[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92568"]#1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92777"]#2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92904"]#3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93025"]#4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93417"]#5[/ame]

Ima

Brought over from the last thread:

Today, 03:48 AM
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/member.php?u=237"]GrandmaTo4[/COLO"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ
Well I think searches should be done to actually try to find people and not just make family and friends feel better. ETA:And did I miss something? Is Susan's family asking for searches?

(bbm) Why do you feel it's necessary for Susan's family to ASK for a search in order for ward members to initiate a search?

We all know Joshua Powell's ward members came to HIS aid.

Was not Susan Powell also a member in good standing of the Mormon Church?

Would the present situation be just a wee bit different if MALE Josh was missing and Susan was the uncooperative, no-verified-alibi FEMALE who was asking for unconditional moving help? :waitasec:

moo

I feel the reason the family is not searching is probably the same reason LE, the Ward, co-workers aren't searching. IMO, the family and LE has info that says a search isn't possible. What other reason could there be for a loving dad to go back home two states away and not search? The rest are following suit. Someone brought up Ed Smart. Him and his brother have organized and participated in other searches. Why not this one?

Yes, 20 people came to Josh's aid. There are several hundred in that ward who didn't. I don't see this as a religion thing. I'd say that's probably the same percentage in any case like this one where religion is not involved. There will always be people who don't want to see the obvious. There will always be people who don't want to know. There will always be people who don't want the burden of judging anyone and leave that up to God (if you are religious) and the justice system (for those not religious).

IMO, if the situation was reversed, Susan would have more backers and more people helping her. The public has a hard time believing women are capable of horrible crimes, especially crimes against their own children. And when these women are found guilty, the public still has a hard time handing down a death sentence.

It is NEVER a waste of time to search for a missing person. NEVER.

I have lost respect for the friends and family in Utah who have not initiated this. I have lost respect for the ward/church/neighbors as well.

I may be wrong.

I would search even if it produced nothing.

SUSAN had value in this world.

FIND HER.

It is NEVER a waste of time to search for a missing person. NEVER.

I have lost respect for the friends and family in Utah who have not initiated this. I have lost respect for the ward/church/neighbors as well.

I may be wrong.

I would search even if it produced nothing.

SUSAN had value in this world.

FIND HER.

How does protecting the safety of the public, evidence and the integrity of a case equate to Susan not having value? There are people here all the time that get themselves into a situation where their bodies are not recoverable for months if ever. How about the snowboarders bodies that stayed in the Provo mountains till July when the snow melted? How about that guy that just got trapped in the Nutty Putty cave and who's body is now sealed there forever? Their families had to except the hard facts. Would you lose respect for them too?

How does protecting the safety of the public, evidence and the integrity of a case equate to Susan not having value? There are people here all the time that get themselves into a situation where their bodies are not recoverable for months if ever. How about the snowboarders bodies that stayed in the Provo mountains till July when the snow melted? How about that guy that just got trapped in the Nutty Putty cave and who's body is now sealed there forever? Their families had to except the hard facts. Would you lose respect for them too?

I don't think these are equal comparisons.
The snowboarders as well as the spelunker voluntarily and of their own choice (of course NOT deliberately) were in potentially risky/dangerous situations. And, although it was very sad, their family members either knew or had a good idea of where the bodies were located.
They were not victims (or potentially victims) of a terrible crime.
I think there probably is a reason LE isn't searching...but I have no idea what it is. It's really bizarre.
What follows is just my opinion. I could be totally wrong, but...
I keep going back to Ed Smart. I think if there was a good reason to search, he'd be first in line helping with organizing/encouraging searches. He's not. I trust his judgment...so I wait and wonder.

I have read posts that discuss the possibility of Susan having been "kidnapped" and taken somewhere for "deprogramming." I don't think that this is a popular theory, but if LE, family, close friends, etc. aren't searching for her, they must have some information that she is alive somewhere and being held against her will. I know that the first interview I saw of Kiirsi, she said she didn't have much hope that Susan was still alive. Then her blog stated she thought she was taken out of the state. I'm not a Kiirsi hater, and I believe that something must have happened to lead her to believe this new information. While I believe that Josh was involved to some degree (and probably his dad too), is it possible that someone is threatening her, holding her hostage, or something to that effect. Obviously, none of us know, but I'm trying to figure out that LE and family are really thinking. Any ideas, opinions, theories about anything to this effect?

I still wish we could learn more about SP...he is a mystery.

Dear Posters:

Please keep this thread on-topic.

The thread is about Susan.

You may discuss religion only as it directly relates to Susan's disappearance.

