1073 users online (231 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show

PASADENA, Calif NBC decided to end the Jay Leno experiment when some of its affiliates started talking about dropping the nightly prime-time show, its top entertainment executive said Sunday.

NBC Universal Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin said Sunday that Leno's nightly prime-time show will end with the beginning of the Winter Olympics on Feb. 12. NBC wants Leno to do an 11:35 p.m. show each night, a return to his old time slot, Gaspin said.

Gaspin has proposed moving Conan O'Brien's "Tonight" show to 12:05 a.m., and Jimmy Fallon's show would start an hour later. But the late-night hosts had not agreed to the move. Gaspin said he expected NBC's late-night situation to be cleared up by the start of the Olympics.

More details at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100110/...tv/us_nbc_leno

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

They better not move Conan! Ahhhhh!

I always found Conan OBrien funnier.

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Thank Goodness on ending Leno's show at 10!
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

nbc waited way too long for this move.
    the ratings have tanked since week 2...........
    are conan's ratings not good? if his ratings are fine i cant see why he should give up his spot. it's not his fault leno nearly killed nbc.

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    nbc waited way too long for this move.
    the ratings have tanked since week 2...........
    are conan's ratings not good? if his ratings are fine i cant see why he should give up his spot. it's not his fault leno nearly killed nbc.
    No, Letterman has been beating him, and I thought I heard Nightline did, too, but not sure on that. Conan's audience has been younger, though, than either. But total audience has dropped quite a bit, I've heard several times.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I've been waiting for Conan to finally move to the earlier spot and now this. But I must admit, Conan lost his edge moving to CA. New York humor is so much more appropriate for late night TV.

It would not surprise me if Conan moved networks....it is not his fault Leno's show failed and hurt the network. I like both of them....

Business is business...I think this is a heck of a lot worse than when the network was deciding between Leno/Letterman for the replacement of Carson.

I hope Conan jumps ship...

Quote Originally Posted by p7byrd View Post
    I always found Conan OBrien funnier.
    OH so did I. I felt Leno came on too early in my area and was rather stale at times. I don't know what Conan's ratings are. He is pretty funny as are his gags.

I always felt Leno's show was not going to last that long. Sort of filler TV, but isn't most of it now!:!

Gozgals

I miss Conan's old show. I'm not sure if it's new writers or if NBC gave him a list of things he can and can't do. Hope it doesn't hurt his career. I love Conan.

I feel bad for Leno.

I've been mad at NBC ever since they cancelled Medium and Southland because they were deemed 10pm shows and Leno took up those spots. I'm happy other networks had enough sense to pick these shows up.

And I thought Leno was retiring? IDK, reminds me of how many times Michael Jordan claimed to be retiring then would come out of retirement.

from what i understand, leno's ratings weren't abysmal - they weren't high, but because the show cost so little to produce, it wasn't problematic to NBC. what was problematic was the affiliates threatening to drop the show because they were losing viewers to their late-night news.

the tonight show ratings are way down with conan.

i prefer leno and would love to see him go back to the 11:35 slot, but as much as i dislike conan, i do feel bad for him.

I prefer Conan AND Jimmy to Jay. I'll admit, at first, I didn't care for Jimmy's show. But I think that was only because I missed Conan while he was off air. Late Night w/ Jimmy definitely grew on me, quickly. I've always liked Fallon, since his days at my beloved SNL. I always enjoyed watching him and Horatio Sans trying (and failing) to keep straight faces in just about every skit they did together! I also loved the chemistry between him and Tina Fey on Weekend Update. Mostly, I LOVE Late Night's band, The Roots, an amazing talent all around. Plus, musical guests sit in with The Roots. I love this show.

I've always liked Conan and was very pleased when Andy Richter re-joined him in his new Tonight Show slot. I rarely miss a show! His wit and sense of humor are always on point, IMO. And I watch my NBC affiliate's News prior to both shows. I watch NBC more than any channel. I do not watch Jay and make it a point to change the channel when his show comes on since the first day it aired last fall. It's nothing against Jay, really. He's nice enough, I suppose, I just find his humor bland for my taste and his refusal to pass the baton a little childish.

I do know that most of my older relatives don't like Conan in place of Jay. I heard all about their distaste for Conan over the holidays, much to my dismay. I think this is what is hurting the NBC affiliate's News viewership. A good portion of the people watching the news at that time of night are retirees and people that watched the inception of The Tonight Show with Allen, Paar and later, The King of Late Night, Mr. Johnny Carson. Can't really blame them, all were comedic pioneers and Carson's prodigy, Leno, had them at "Hello!", IMO.

It's unfortunate if NBC loses Conan because I will have to channel surf to watch him and because I worry that the theme song for Conan's show may get lost in the shuffle. A very dear friend of mine composed it and I love it. Anyway, I wanted to comment about my thoughts on this irritating turn of events and figured, what better place to look for a place to post than WS?

On a side note...nothing against Carson Daly, but I couldn't give a hoot if his show gets cancelled and would actually be happier with the late night line-up without it. But, Poker After Dark has to stay!
    Last edited by Tizzle; 01-11-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
    ~MLK, Jr.

Thumbs up

Leno's a winner no matter what time he's on!!! I got to see him more at 10:00, but I'll still be faithful when I can. Conan O'Brien just isn't funny, and NBC should never have yanked Jay to give him the 11:30 slot to begin with!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I love Jimmy Fallon...but not as a late night host. I think he is great. But his show...not so much. I say keep Conan where he is, and give Jimmy's spot to Leno. Or Leno could just freakin' retire and get it over with. CONAN DESERVES THE TONIGHT SHOW.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast