4-year-old boy suspended for hair length

If they do not require that girls with long hair also keep their hair braided, this rule complete bull.

I'm sure that the poor child wasn't distracted in the classroom by his hair, but he sure will be distracted now. Being taken away from the classroom and his friends like that. They are singling him out, so his peers are likely to look at him as "different" and tease him for it. Way to disrupt his education!

One of our kid's private schools had hair rules, and we obliged. It wasn't a big deal to keep up the short hair.

In this situation, I don't like how the school (or district) has decided that a long haired boy will somehow not be a productive member of society.

snip from article: On its Web site, the district says its code is in place because "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

(They say "constructive", I say "productive"... is there a difference? :crazy:)

I'm all for neat grooming and long hair should be kept neat, the boy wants to grow his hair for wigs for cancer patients and that's a great cause (IMO) and there should be some happy medium where he can grow his hair and groom it neatly. I agree with Idaho, if he has to have braids, then so should all the girls with long hair.

I have a hard time with this situation when the school looks like the bad guy. My opinion is probably not popular,but the school did have a dress code stating boys hair must be kept out of eyes and cannot extend below the bottom of the earlobes. The parents were aware of this going in. You can't just decide on your own that you don't want to adhere to this rule.

It also states that this distict is known for standing tough on it's dress code, and yet tries to find a middle ground and offers that Taylor can wear tight braids. What's the parents answer to that? "This adjustment isn't enough for Taylor."

Then maybe the parents should look for another school where they do not have a strict dress code.

I have a hard time with this situation when the school looks like the bad guy. My opinion is probably not popular,but the school did have a dress code stating boys hair must be kept out of eyes and cannot extend below the bottom of the earlobes. The parents were aware of this going in. You can't just decide on your own that you don't want to adhere to this rule.

It also states that this distict is known for standing tough on it's dress code, and yet tries to find a middle ground and offers that Taylor can wear tight braids. What's the parents answer to that? "This adjustment isn't enough for Taylor."

Then maybe the parents should look for another school where they do not have a strict dress code.

I don't think all parents are able to choose the schools their children attend. Many districts are zoned, and your children attend the schools they are told to attend.

My own personal belief is that it is completely and totally illegal to discriminate against anyone---even a child---because of his/her gender. We have laws that prevent that! I am frankly shocked that schools are allowed to continue to enforce rules that are enforced for one sex and not the other.

Not to mention that it is the parent's job (NOT the school's) to see that their child becomes a constructive member of society. Also, tight braids are very nice for a short while, but it is damaging to the hair if the hair is continually kept braided tightly for nine months of the year. The "solution" offered by the district simply points out that they are unfamiliar with the negative impact of tight braiding.

If this is a private school then the parents should have known the dress code before they sent their son there. However, if it is a public school, the probably had no choice (unless he is there on open enrollment) and they should not be able to suspend him for his hair.

You make a good point, capps, and I personally thought the Mom was a bit "over the top" concerning her 4-year-old and his hair freedom. :rolleyes:

That said, I find the policy SO ridiculous on SO many levels that I have to land in the Mom's camp. Seriously, I think "we" should send the message to this school and its administrators that we would rather they focus on how to better educate their charges and not on how long a preschool boy's hair is.

I saw a picture of this little boy, and his hair is so cute!It's not long like you picture, its actually just fluffy and kind of like the style most high school kids have around here..It's crazy especially when you see the school board lady's hair!IMHO her's is far more offensive!LOL

I can't bust on you for feeling this way. I am wondering why Taylor's head will split and crack if he wears braids?

(Snipped from article:
After a closed-door meeting Monday, the Mesquite school board decided the boy could wear his hair in tight braids but keep it no longer than his ears. But his parents say the adjustment isn't enough for Taylor, who wears his hair long, covering his earlobes and shirt collar.
His mother, Elizabeth Taylor, said she'll pull back Taylor's hair in a ponytail, acknowledging the style will keep him suspended.)

Link to article about his scalp: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34818450/ns/us_news-education/
Sentence which quotes the bleeding statement:
Taylor's mother, Elizabeth, plans to keep fighting. She says her son likes his hair long and braiding it would make his scalp bleed.

I'd cornrow my kid's hair if that solved the issue and I have a child who's skin condition can and has dictated a hair situation.

I admire Taylor for wanting to grow his hair for wigs. I admire his mother for standing strong in her stance. I agree with Idaho, each child, male or female, should be held to the same standard (and I don't know if they are or aren't?) However, I know I would adhere to the rules of conduct, even if it were to prove to my kids that rules of society and laws are important.

In our house, with tattoos and hair growth and anything else we can rule on, we do. It didn't stop with private schools. They'll (the children and one's who's adult and can buy beer for himself) can chose their path when it's their time to do so. Thankfully the oldest one has become much less of a rebel and has realized we're always 'right' (lol!) and the younger ones are the ones we have to work with now. Not sure we could deal with 3 at one time, deciding their own rules.

