GUILTY OR - Alexis Pounder, 3, starved & beaten to death, Sandy, 9 Jan 2010

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
Mugshots at the below link. It's creepy how pleased dad looks. RIP sweet baby. Chatter is whatever happened prompted crisis/trauma counselors to resond to the scene.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/81113782.html

A couple was arrested Sunday on murder charges after a 3-year-old was found dead the day before at a home in rural Sandy.
Donald L. Cockrell, 27, and Michelle Nicole Smith, 24, face murder charges and are scheduled to be arraigned Monday in connection with the death of the child, who police have not named.
The arrests come after officers responded to a home in the 22000 block of Southeast Cottontail Lane and discovered a 3-year-old dead inside.
Details about what happened to the child have not been released due to the ongoing investigation but major crime scene units were at the scene once the body was found.

More at link.

Mugshots at the below link. It's creepy how pleased dad looks. RIP sweet baby. Chatter is whatever happened prompted crisis/trauma counselors to resond to the scene.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/81113782.html

A couple was arrested Sunday on murder charges after a 3-year-old was found dead the day before at a home in rural Sandy.
Donald L. Cockrell, 27, and Michelle Nicole Smith, 24, face murder charges and are scheduled to be arraigned Monday in connection with the death of the child, who police have not named.
The arrests come after officers responded to a home in the 22000 block of Southeast Cottontail Lane and discovered a 3-year-old dead inside.
Details about what happened to the child have not been released due to the ongoing investigation but major crime scene units were at the scene once the body was found.

More at link.

From the article you linked to which has been updated.

Results of an autopsy, released Monday morning, tell the tale of physical and nutritional child abuse that led to the death of a 3 year old there Saturday

According to the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, the child was living at the home with Cockrell, the biological father. Smith is Cockrell's fiance.

Several people live in the home, including Smith's parents, who live apart from their daughter on a separate level of the house. Smith and Cockrell live in another portion of the home with five children - two of whom are Cockrell's biological children (which includes the one found dead) and three of whom are Smith's children.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/arrest_made_in_muder_of_3_year.html

Authorities say 3-year-old Sandy girl died from physical and nutritional abuse

"A Sandy man and his fiancee were arrested Sunday evening and accused of murder in connection with the Saturday death of the man's 3-year-old child, the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office reported.

The girl, Alexis Marie Pounder, died of physical and nutritional child abuse, according to the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office."

Another little one, starved to death. In many ways, I think that's the cruelest abuse. Rest in peace sweet Alexis. You won't be hungry any more. I hear there are cream puffs and tangerines where you are.

I am rarely shocked or frightened by mug shots. I have to say that I had a visceral reaction to Donald Cockrell's photo. His eyes make my blood run cold. Is it just me?

Cold, dead eyes, both of them:furious:
Another waste of a future, how can this happen?
Didn't the family see what was happening?
I am beginning to despair of humanity, I really am:banghead::furious:

I am rarely shocked or frightened by mug shots. I have to say that I had a visceral reaction to Donald Cockrell's photo. His eyes make my blood run cold. Is it just me?

Zombies. Very scary. Porch light is on but no one is home...also looks like there might be a wee drug problem to boot...

That dude is SKEEER-REEEE! Yikes!!

Bless those kids who have to live w/ that evil monster, and prayers for little Sandy that she's safe in the arms of angels.

Come to think of it, prayers for all the defenseless children who are living w/ monsters right now that may angels rescue them.

What a beautiful little princess she was. I hope they also charge the other adults living in the household! there is no way that they lived in the same home and didnt know what was happening. RIP Alexis.

I agree Texas Mist--DC's eyes look far more than empty or vacant to me. They look evil and malevolent!! Can you imagine being a tiny girl and looking into those?

The town's name is Sandy and is in Clackamas County, not far from Portland. The little angel is Alexis, known as Lexi. Thank goodness the other four were whisked away by DHS. DHS is missing some calls recently. This is our second child starved and abused to death in less than a month. Remember sweet Jeanette Maples from Eugene? Many many calls and reports went unanswered and she was finally murdered. When they found her, she only weighed 50 lbs. at 15 years of age. This is just tragic.

the monster in the mug shots scare me. Sometimes, even when men aren't hardened they have...different...harder eyes...but a mothers eyes...well. since she's not mother, guess that's why she doesn't have a mothers love and hurt in her eyes...but that is utterly terrifying to me :(

I agree Texas Mist--DC's eyes look far more than empty or vacant to me. They look evil and malevolent!! Can you imagine being a tiny girl and looking into those?

The town's name is Sandy and is in Clackamas County, not far from Portland. The little angel is Alexis, known as Lexi. Thank goodness the other four were whisked away by DHS. DHS is missing some calls recently. This is our second child starved and abused to death in less than a month. Remember sweet Jeanette Maples from Eugene? Many many calls and reports went unanswered and she was finally murdered. When they found her, she only weighed 50 lbs. at 15 years of age. This is just tragic.

