Andrea Lyons ~ Tapes and Lectures And RECENT MEDIA

sleutherontheside

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
So....this evening I listened to a lecture that AL gave at the Kentucky Public Defender College. This speech was given at a conference back in 2008. Some interesting highlights worth noting..... AL says...and I quote....." My one and only negotiation tool is........ you, let's pick a jury".

Additionally, she goes into great detail about voir dire and describes part of her strategy.....She knows that each potential juror will be asked what they think mitigation means. Then she obtains transcripts taken during voir dire....when questioning a juror she appeals to them on a personal level from info in their answers given during initial voir dire. She uses the transcripts to find a common ground. She gave an example of a woman she was questioning. She noted that the woman was wearing "sensible shoes", lived in a "racist neighborhood" (in her words...you know the kind where you have to fill out a questionairre to prove how racist you are before you can move in. haha) had a husband who was employed by so and so. BUT, she noted that when the woman got up, she had on a purple slip and she figured this woman must be a nut so she agreed to have her on the jury. According to AL, that woman caused a hung jury and her client got off.

AL also went into explicit detail about how to talk up the "bad photos" that the pros will present. Her advice is to make them seem far worse than they really are so that the jury will be disappointed that they were not as bad as they anticipated. She advises beginning this set up in voir dire and in opening.

For more juicy tidbits go to link and listen to the lecture.

http://recordings.talkshoe.com/rss48591.xml

So...I am about a third of the way through listening to the other AL podcast located at the link I provided above. Here is is again...

This one discussed the Public Defender Toolbox. In the first 21 minutes there are 2 statements she makes that I find very noteworthy.

1st. I can tell autopsy jokes.
2nd A friend told me I have a unique ability that I can bond with psychopaths.

Additionally she discusses the fact that "Juries are not like us....many of them are Republicans."

When discussing case loads and PD being overwhelmed, she tells an example of walking into court Monday morning and meeting new clients after their arraignment. She said...."When you see that new client walk in with a thick file and a big cross around his neck you know it's going to be a bad day."

She also expresses her opinion that the Freedom of Information Act is the best thing that ever happened. Gave a website to generate a letter to request info. Hmmmmmmmmmmm yet the Sunshine Laws are presenting an issue for her???? Can't have it both ways dear.

I have also noted that AL has no issue with using profanity in her lectures AT ALL. Off to listen to more......this is so very interesting.

Not done with this podcast yet but after the 43 minute mark she shares this juicy info. Discussing PD clients.

"I have clients I don’t care for." You know the ones .. we do our best but we aren’t that sad when the case is closed.

" I hate innocent clients." She goes on to say that people don’t understand that. She says she worries more for those she feel sympathy for. That this is hard to explain to some people. She said you know you are going to lose, and you can make it better for them if they are guilty but if they are innocent and you lose you make it worse.

She also discusses an issue with paid experts. That you should always follow the money. She found that one particular phychiatrist voted 100% of the time with the side that paid him. She started sending him $100 to do a brief consult on her cases in order that he would not be called for the Prosecution.

Not done with this podcast yet but after the 43 minute mark she shares this juicy info. Discussing PD clients.

"I have clients I don’t care for." You know the ones .. we do our best but we aren’t that sad when the case is closed.

" I hate innocent clients." She goes on to say that people don’t understand that. She says she worries more for those she feel sympathy for. That this is hard to explain to some people. She said you know you are going to lose, and you can make it better for them if they are guilty but if they are innocent and you lose you make it worse.

She also discusses an issue with paid experts. That you should always follow the money. She found that one particular phychiatrist voted 100% of the time with the side that paid him. She started sending him $100 to do a brief consult on her cases in order that he would not be called for the Prosecution.

Good Lord, she actually stated this????

Do you know, is it usually standard practice during a trial to solicit information from experts as to whether or not they are being paid, or gaining financially for their services (for the benefit of juries)?

So...I am about a third of the way through listening to the other AL podcast located at the link I provided above. Here is is again...

This one discussed the Public Defender Toolbox. In the first 21 minutes there are 2 statements she makes that I find very noteworthy.

1st. I can tell autopsy jokes.

