Andrea Lyon's Body Language (Dr. Lillian Glass)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Lillian just did a body language analysis of Andrea's Today show appearance. I must say, I think Dr. Lillian is right on target! :)

http://drlillianglassbodylanguagebl...-she-may-believe-that-“-casey-killed-her-kid/

A thanks button isn't enough for posting this Muzikman, so thank you. Andrea Lyons has confused me, so it is reassuring to read Dr. Lillian's comments. ALyons has such a strong personality I haven't been trusting my instincts when I listened to her. On one hand I've been reacting to her words, but subconsciously of course not believing her words as I read her body signals - which I believe we all do when we listen to anyone, whether we recognize it or not. I came away from watching the clip saying to myself - wwwwhhhaaattt?
As I said before, I don't actually object to her using the word "kill" so often, even though she is speaking of the jury and her client. We hear the word "murder" in our society so often it no longer has to me at least the reality of the actual act. When ALyons says "they want to kill my client", I think to myself - yes, Casey really did KILL Caylee - let's use the real word - Kill. And hope no one on the jury forgets it!

Dr. Lillian just did a body language analysis of Andrea's Today show appearance. I must say, I think Dr. Lillian is right on target! :)

http://drlillianglassbodylanguagebl...ay-believe-that-“-casey-killed-her-kid/

Thanks for this. I must admit it surprised me. I am still confused whether Dr. LG read AL correctly, I expected AL to match her actions to her words from the seminar and be truly manipulative in how she plays the Defense chess game. Not so much eh? She does seem to be more the academic professor than the practical slick Defense attorney.

If true then I am truly stunned (and pleased) that AL may be a superb professor and advocate against the DP but in the case of KC she is showing cracks. The actions do not match the words.

It was interesting that she was in her groove when talking about the book and being anti DP but when it came to KC and guilt or innocence she struggled.

Maybe she has truly met her Waterloo on this case and while she so desperately wants to use it to promote herself and her book, she knows that the stakes are high .... in that she is facing an impossible task.

Maybe she does see the best case scenario is to plea out but the deal with JB is to take it all the way to trial for his glory and showcasing and AL knows that that makes this so much riskier, that it increases the chance of a DP verdict --- so it make her VERY uncomfortable to compromise her style and strategy?

I know in her seminar audio she talks about those cases that are impossible to win and that she wants to plea them out and move on, its like doh!!! It seems that this is one of those cases she'd normally ditch but since it is so high profile and she needs to use it ..... she is finally in an uncomfortable place and out of her depth. Not her style.

Thanks for this. I must admit it surprised me. I am still confused whether Dr. LG read AL correctly, I expected AL to match her actions to her words from the seminar and be truly manipulative in how she plays the Defense chess game. Not so much eh? She does seem to be more the academic professor than the practical slick Defense attorney.

If true then I am truly stunned (and pleased) that AL may be a superb professor and advocate against the DP but in the case of KC she is showing cracks. The actions do not match the words.

It was interesting that she was in her groove when talking about the book and being anti DP but when it came to KC and guilt or innocence she struggled.

Maybe she has truly met her Waterloo on this case and while she so desperately wants to use it to promote herself and her book, she knows that the stakes are high .... in that she is facing an impossible task.

Maybe she does see the best case scenario is to plea out but the deal with JB is to take it all the way to trial for his glory and showcasing and AL knows that that makes this so much riskier, that it increases the chance of a DP verdict --- so it make her VERY uncomfortable to compromise her style and strategy?

I know in her seminar audio she talks about those cases that are impossible to win and that she wants to plea them out and move on, its like doh!!! It seems that this is one of those cases she'd normally ditch but since it is so high profile and she needs to use it ..... she is finally in an uncomfortable place and out of her depth. Not her style.

Andrea L. really looks uncomfortable a lot of the time. And if I think about it a little more - I think she is not adept at situations where she isn't in control. For example, her body language and spoken words made her appear to be very comfortable when she was speaking at the seminar we've all seen at least parts of.

But each time I see her in a "meet the press" discussion, she really seems out of her depth. It is almost as if she fears what she will be asked. She holds her body very stiffly and her face, neck and shoulders are very tense. It seems to me that Dr. Glass is right on with her body read - it was obvious that interview with Meredith wasn't as "soft" as AL was expecting and she really doesn't like being challenged.

Remember the look on AL's face when Kathy B. was running after and asked the infamous question? The look on AL's face was classic. She wasn't in control of the situation and could not believe anyone had the chutzpah to actually ask HER a question like that. Very Red Queen. Andrea really wanted to turn to Baez and say "off with her head"!

Interesting that AL uses the very same phrase that was used in the inmate letter to the judge, "SHE DIDN’T KILL HER KID” A coincidence? :waitasec:

I don't think she gives a good gosh darn whether her client is innocent or guilty; she was on that show to promote a book. She cares whether her product will sell. Maybe she suffers a small bout of conscience for capitalizing on the cases she's tried. Nah. That can't be it.

If AL had to have a death hold grip on KC at the hearing the other day what will the trial be like. AL will have to sit on KC, I would imagine.

I am not convinced by AL's body language. This is a woman who has given entire seminars about how to appear a certain way in order to appeal to the juror. One lecture that I listened to actually gave complete insight why her PI "Mort" went to sit with KC during one of the hearings. She mentioned that jurors pay attention to body language.......in her words....."you don't want to turn around when you are standing at the bench and see your client making gang signs"....she also says that if the client seems to be staring at the jury they seem violent but if they won't make eye contact they seem untrustworthy. So her solution is to occupy the client. I don't doubt that she is feeling nervous.....BUT....in her eyes there is always a mitigating factor to argue. I feel certain that during this interview on Today she was trying out a behavioral "plan" to test the waters. She was IMO trying to seem more humble and softer given our opinions about her harsh demeanor. Given the "cold" reception the general public and even experts had to her actions, she will modify and adapt. Make no mistake, this woman has two faces. One for show and one for behind the safety of closed "lecture hall doors". Pop over the the AL thread and visit some of her lecture links. Enlightening is an understatement.

