6 year old girl's death ruled suicide

How terribly tragic. 6 yrs old. That is almost too hard to fathom. And to think it could have been because she was teased.
My niece is turning 6 and starting school and I worry about her because she is overweight thanks to her parents who feed her McDonalds morning and night. She has been pretty isolated from other kids her age and I fear once she gets into school she is going to be made fun of for her weight and because she is so shy. I remember when I was in elementary school sadly the kids who were overweight were often made fun of and ostracized. I can't imagine how it is today with kids developing a self awareness at younger and younger ages.

What a SHAME. Rest in Peace Samantha.

God Bless her 3 sisters and watch over them and this family.

Easy for me to quarterback, but I would bet accidental death is closer to the truth than suicide. I mean, yes she perhaps killed herself, but I refuse to believe that a 6 year old has the capacity to understand that her actions were going to cause death...have you ever tried to talk to a child of that age on what death is???

I am with the people making comments that an unattended autistic child hanging herself is definitely cause for checking and rechecking what happened here....JMO

Editor’s Note: The original story incorrectly identified Samantha as being autistic with physical disabilities. It reported on a 2008 incident at the Kuberski home that allegedly involved Samantha. That report was based on the reporter/editor team’s reading of public documents plus statements from neighbors. However, after publication on Saturday, authorities reported that the disabled girl involved in that 2008 incident was one of Samantha’s sisters. That portion of the story has been deleted at the request of the Kuberski family, but reader comments referring to it remain in place below.

http://www.newsregister.com/article/42857-child039s+death+labeled+suicide

My God.
I have to go with what Believe said, maybe she did intend to hang herself, but it was likely in the way that kids that age pack their bags and "run away".
I don't believe that at 6 she could understand the permanency of her actions.

I hope her family moves forward as well as they can. Losing a child is hard enough, but losing one this way is almost unthinkable.

Easy for me to quarterback, but I would bet accidental death is closer to the truth than suicide. I mean, yes she perhaps killed herself, but I refuse to believe that a 6 year old has the capacity to understand that her actions were going to cause death...have you ever tried to talk to a child of that age on what death is???

I am with the people making comments that an unattended autistic child hanging herself is definitely cause for checking and rechecking what happened here....JMO

I agree, believe. I think it's even more sensationalist than usual for the media to call this a suicide.

Whatever you call it, I hope this child has some peace....clearly her family isn't going to have any for a long long time.

no words.
Just SORROW

14.gif

How incredibly sad. My heart breaks for this child and her family. How can life be so bad at 6? I'd say I wonder how the parents didn't see signs of depression, however, I can say I know I had some form of depression as a child and hid it well. While I was always smiling on the surface, I didn't feel that way inside.

Prayers for the family. May this child rest in peace.

Tragic coincidence, I guess ....I googled the little girl's name to find other info. On Dreamin Demons, it says this child's mother was listed as aunt to the baby in this horrible incident back in Feb 2008:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60364&highlight=benjamin+sargent

I haven't looked up the original obituary yet, but a supposed copy is posted at DD by roxeegirl one month ago.

What do you make of this? Sleuths, get to work!

How does a 6 year old know how to hang herself?

Saw it in a movie, looked it up online...who knows. Where there's a will theres a way.

God,I wish she was still here and I could tell this little girl that it gets better. You aren't as alone as you think. You are beautiful, and you have a purpose in this life, even if you can't see it yet.

Cubby- I hear ya! And I've been there too. The signs of depression are easy to hide and easy to overlook by busy parents.

Wow, suicide at 6 years old? I wonder how they came to that conclusion? I would bet anything this was accidental and not suicide. I feel strongly about that because a close friend of mine had a 9 year old daughter have the same exact thing happen by accident and she survived (barely). The kids were all playing trampeze games with belts on a bunkbed and her daughter, briefly left alone by her siblings for only a matter of minutes, slipped (she'd had her feet in another set of belts) and hung herself. Her teenage brother, babysitting, found her unresponsive and did CPR until the paramedics arrived. Unfortunately the child now has brain damage and will never be 100% the way she was prior to the accident. It was an enormous tragedy for my friend and her family and the son is in counseling because of the trauma it did to him psychologically.