2nd A friend told me I have a unique ability that I can bond with psychopaths.

Additionally she discusses the fact that "Juries are not like us....many of them are Republicans."

When discussing case loads and PD being overwhelmed, she tells an example of walking into court Monday morning and meeting new clients after their arraignment. She said...."When you see that new client walk in with a thick file and a big cross around his neck you know it's going to be a bad day."

She also expresses her opinion that the Freedom of Information Act is the best thing that ever happened. Gave a website to generate a letter to request info. Hmmmmmmmmmmm yet the Sunshine Laws are presenting an issue for her???? Can't have it both ways dear.

I have also noted that AL has no issue with using profanity in her lectures AT ALL. Off to listen to more......this is so very interesting.

So far, that is the most interesting statement I have heard....another point to ponder while researching this psychopath stuff.....what type of people (characteristically) tend to have the ability to connect and bond with psych/sociopaths.....interesting...

[/B]

Good Lord, she actually stated this????

Do you know, is it usually standard practice during a trial to solicit information from experts as to whether or not they are being paid, or gaining financially for their services (for the benefit of juries)?

BBM

YES SHE DID. With a statement that noteworthy...I would not risk misquoting. I highly suggest listening to the podcasts. I am gathering my notes now and will post other notable phrases. I don't need any copyright issues so I included the link and encourage people to listen for themselves.

She discusses that you can have fun getting stories from other witnesses. It is good because they are so persuasive. They make the story come to life and have dual purpose. They communicate to the jury that you care enough to go and investigate. AND it keeps cops from lying so much. Goes on to say "Cops must take courses." They don’t speak English they speak cop. They consider their lying is for greater good.

If you as the attorney know the scene, can describe it, that tells them (cops)not to "wander off reservation" because you "know what is out there".

She also said to never leave your client alone at the table during sidebar because 'they don't know how to act". She said you can't worry about being in sidebar and turn around to see your client making gang signs. Have someone sit with them. If they keep their eyes down, they look guilty, if they stare, they look dangerous.

Family behavior is important too. Make sure you have "mom" on your side because if she isn't, you aren't going to be able to get your client to do what you want them to do like taking a deal or what you think they need to do.

The room needs to be balanced. Once she had a courtroom where she was filing motions and the Prosecution side was filled with a bunch of cops. She said "they may as well have had kill him stamped on their forehead". So she called the clients family and told them to get the neighborhood down to the courthouse to make it look like they had support. "If other people don't like your client, the jury won't either".

Do you think that the State has accessed these speeches by AL in order to learn more about the way she works?...and if not, maybe they should be enlightened to where to find them. *wink*

These podcasts are on a site that requires no membership or passwords. I simply back doored my way into finding it because it was not listed on any searches under her name. I really don't think the SA would be interested in any of them because in all honesty while some may find the content offensive, it isn't illegal and both sides have tricks and stratagies. This podcast was posted by another party and she is not the only one in the list. If she doesn't want her lectures out there, she should opt out of them being posted. I posted the links to avoid copyright issues as well as because people will take away from them different things. It was just the noteworthy quotes that I found to be of interest. I did not obtain these in a fraudulent manner, I did not trick anyone into giving them to me, and I did not hack any sites, I simply knew how to look. Her son is an investigator as is her partner in this case Mort S. Maybe they should have done their own homework.

Additional notes on AL podcast.

Motions practice:
She advises using a motions index…
"most of time state doesn’t answer so I have to ask judge to order that the state answer it"

The index is nice to hand judge and prosecutor. It is intimidating at 3 pages long. Maybe you will get that deal in order to avoid litigating motion.

Use a worksheet
Ask yourself...What do I wish wasn’t there..is there a confession? Let's write a motion. Fingerprints? Write a motion. Shae advises writing a motion for everything.

She states that there are many different triers of fact..juror…judge…You know when it's time to cross…and the judge is like ok you can cross examine, while he is rolling his eyes and shrugging shoulders. He is telling jury not to listen to you.

Clerks try your case too. Baliff….

There are always people listening…There is always someone in the restroom that hears you complaining about the guy coming out of lockup with the bible.

Victims family are trier of fact…..the more damage done…less reasonable doubt.

