Funeral Home Includes Mom's Brain in Bag of Personal Effects

Mistake? No matter if they win a lawsuit or not I mean come on.Can't even fathom this.

This is outrageous. I feel sick for the family, absolutely sick.

My boyfriend (not the one I have now, but my long-time BF before this one) was killed unexpectedly in Feb. '06, and then a year later my father died unexpectedly right in front of my eyes.

I am still not 'over' these deaths- the pain and shock cut so deep.

I can't even imagine what the loved one finding her brain- the curiousity as to what it is, turning to the horror of realizing what it is- would be absolutely devastating.

Mistake? No matter if they win a lawsuit or not I mean come on.Can't even fathom this.
As usual, I agree with Filly.

I hope this family receives a huge settlement, but even that would not erase the devastation.

So typical that neither one of the funeral homes will admit fault, each blaming the other. No decency or compassion.

Smart Blonde I am so very sorry for your pain. I'm very sorry.My dad died right in front of us on Christmas morning several years ago. Bad enough on us, but very tough on my DD who was only 10 at the time. Just so suddenly and he was fairly young.Getting his clothes and boots and all back from the hospital was bad enough. I couldn't even begin to imagine the horror for these people.Again, I am so sorry for your suffering.

Thank you, Filly. That means alot.

I am very sorry for your pain, too. We both know how traumatic it is to lose our dad's- especially right before our eyes. That sense of helpless panic, and all the other feelings, is indescribable, isn't it?

You lost him on Christmas morning? And, in front of your little girl? I can't even imagine.

You and I may have had different fathers, but now I know, we share the same heart.
:blowkiss:

I agree that this is outrageous and I feel for this family. I can't even imagine going through this.

My dad and I worked together when he passed away in a motorcycle accident on the way to work. My mom was so upset she asked me that afternoon to go to the coroner's office to pick up his personal items. As they emptied the bag in front of me I saw his cell phone all scratched up, his watch in many pieces, my truck keys (I always seemed to lose my set), and many other of his day to day items. It broke my heart all over again and can't imagine how this family reacted! It wasn't a personal item, it was a part of their mom. Someone needs to pay for this "mistake".

this is horrible! I can't imagine this family's pain- I agree, someone has to pay or at least fess up and explain how something like this could happen.

side note, I didn't realize the brain was removed during (routine) autopsy. Unless tests are called for, such as the case with MJ. And from what i've read it is difficult to handle and must be prepared for testing... Sorry! sorry! I will stop now.

smartblonde, my friend and filly and miss u, I am so sorry to hear your father's have passed and what you experienced. thank you for sharing though. <3

I wonder if it truly was a mistake or if one of the woman's relatives ticked off an employee or owner of one of the funeral homes?

However and wherever it happened, it's truly an outrage, and someone needs to lose their license to operate a funeral home.

I can only imagine. It was bad enough seeing the things that were given back to us after my stepdad died.
I sobbed for hours after finding one of his arm hairs caught in his watch band. I can't imagine if the funeral home had given us a literal part of him.

Dumb question, they know they got a brain, how are they sure it was hers? If the home was incompetent enough to send their mother's brain, it seems they would be incompetent enough to send a random brain.

Wonder how many times something like this happens, but they don't give the part to the family?

I don't know what would be better. Them returning it. Or them just getting rid of it.

Besides the emotional toll on this family, if the body was all ready buried, would they want to put it with the body? And who is going to pay for that? IF the body was cremated, the cost might be the same as a full cremation.

I got a feeling that when mistakes like this happen, the family isn't notified, just because of the cost involved in correcting the mistake. And the possible lawsuit. Not to mention bad PR.

There will be a lot of investigating on this.Was the autopsy done at the hospital? Maybe the Medical Examiner is responsible.I worked with a Funeral Director,often talked about autopsies etc..The brain is a major part of an autopsy .Top of head is removed and brain taken out.After the exam,all parts of the body are placed in a plastic bag and placed inside the abdomen of the person.If the M.E. recieved the body,removed clothing etc.this is also returned with other belongings.If the bag containing brain was accidently placed with belongings,I guess it could happen.If anyone has Disovery channel Doctor G. has a great program on autopsies.She does not make it gruesome either but quite informative.Take care.

There will be a lot of investigating on this.Was the autopsy done at the hospital? Maybe the Medical Examiner is responsible.I worked with a Funeral Director,often talked about autopsies etc..The brain is a major part of an autopsy .Top of head is removed and brain taken out.After the exam,all parts of the body are placed in a plastic bag and placed inside the abdomen of the person.If the M.E. recieved the body,removed clothing etc.this is also returned with other belongings.If the bag containing brain was accidently placed with belongings,I guess it could happen.If anyone has Disovery channel Doctor G. has a great program on autopsies.She does not make it gruesome either but quite informative.Take care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back