I mean seriously...a 6 year old? And the neighbors report that the child was outgoing, funny and happy...I think, tragically...this was accidental. My prayers and thoughts to that entire family. :(

This is so unbelievably shocking and sad. IMO, to be that young and suicidal, something has to be going on mentally (depression, bi-polar, etc.). JMO.

I pray this child has found peace.

I read this sad story earlier today & have had the tab open ever since....I couldn't stop thinking about what a 6yo could be thinking to intentionally end their life.

I want to believe it was an accident or maybe she'd seen someone playing "the choking game".

Either way it's tragic. :(

RIP little Samantha.

Tragic coincidence, I guess ....I googled the little girl's name to find other info. On Dreamin Demons, it says this child's mother was listed as aunt to the baby in this horrible incident back in Feb 2008:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60364&highlight=benjamin+sargent

I haven't looked up the original obituary yet, but a supposed copy is posted at DD by roxeegirl one month ago.

What do you make of this? Sleuths, get to work!

Wait, wait, wait-hold up. Noz, are you serious???

Do you remember this case guys? Benjamin's??? Baby was left to die in his snowsuit and car seat in his crib. Mom and Dad were in a stand-off on who was going to take care of this angel who suffered HORRIBLY from burns (the dirty diaper) and dehydration prior to his death. IIRC his grandmother dropped him off after caring for him for a while and dad dumped him in his crib.

I wonder if the media is aware of the link???????

By Journal Star staff
Journal Star
Posted Feb 16, 2008 @ 11:09 AM
Last update Apr 27, 2009 @ 11:09 AM
PEORIA —
Benjamin Allen Reeve Sargent, 5 months, of Peoria passed away Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2008, at his residence in Peoria.
Benjamin was born Aug. 27, 2007, to James E. Sargent and Tracy Del Hermann of Peoria.
Benjamin is survived by his loving parents; a sister, Natalie-Grace Hermann of Peoria; grandparents, Thomas Eugene (Rosemary Irene) Sargent of Marquette Heights, Ill., and Wendell Allen (Connie Lou) Bohna of Topeka, Ill.; great-grandparents, James Murrell of Washington, Ill., Del (Marian) Bruderer of Tremont, Utah, and Cozette Bohna of Beaverton, Ore.; uncles, John Oliver Bohna of Topeka, Ill., and Joseph Conrad Bohna of Peoria; aunts, Kellie Christine Kuberski of McMinnville, Ore., Jennie Rose Eilene Bohna of Topeka, Ill., and Julie Ann Bohna of Topeka, Ill.; and great-aunts, Brenda Murrell of Washington, Ill., Ruth Damm of Washington, Ill., and Linda (Dr. Daniel) Hoffman of Mount Vernon, Ill.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, 2008, at Davison-Fulton Woodland Chapel in Peoria, with Pastor Rod Willy presiding. Visitation will be one hour prior to services on Monday. Interment will be in Parkview Cemetery in Peoria.
Memorials may be made to the family.
Online tributes and condolences may be made at www.mem.com.

This sounds like they may be looking deeper into this case.

Do we know what the 2008 incident involving Sam's autistic sister involved? Says it was based on public records but I am coming up empty at the moment.

http://www.newsregister.com/article/42857-child039s+death+labeled+suicide

District Attorney Brad Berry said he has reviewed case reports and requested additional information before making a charging decision.

Editor’s Note: The original story incorrectly identified Samantha as being autistic with physical disabilities. It reported on a 2008 incident at the Kuberski home that allegedly involved Samantha. That report was based on the reporter/editor team’s reading of public documents plus statements from neighbors. However, after publication on Saturday, authorities reported that the disabled girl involved in that 2008 incident was one of Samantha’s sisters. That portion of the story has been deleted at the request of the Kuberski family, but reader comments referring to it remain in place below. The News-Register regrets the error, and apologizes to the Kuberski family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back