I want to note that AL in these 2 lectures has made very specific references to clients that wear a big cross around the neck or carry a bible out of lockup. Wonder what her thoughts on KC's bible would be???

Andrea's strategy or plan is becoming more transparent by the day. Let's look at a blog entry by Terence L (KC's first DP qualified attorney) discussing postpartum depression as a mitigation factor in filicide.....http://www.deathpenaltyblog.com/tag/add-new-tag/ see the
April 17th entry.....
Let's recall statements made to LE about KC mentioning needing "mental health" help. Let's recall comments made about her having a miscarriage with BS and her "freak out" at a party because she ran into him. Let's look at the very specific references made to her promiscuity, bi-polar behavior, and poor judgement. Let's look at Sarah Buckley, one of KC's visitors that has written articles regarding parenting issues that include discussion about PPD........ If nothing else....the defense it setting up the mitigation strategy to argue PPD.

AL did a podcast on the 7th in Chicago......discussing the DP and some of her cases. I found it interesting that when discusing her record......she described it a bit differently than what we have heard. We keep hearing about 19 cases where she won against the death penalty. In her words however......she described having some 30-40 potential death penalty cases....some she pled, some she got a second degree conviction and some were aquitted. 19 of those I lost but was able to prevent them from the death penalty. Sooooooooooooooo sounds a bit different in her own words on a little podcast done in Chicago and outside the bright lights and heat from this case. Hmmmm

Here are the links to the podcast from 1/7/2010

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/wgnam-x720-uncut100107a,0,342584.mp3file

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/wgnam-x720-uncut100107b,0,408121.mp3file

Here is one she did yesterday with Steve Malzberg..

http://www.wor710.com/pages/419284.php

I am getting ready to listen but apparently it gets heated.

Andrea Lyon discusses her book Angel of Death Row on the Steve Malzberg Show. Andrea became very combative when asked about the Casey Anthony Trial, which she is the defense attorney for, and would not support her statements exclaiming Casey Anthony is innocent. Quote from intro to story.

You can't forward through it and there are other stories prior to it....just a heads up. Steve uses racy language that may offend some.

OMG.........I am still listening to the podcast with Malzberg.....AL only commented on KC at the onset and was soooooooooooooooooooooo rude and in the hosts words...."combative". SHe agreed to comment on her statement to Meredith about the Salem Witch Trials but categorically refused to answer one more question about the KC case. She was...shall we say.....in the hot seat and didn't like it. THIS is an interview to listen to. I am still listening but she did say this.... She has never tried a case where the ENTIRE population of the area in which the person is to be tried hates the client. She said that trying to conduct their investigations is virtually impossible because everyone hates KC and are afraid to talk to the team.
She is the complete opposite of the Meredith interview. I smell mitigation, or her argument for appeal in her remarks about not being able to conduct her investigation for her client.

Let me tell you this guy is totally "b*tch slapping" her. THis is great. He is calling her out for claiming things that she can't recall or back up. She is arguing with him and he isn't throwing any softballs. LOVE IT!!!!

Andrea Lyon discusses her book Angel of Death Row on the Steve Malzberg Show. Andrea became very combative when asked about the Casey Anthony Trial, which she is the defense attorney for, and would not support her statements exclaiming Casey Anthony is innocent. Quote from intro to story.

You can't forward through it and there are other stories prior to it....just a heads up. Steve uses racy language that may offend some.

She's up next. Gonna be good from Steve's tone of voice! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

LMAO! Love this guy and she can't give that guys name.

LMAO! Love this guy and she can't give that guys name.

I know.....she is discussing wrongful convictions and cases where an innocent person was executed and she is so passionate about this subject and as Steve said..she has dedicated her life to this cause and she can't give him the name of the man who was wronfully convicted and executed. PRICELESS!!!!

Thanks! I listened! Sooo... people are AFRAID to talk to the defense? Gee... maybe it's because the defense loves to throw innocent people under the bus ? The whole population HATES KC? Couldn't be due to anything KC has done, could it? AL's just as obnoxious as Baez! KC seems to have that effect on people, doesn't she? (CA for example :snooty:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back