child's statements would be questionable. Regarding the middle of the night trip - I believe the kids were mostly asleep and have little idea what really happened.

I remember reading somewhere that at one point the little one said something to the effect that "Mommy is in the woods". Anyone ?????

This is a rumor that has been floating around.

As far as we know, the 4 year old has not been interviewed. Not sure any 4 year old statements could be of legal value. And now, as time has passed, the child's statements would be questionable. Regarding the middle of the night trip - I believe the kids were mostly asleep and have little idea what really happened.

This is a rumor that has been floating around.

Not sure of each state law, but absolutely sure a 4 yr old's statement can be used in a court proceeding where I am from. Kid's statements are used all the time. And it is not just for legal value, it is about gathering more information and doing an investigation, including a child protection determination.
This kid should have interviewed immediately by a trained social worker with the police present. Unless there are cognitive or developmental deficits, this is not too young at all.
What an absolute shame if this wasn't done. Kids aren't always sleeping when you think they are :(

My main concern for the children is Josh has plenty of time to set up paperwork regarding who takes custody of his children in the event that Josh gets arrested. If he has a Will, he could update the Will, or perhaps it is already in the Will who takes guardianship of the children should Susan and Josh pass away.

ETA: Removing the word OR and this shouldn't be there in this particular statement.

I saw a sad case yesterday on 48 hours about a murdered woman and the child was finally granted to stay with her parents after it was retrieved from thefather who kidnapped her and fled to Italy. The husband (the man who killed their daughter in Italy) contacted his brother in AZ and asked him to file for custody of his daughter. This took place right before final custody was to be granted to the deceased woman's parents. In spite of several psychologist's recommendations that the childs best interests would be served with the maternal grandparents, the murderer's brother in AZ was granted custody. The parents were shocked and stunned, to say the least. I'm convinced a payout played a large part in this decision.

The document is called a guardianship ad litem, I believe? I would imagine that the Cox's have/are consulting with an attorney as to their options as far as custody goes; if not, then at least guaranteed visitations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back