I think it's ridiculous for some school districts to ban children's hair lengths. They need to start acting like they work for the public who pay taxes and they are not a prison camp. A few boys in my grandkid's school had the most beautiful long curly hair and it was okay. We pay taxes and keep schools running yet we don't insist on dress and general appearance codes for teachers. Some are horribly overweight and unhealthy looking in appearance and slovenly dress and hairstyles, but they are accepted and it would horrendous to suggest that they are a distraction and not a good influence on children who mimic others. If they want to go this far then all school employees should wear uniforms with name tags, fix their hair neatly at all times, be physically fit in all ways, plus undergo regular drug and alcohol tests, and mental health checkups.

i find this whole thing utterly stupid.
he's a 4 year old kid first off......
hair dooesnt make a person who they are
when i was a kid i had many diffrent hairstyles........from very long to a very short buzzcut, to spiked short cut to a mowhawk. was never suspended, or threatned. my grades never dropped, i never was in trouble for bad behavior........i think to stereoype kids with idiotic blanket statments about hair length is acting like were still stuck in the 1950's. shame on the school district.

Are you kiddin me , does someone really think this statement is true, I have friends who grew up wearing long hair all there life and wore T-shirts and jeans they are all multi-millionaires today. This has got to be the most ignorant statement I have ever read - ever!

******************************************************************************************************************************

On its Web site, the district says its code is in place because "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582833,00.html?test=latestnews

Are you kiddin me , does someone really think this statement is true, I have friends who grew up wearing long hair all there life and wore T-shirts and jeans they are all multi-millionaires today. This has got to be the most ignorant statement I have ever read - ever!

******************************************************************************************************************************

On its Web site, the district says its code is in place because "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

this statement sounds like a 1960's public service annoucement.
watch out for the return of 'duck and cover' coming soon

It is the schools job to educate. I guess they think they should be able to set societies rules on subject such as hair lenth ,sexual health, human interest.
It is my job as a parent to raise my child to be productive and or constructive,not the schools. It is the schools job to educate and ensure that all children get an equal education in an environment conducive to learning.

I dont think 4 year olds who are getting suspended for long hair are getting that opportunity.

Has anyone seen pics of the child's hair? His hair isn't "long"... it's shaggy, at best. Yes, it can be pulled into a ponytail, but it isn't "long", IMO.

First, that boy is adorable!

Second, I find it odd that a public school has such a strict code about a child's physical appearance. Clothes, I can agree with. But hair length? Maybe it's time for the school district to update their dress code to the 21st century and let the kid back in class.

i find this whole thing utterly stupid.
he's a 4 year old kid first off......
hair dooesnt make a person who they are
when i was a kid i had many diffrent hairstyles........from very long to a very short buzzcut, to spiked short cut to a mowhawk. was never suspended, or threatned. my grades never dropped, i never was in trouble for bad behavior........i think to stereoype kids with idiotic blanket statments about hair length is acting like were still stuck in the 1950's. shame on the school district.

I so totally agree with your statement which I've bolded. I know many adult males with very long hair who are outstanding members of society. My own husband has hair down to his shoulder blades. We've been married over 30 years, and I knew him for six years before we married.....he has had long hair the whole time. He has two degrees and is politically and socially active. Some of the designers at the company I work for have long hair. They are talented and UPSTANDING members of society. There are doctors and lawyers with long hair! Even, GASP, teachers and professors!

How stupid that school board sounds when it suggests that for a male to have his hair longer than his earlobes means he won't be a constructive part of our nation.......the opposite of constructive is DESTRUCTIVE, btw, so what they are suggesting is that long haired males have a destroying effect on our society.

In a nation where girls have the right to join the boy scouts, it is rather "backward" thinking, not to mention illegal activity, on the part of that school district.

I so totally agree with your statement which I've bolded. I know many adult males with very long hair who are outstanding members of society. My own husband has hair down to his shoulder blades. We've been married over 30 years, and I knew him for six years before we married.....he has had long hair the whole time. He has two degrees and is politically and socially active. Some of the designers at the company I work for have long hair. They are talented and UPSTANDING members of society. There are doctors and lawyers with long hair! Even, GASP, teachers and professors!

How stupid that school board sounds when it suggests that for a male to have his hair longer than his earlobes means he won't be a constructive part of our nation.......the opposite of constructive is DESTRUCTIVE, btw, so what they are suggesting is that long haired males have a destroying effect on our society.

In a nation where girls have the right to join the boy scouts, it is rather "backward" thinking, not to mention illegal activity, on the part of that school district.

would be intresting what there opinions on girls hair length is. if i girl has a short bowl or pixie cut is she a troublemaker ready to bring down society? i just cant believe people still act like this these days, with ancient stereotypes that they decide to push on the rest of us.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back