From the article:
Then her facial facial expression changes back to clearly show her fear, concern, and surprise at the judge’s not dropping the death penalty.

Ok, I don't believe that part at all. HOW can she be surprised that the Judge didn't drop it? I just don't see how she could have been surprised at that. IT was more or less, just setting up things for later. That was the only reason I could see for why she even filed it.

While I do enjoy reading Dr. Glass' articles, I do so wish she would employ a proofreader!

OK, I am super-duper on the fence when it comes to Dr. Glass, but she nails the fact that there were two ALs in this interview: confident, scholarly, in-control AL who is promoting her book & lecturing in the abstract, and wibbly wobbly AL who can't manage confident responses in defense of her high profile murder trial client. If she has a media groomer, that person must have been cringing.

(ETA: AlwaysShocked, the proofing errors are part of why I am so on the fence about her! Perhaps some grammarian among us should offer our services pro bono?)

I am not convinced by AL's body language. This is a woman who has given entire seminars about how to appear a certain way in order to appeal to the juror. One lecture that I listened to actually gave complete insight why her PI "Mort" went to sit with KC during one of the hearings. She mentioned that jurors pay attention to body language.......in her words....."you don't want to turn around when you are standing at the bench and see your client making gang signs"....she also says that if the client seems to be staring at the jury they seem violent but if they won't make eye contact they seem untrustworthy. So her solution is to occupy the client. I don't doubt that she is feeling nervous.....BUT....in her eyes there is always a mitigating factor to argue. I feel certain that during this interview on Today she was trying out a behavioral "plan" to test the waters. She was IMO trying to seem more humble and softer given our opinions about her harsh demeanor. Given the "cold" reception the general public and even experts had to her actions, she will modify and adapt. Make no mistake, this woman has two faces. One for show and one for behind the safety of closed "lecture hall doors". Pop over the the AL thread and visit some of her lecture links. Enlightening is an understatement.

I absolutely agree - with the exception of situations when she IS NOT in control. In a courtroom or speaking at a seminar, perfectly at ease. We may not like what her "at ease" is, but I believe she thinks she is in control. But I've seen her in three different "clips" one with Linda Baden, one promoting her book and one with Kathy B. chasing after her, and each time if you watch her face closely during the times something she hasn't expected happens - I see three things pass very quickly across her face - indignation/confusion(raised eyebrows, chin lowering), realization (she's on camera (very quick eye opening) and answering (smoothing of emotions to appear relaxed and reasonable). I agree she is a master of reading other people, and preparing for their responses, but I'm not sure how much time she spends reading and reprogramming her own body language. I think Orlando is totally new territory to her and she has yet to master it.

If AL had to have a death hold grip on KC at the hearing the other day what will the trial be like. AL will have to sit on KC, I would imagine.

OH MY, I can see the headlines now, "DEATH BY BEHEMOTH", DP served pre-maturely, but that's OK, you win some you lose some

No harm meant here at all, but I have a hard time taking Dr. Glass seriously. Besides the typos others have already mentioned, her grammar and word choices leave a lot to be desired, as does her punctuation.

I don't understand what's up with that. Her bio says she has a Ph.D. She sure doesn't sound like a person with a doctorate level education to me.

I know she's quite popular and is apparently considered an expert. I am not disputing her analyses and/or opinions concerning the body language of various individuals - nor am I agreeing with them. I'm just saying she comes across as unprofessional and it takes away from her credibility IMO.

As communication is her supposed area of expertise, I wonder why she doesn't take stock of the impression she herself gives and work on improving her own skills?

It truly puzzles me. JMHO

As far as Lillian Glass......I think she was probably rushed to get her opinion out there and failed to take the time to correct errors or edit. Perhaps....she dictated her opinion to someone for the purpose of posting it on the blog and it was that person that failed to edit. While it does seem unprofessional, I don't think it changes the spirit of her findings. KWIM??

As far as Lillian Glass......I think she was probably rushed to get her opinion out there and failed to take the time to correct errors or edit. Perhaps....she dictated her opinion to someone for the purpose of posting it on the blog and it was that person that failed to edit. While it does seem unprofessional, I don't think it changes the spirit of her findings. KWIM??

I get what you're saying and her findings/opinions/analyses might very well be 100 %accurate for all I know. However, for me to consider her findings holding the weight of having come from an expert? No way. I just couldn't. Her lack of editing and all the other problems really put me off.

It would be different if she were an anonymous blogger or everyday person. I could read her analyses and think, "You know, she's onto something there. She maybe has a knack and/or experience reading people." But. since she presents herself as an expert, highly educated, experienced person who has published multiple books on the subject, her lack of professionalism in the very area she claims to be skilled - communication - ruins her credibility IMO. I just can't see past it. I can't read her blog as an "expert" opinion.

P.S. What I'm saying is that because she presents herself as an expert, that automatically givers her more responsibility IMO. IMO, she has the responsibility to edit or make sure people below her edit. She is required to uphold a certain level or standard of professionalism. KWIM?

Well I agree. I believe she has most of us exactly where she wants us. I would expect nothing less. She is probably sandbagging. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie