NV NV - Las Vegas, WhtMale 40-55, UP394, suicide in desert, clothes, Nov'70

jessunlil

MOO
Reaction score
Unidentified White Male
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2022umnv.html

The victim was discovered on November 8, 1970 in Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada
  • Estimated Date of Death: 3-5 days
  • Cause of Death: Suicide
  • State of Remains: Recognizable Face
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 45-55 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; 200 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Gray/Brown hair; Brown eyes
  • Clothing: Gray pants; green plaid shorts; white t-shirt; green checkered long sleeve jacket Hush Puppy shoes, white socks.
  • Dentals: Not Available
Case History
The victim was located in Las Vegas, Nevada on November 8, 1970 at 1/4 mile northwest of 3600 Las Vegas Boulevard North. He was found in desert are with heavy metal wire around neck and wounds (cuts) to wrists; apparent suicide.

This guy seems like a possible match to me but I would like your thoughts!

Charles Hollingsworth
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4059dmca.html

Missing since October 26, 1970 from South Lake Tahoe, El Dorado County, California

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: September 19, 1931
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1"; 210 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Greying brown hair; hazel eyes.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Charles Hollingsworth is a doctor. Last seen in his office. Was described as being despondent over family problems. Left the office after argument with family member and was never seen again.

Looks pretty close to me. Brown eyes can be confused with hazel, and the height discrepancy is not too far off.

I only wish that if the UID has a "recognizable face", they would show it or at least provide a drawing.

I would definitely submit it.

Hey it's possible...

The height is 2 inches off and Charles is a little younger than what the age the estimated the UID for, but he does have greying brown hair like the UID.

If he was having family problems, maybe he decided to decided to commit suicide and drove to Las Vegas thinking no one in 1970 would ever make the connection...

From the time he went missing to when the UID was found was about two weeks so the time frame fits. The UID was estimated to be have been dead 3-5 days prior.

Good Job jessunlil!!

looks close enough to me, though, I mapped it and it's an 11 hour drive from point a to point b. Hopefully, a good job.

Thanks everyone!

I just submitted these two to the Clark County NV Coroner's Office, via e-mail. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything.

I received a reply from the Clark County NV coroner's office, I've posted it below.

"Hi Jessika, thank you for the tip, my records do not show that he* was ever considered or ruled out. I have pulled the file and have left a message with South Lake Tahoe PD to call me back. It looks pretty good, I'll let you know the results. Thank you again for a great job. We really appreciate any tips we get in. Have a great day."

*The "he" referred to in the reply is Charles Hollingsworth.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else!

Since I am sure they have a photo in their files of his "recognizable face", the fact that they think it "looks pretty good" is very encouraging.

Sounds really good. I think you may have a match. Tahoe and Vegas are pretty close.

That's an interesting connection. It could be. I wonder why they never did a reconstruction drawing of John Doe in Las Vegas, since they said that his face was recognizable. Its worth looking into.

looking more closely at the UID's Namus page they have nothing for dentals, fingerprints or even eye color. supposedly they had submitted DNA for testing on the UID but no results are noted. (seems that the test must have been done by now) if the UID had a recognizable face, you would think they could have gotten prints from the fingers had they chosen to do so.

Hollingsworth's Namus page is here and they also claim to have a sample that had not yet been submitted:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4722/3/

other than comparing faces, I'm not sure how they would make any match given that none of the usual identifiers are present for both. Hollingsworth is noted as having fingerprints on file.

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you all.
Unfortunately, I have heard nothing back & can only assume that these two were not a match.

Not much info to go on, and no pic. But I wonder, did he die from the wire around the neck, or the deep wounds [cuts] on wrist ["apparent suicide"]? If he slit his wrists, I would think it would be rather painful to then strangle oneself with wire? If he died of the strangulation, then how did the wrists cuts get there? And also I am curious how he ended up in the middle of the desert? To me the circumstances seem odd for a suicide? Did they find proof that he actually committed suicide at that spot? I.e. something sharp found near the body, which he could have used to slashed his wrists? I didn't see any mention of anything of that sort in the immediate vicinity. Without evidence at the scene, it seems to me that this could have possibly been a body dump instead of a suicide?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back