The last thread got waaaaaaaay off-topic discussing various aspects of the LDS church, aspects that had nothing to do with Susan's disappearance.

You are welcome to have that discussion, BUT please start a thread in the Jury Room and have that discussion there.

Thanks,

Hoppy
mod

I have read posts that discuss the possibility of Susan having been "kidnapped" and taken somewhere for "deprogramming." I don't think that this is a popular theory, but if LE, family, close friends, etc. aren't searching for her, they must have some information that she is alive somewhere and being held against her will. I know that the first interview I saw of Kiirsi, she said she didn't have much hope that Susan was still alive. Then her blog stated she thought she was taken out of the state. I'm not a Kiirsi hater, and I believe that something must have happened to lead her to believe this new information. While I believe that Josh was involved to some degree (and probably his dad too), is it possible that someone is threatening her, holding her hostage, or something to that effect. Obviously, none of us know, but I'm trying to figure out that LE and family are really thinking. Any ideas, opinions, theories about anything to this effect?

I have not heard this theory before. Interesting.

I also thought it was interesting that when Josh brother-in-law (I believe) came out a bit ago saying that it wouldn't surprise him if Josh was arrested within a week, LE made a statement to the effect of "I don't know why he would make such a statement, or what information he has"...almost denying that's the track they're on. Perhaps this was LE's way of staying aloof, and not tipping their hand, but I still thought it was odd.

One thing I will say about the deprogramming theory is that I have never heard of anyone deprogramming a mormon. Maybe a fundamental mormon, whose members live somewhat isolated, polygamist lives....but not LDS.

I don't think these are equal comparisons.
The snowboarders as well as the spelunker voluntarily and of their own choice (of course NOT deliberately) were in potentially risky/dangerous situations. And, although it was very sad, their family members either knew or had a good idea of where the bodies were located.
They were not victims (or potentially victims) of a terrible crime.
I think there probably is a reason LE isn't searching...but I have no idea what it is. It's really bizarre.
I keep going back to Ed Smart. I think if there was a good reason to search, he'd be first in line helping with organizing/encouraging searches. He's not. I trust his judgment...so I wait and wonder.

IMO, these situations are comparable if you are talking about having to make a practical and safe decision vs an emotional one in recovering a body. I think it's really unfair to equate that to a victim not having value, accuse people of not caring, or twisting that to mean they support Josh.

We don't know why there are no searches by the ones closest to Susan. I do know that Utah does search for people extensively and recover bodies if it's possible.

Getting back to Josh's work, it find it interesting that one of Josh's earlier suppporters,
Wayne Hamberg, had this to say about his work:

"Josh is a very talented computer engineer but felt he was underappreciated at work."
And when asked why Josh didn't show up to work on Monday, Hamberg replied, "To do a 'blue flu' and miss a day wouldn't suprise me."

http://www.examiner.com/x-22460-Sea...-out-while-wife-Susan-Powell-is-still-missing

Has anyone used the term "blue flu" before. This is new to me. The article suggests that according to Websters, blue flu is a sick-out staged by police. I think the friend was referring to the fact that Josh was unhappy at work and would occasionally call in sick just to avoid it. If so, this could explain why the company fired him so quickly. That, and the fact that, let's face it, he never even bothered to call in that morning!

I think one of the reasons there are no searches going on is because Josh's good friend Kiirsi put out the idea Susan is alive and in another state and the friends have fallen lock stock and barrel in step with her. If Susan is alive in another state why look for her?

Personally I think it is a delusion and people will cringe and ask themselves why did we ever fall for this when they find out what Kiirsi is basing this on.

I think the girl in this video sums up the feelings of Josh's friends when it comes to Susan and the media. They don't like any media that suggest Josh is guilty.

How could this girl do this walking into Susan's house?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVMEC9k1Bo[/ame]

I think one of the reasons there are no searches going on is because Josh's good friend Kiirsi put out the idea Susan is alive and in another state and the friends have fallen lock stock and barrel in step with her. If Susan is alive in another state why look for her?

Personally I think it is a delusion and people will cringe and ask themselves why did we ever fall for this when they find out what Kiirsi is basing this on.

I think the girl in this video sums up the feelings of Josh's friends when it comes to Susan and the media. They don't like any media that suggest Josh is guilty.

It's befuddling, no doubt about it. On the one hand, I believe Tricia. She seems to feel that K is credible. On the other hand, many of K's statements and actions are (to me, personally) at best, odd.
I'm basically trusting LE and Tricia. And watching Ed Smart to see if he leads anything, as well as who he choose to stand with--like when he's been side by side with Mr. Cox. And I guess, sorta conversly, I'm also watching to see who he doesn't stand beside or align himself with.
Meanwhile, the waiting is so hard. Those little boys must miss their mother terribly.

