7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

Sleuthster

Verified - friend of Wendy Huggy
Reaction score
Website
cynthiaparrott.blogspot.com
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582877,00.html

WASHINGTON — A major magnitude 7.3 quake hit just 9 miles off the coast of the impoverished country of Haiti on Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
A local tsunami watch is in effect for countries in the area, including Haiti, Cuba, the Bahamas and the Domincan Republic, according to NOAA's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The warning notes that a destructive threat does not exist based on historical earthquake and tsunami data, but cautions that waves may be on the way, especially in costal regions. The Associated Press reports that a strong earthquake has hit the Haiti, collapsing a hospital

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

They also have had 2 more moderate quakes proceding the first

Tsunami watch is in effect for much of eastern caribbean and the bahamas

Sad. Prayers for the Folks of Haiti and I hope a hospital is able to be set up right away with near by medical teams.

I went to Haiti when I was 5, I remember it vividly. People I know who have gone to Port-au-prince recently told me things have not changed much. It is a very poor country.

I hope that the hospital was not destroyed as they claim and that there are minimal casualties if any.

Saying prayers

Oh, that is terrible!
Prayers for everyone who was in harm's way.
That is really frightening.

OMG this is terrible!
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126333470907826737.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- A strong earthquake hit the impoverished country of Haiti on Tuesday afternoon, where a hospital collapsed and people were screaming for help. Other buildings also were damaged.
The earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 and was centered about 14 miles west from the capital of Port-au-Prince, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
An Associated Press videographer saw the wrecked hospital in nearby Petionville, and a U.S. government official reported seeing houses that had tumbled into a ravine.
No further details on any casualties or other damage were immediately available.
"Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken," said Henry Bahn, a visiting official with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. "The sky is just gray with dust."
Mr. Bahn said he was walking to his hotel room when the ground began to shake.
"I just held on and bounced across the wall," he said. "I just hear a tremendous amount of noise and shouting and screaming in the distance."
Mr. Bahn said there were rocks strewn all over the place and he saw a ravine where several homes had been built. "It's just full of collapsed walls and rubble and barbed wire," he said.
Copyright © 2010 Associated Press

I am reading on some news sites that it is now a tsunami warning. I am not sure if that is just a typo or they have upgraded it.

A truly frightening time for millions of people... so scary. I am praying for their strength.

I notice that Guantanamo Bay is verrrry close... do we have resources that can be mobilized within a few hours? Hoping that help and aide is nearby.

Major Earthquake in Haiti; Damage in Port-au-Prince

Magnitude 7.0, Only 10 Miles from Capital

A major earthquake struck just off the coast of Haiti late this afternoon, reportedly causing extensive damage in the capital of Port-au-Prince, and one aid worker said "there must be thousands of people dead."

.........................snip.............................

"He reported that it was just total disaster and chaos, that there were clouds of dust surrounding Port-au-Prince," Sara Fajardo said from the group's offices in Maryland.

Early reports said a hospital in nearby Petionville had collapsed, and a videographer for The Associated Press said he could hear people screaming for help.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/major-earthquake-hits-haiti-tsunami-watch-issued/story?id=9544984

There's a lot of difference between a 4.6 and 7

:confused:

However, as this is a poorer country, the buildings may have not been built very well. The point is, there's LOTS of damage.

fran

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/last_event/world_haiti.html

Preliminary Earthquake Report

Magnitude 4.6 HAITI REGION

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 01:05:49 UTC

Yes, there have been several after shocks reported on usgs. Many in the 5.0 + range. I am suprised.

Every day the death toll and estimate will go up. Horrible to happen to a Nation with nothing.

I have been on my internet radio this evening scanning radio stations in Haiti. Only one is on the air that I can find and I don't speak French but they seemed to be reading personal messages and passing on info about resources available. This is going to be one heck of an awful situation.
Will post anything important I can get.

I think there is some confusion. The original earthquake registered a 7.0. It was very close to the surface of the earth. It was big!
The aftershocks have been in the 4.6 range. Even that is enough to buckle your knees in fear, not to mention topple over or crush whatever is left.

I have seen pictures on ireport of bodies. A body laying in the road, a body being carried by a group of men. It is so surreal. I sadly believe that the death toll will be vastly significant.

Anderson Cooper took off early from his CNN 360 program tonight to try to get to the Dominican Republic Wednesday morning so he can report live from Haiti.
CNN has been having great coverage so far.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/science/01/12/caribbean.earthquakes/index.html?eref=ib_technology

Experts warned of earthquake risk on Haiti

Scientists have warned for years that the island of Hispaniola, which Haiti shares with the Dominican Republic, was at risk for a major earthquake.

Five scientists presented a paper during the 18th Caribbean Geological Conference in March 2008 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, stating that a fault zone on the south side of the island posed "a major seismic hazard."

Tuesday's potentially disastrous 7.0 earthquake occurred in Haiti along the same fault line, known as the Enriquillo-Plaintain Garden fault zone.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back