I think they both have emotionless dead pool eyes. I cant imagine the fear this little child had having to look into this man and woman's eyes and feeling nothing but terror.

imo

Even the profile pic of him on FB is just scary. As is the fact that he uploaded adorable pictures of this little girl just four days ago.

What I find even worse is that there were many family members living in this house with them! This child died in the presence of a lot of people who could have seen something and saved her. Even if the dad (and his fiancee) is a methface, ignorant abuser, what about the older adults in the home?

Boggles the mind.

MomofBoys--I think you are so right. Until we start prosecuting those who sit by and watch a child tortured, starved or beaten, it's going to keep happening. I want to scream, "What were you thinking?" I guess they weren't. To my mind they are just as guilty as the person who beat or withheld the food. In some ways, it bothers me even more because they couldn't have had the fury or the anger that the abuser did. They just idly watched.

so............ when do we get to read the first 'DCFS/CPS investigated home numerous times, found nothing wrong.' article? cause im sure one is coming soon.
was the fiance the little girls mom? if not where is the real mom?

I'm watching for that article too, kbl, trust me. It infuriates me that LE won't allow the results of Jeanette Maples' autopsy to be made public. I realize that it could taint a jury pool but Oregon has other venues, if necessary. My concern is that they are under some pressure from DHS to wait. We don't want to get the public too up in arms about their lack of response and action.

Purely a personal rant here, folks. You know I'm dedicated to kids. I love them. However, when we're talking about systemic change it always comes back to money.

So, this is purely conjecture as I have no personal knowledge of this case or these children. But think about the simple financial cost to taxpayers of this debacle (of every debacle). These children were almost certainly all exposed to drugs in utero. They've also certainly been exposed to severe trauma as their sister was murdered.

These kids are going to require specialized foster care, special education, Children's Advocacy Center services, Victim Witness funding, and on and on and on. If they are fortunate enough to be placed in adoptive homes, their adoption assistance payments will continue through their 18th birthday.

I would fight tooth and nail for each of these children to receive their entitlement. They didn't ask to be born into a morass and we, as a society, have a responsibility to them. But this is just damage control and mop-up and not pro-active in the least!!

Just as Amanda reminded us above, many many of these little ones are released from hospitals with these parents. Think back on just the last month or two of tragic cases. I don't think any of us believe that there weren't danger signs for the couple who took home the baby who ended up with 22 broken bones. Some social worker sat with that couple and counseled them, I'll bet. He/she handed them some parenting brochures and went on their way. That wicked couple left that hospital and almost immediately started abusing that baby. My guess is that little Lexi has been abused,neglected, starved, and
tortured her entire life. She NEVER had the peace and serenity and comfort that we give our children. Because she lacked that security, you can be almost certain that had she lived, she would have repeated the cycle herself, due to lower cognitive skills and low self esteem and lack of familial support.

We're not going about this in a way that has sustainable and positive outcomes. And babies and children are just going to keep being murdered.

Purely a personal rant here, folks. You know I'm dedicated to kids. I love them. However, when we're talking about systemic change it always comes back to money.

So, this is purely conjecture as I have no personal knowledge of this case or these children. But think about the simple financial cost to taxpayers of this debacle (of every debacle). These children were almost certainly all exposed to drugs in utero. They've also certainly been exposed to severe trauma as their sister was murdered.

These kids are going to require specialized foster care, special education, Children's Advocacy Center services, Victim Witness funding, and on and on and on. If they are fortunate enough to be placed in adoptive homes, their adoption assistance payments will continue through their 18th birthday.

I would fight tooth and nail for each of these children to receive their entitlement. They didn't ask to be born into a morass and we, as a society, have a responsibility to them. But this is just damage control and mop-up and not pro-active in the least!!

Just as Amanda reminded us above, many many of these little ones are released from hospitals with these parents. Think back on just the last month or two of tragic cases. I don't think any of us believe that there weren't danger signs for the couple who took home the baby who ended up with 22 broken bones. Some social worker sat with that couple and counseled them, I'll bet. He/she handed them some parenting brochures and went on their way. That wicked couple left that hospital and almost immediately started abusing that baby. My guess is that little Lexi has been abused,neglected, starved, and
tortured her entire life. She NEVER had the peace and serenity and comfort that we give our children. Because she lacked that security, you can be almost certain that had she lived, she would have repeated the cycle herself, due to lower cognitive skills and low self esteem and lack of familial support.

We're not going about this in a way that has sustainable and positive outcomes. And babies and children are just going to keep being murdered.

ok reading the full article it says that dhs refused to comment on whether they had any dealilng with these sub-humans.
to me that says 'we're doing an internal investigation to cover our rear ends'.
why do we pay state and federal taxes anyways? to line the president, senator's and congressmen's pockets? cause tax payer money surely isnt being used to change a corrupt and incompetent legal system that repeatedly lets victims like this little girl down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back