I suggested that Susan may have been kidnapped for "deprogramming", not because I think this is likely, but it is the most likely scenario where she would still be alive. My heart would love for her to be found alive, my head says that's almost impossible.

The "deprogramming" suggestion one possible reason for being kidnapped by Josh himself, possibly with help. We know his father is anti-LDS, we know that Josh is wobbly in his commitment to LDS, we know Susan was strong in her LDS faith, and we know this was one cause of tension within the marriage and between these three people.

If Kiirsi's attitude to finding Susan alive improved, then maybe LE have leads suggesting this scenario may have occurred, and they have informed her of their findings. I know she has had more contact with LE than we are a party to, and I trust her judgement on doing what she can to aid the search for Susan to the best of her ability.

I suggested that Susan may have been kidnapped for "deprogramming", not because I think this is likely, but it is the most likely scenario where she would still be alive. My heart would love for her to be found alive, my head says that's almost impossible.

The "deprogramming" suggestion one possible reason for being kidnapped by Josh himself, possibly with help. We know his father is anti-LDS, we know that Josh is wobbly in his commitment to LDS, we know Susan was strong in her LDS faith, and we know this was one cause of tension within the marriage and between these three people.

If Kiirsi's attitude to finding Susan alive improved, then maybe LE have leads suggesting this scenario may have occurred, and they have informed her of their findings. I know she has had more contact with LE than we are a party to, and I trust her judgement on doing what she can to aid the search for Susan to the best of her ability.

Assuming Susan was, in fact, taken for 'deprogramming'...isn't that still kidnapping? If LE had evidence that something of the sort had, in fact, taken place...wouldn't they be arresting someone for kidnapping or conspiracy to kidnap, etc? And wouldn't Susan and Josh's LDS friends be offended instead of supportive? :waitasec:

It's too bad someone did not paste these all over the moving van.

That would have helped with the search for Susan.

josh-susan.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVMEC9k1Bo

If they truly thought she was alive somewhere, then why would they help him pack her belongings and try to sell the house. I just don't get it at all. I'm sorry to say that I don't feel she is alive and I also feel that Josh has them eating out of his hands. It's sickening. And if this upsets anyone, I'm sorry....but I just don't get a good feeling when it comes to Kiirsi. Just my opinion which I am entitled to. I'm not trying to upset anyone and wish I could feel differently.

Assuming Susan was, in fact, taken for 'deprogramming'...isn't that still kidnapping? If LE had evidence that something of the sort had, in fact, taken place...wouldn't they be arresting someone for kidnapping or conspiracy to kidnap, etc? And wouldn't Susan and Josh's LDS friends be offended instead of supportive? :waitasec:

Just for the record, this scenario is the least likely to me.
However, I think your take is spot on. And to me, friends would be offended, scared, angry, and doing whatever they possibly could to help LE and bring the crisis to a conclusion. The last thing they would want to do would be to prolong it by making the crisis easier in any way for the uninterested, non- cooperator. I think the minute it was obvious that non-cooperation was the preferred game plan it was time for friends to step aside from comforting JP. Whether Susan is with us, (but in desperate danger) or worse, she should be the sole recipient of our focus.
JMO--YMMV, as always.

. . . snip . . .

I agree with this. I have wracked my brain trying to figure out WHY they aren't searching and can't come up with anything reasonable. However I kinda think LE, and yes Ed Smart, know something that we don't know. Hopefully it'll all play out in the proper order and eventually we'll learn what info we were missing.

Can someone fill me in on why Ed Smart has been talked about in this case? I am trying to do so research on him and his involvement with missing people. I know I have read something just don't know where.

Can someone fill me in on why Ed Smart has been talked about in this case? I am trying to do so research on him and his involvement with missing people. I know I have read something just don't know where.

Maybe I should jump in here, since I've been mentioning him. I saw a news conference or two (may have been more) where he was providing support to Mr. Cox. I was glad to see that. I think they stay in touch--pretty sure I've heard that.
Ed lives in SLC. When his daughter disappeared, she was gone through a winter. There were many searches, time passed, and we all know there was a very good conclusion when Elizabeth was found.
He knows the horrible pain of having a missing family member. He must have infinite sympathy for Mr. Cox and family, as well as the suffering of the two little boys, among others.
Because he's well versed in media, as well as searches (due to circumstances that were thrust upon his family) I think he'd gladly step up to do whatever he could do. I don't believe he'd ever do anything without the express OK of LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10