Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Andrea Lyons ~ Tapes and Lectures And RECENT MEDIA

I have a favor to ask of fellow members...........This comes from me....ordinary average poster.......please listen to, evaluate, and discuss the AL interviews like the professionals that we all are. I think that the interviews are quite interesting given the multitude of AL personalities we are seeing. She IMO is attempting to "play to her audience" and failing IMO to show any consistency in her demeanor or opinions. For example......Steve Malzberg is known to stir it up....he is brash and "in your face" it's his "thing". I think that Andrea went into the interview with her guard up and on alert. She morphed into someone "not to mess with". Her interview with Meredith Viera demonstrated an entirely different demeanor. She appears one way in court, yet resorts to "bullying" outside the courthouse. She portrays herself as the "advocate" for preserving life yet seems not to respect those who oppose her. Let's be sure to discuss the real contradictions in her actions and refrain from just "bashing". Bashing is for other forums.....we are far better AND brighter than that. Climbing off soapbox and hiding behind sofa. HeeHee

This is not directed to ANYONE.......I just anticipate it heating up.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

On top of the beautiful Appalachian Mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
    I have a favor to ask of fellow members...........This comes from me....ordinary average poster.......please listen to, evaluate, and discuss the AL interviews like the professionals that we all are. I think that the interviews are quite interesting given the multitude of AL personalities we are seeing. She IMO is attempting to "play to her audience" and failing IMO to show any consistency in her demeanor or opinions. For example......Steve Malzberg is known to stir it up....he is brash and "in your face" it's his "thing". I think that Andrea went into the interview with her guard up and on alert. She morphed into someone "not to mess with". Her interview with Meredith Viera demonstrated an entirely different demeanor. She appears one way in court, yet resorts to "bullying" outside the courthouse. She portrays herself as the "advocate" for preserving life yet seems not to respect those who oppose her. Let's be sure to discuss the real contradictions in her actions and refrain from just "bashing". Bashing is for other forums.....we are far better AND brighter than that. Climbing off soapbox and hiding behind sofa. HeeHee

Amen!
    Don't murder in Kentucky! My thread here.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...n+lisa+tackett

A proud happy people, we were here long before the white man came. Stalking along meadow paths, we were used to hunting every day. The rivers gave us fish, The woods even gave us deer and other wild game. Here upon this land, we built our homes, and raised our families. Love was free and natural, as we moved swiftly among the trees. This was a country, It was here that we lived for centuries. Oh I want peace with my soul again. Oh I, I want peace with my soul again. Everyday was new love,. Our village was filled with smiling faces.

All credit from the quote above, goes to Tom Bee, and XIT! The first Rock Native American band.

Thank you Tom!!

I listened to the podcast, interesting.

Cost versus Benefit?

While AL should have known what to expect at this interview she does do herself a dis-service both in terms of the KC case and her book. She definitely needs a PR person as a handler but also needs to try to bring people on board to care about her mission and work rather than be seen as AL against the world and treat it confrontationally.

She needs to educate and raise awareness. I think that the issue is, she took on the KC case to enable publicity for her book but it is a double-edged sword in that while it garners the publicity ..... people are very passionate about the case and Justice for Caylee.

AL needs to pick one. Either promote your book and your anti-DP message OR defend KC. To me they are in conflict since KC is the wrong person to use to gain public support and sympathy that she should not face Murder 1 and the DP. AL needed someone she can soft sell to aid her work not someone who creates such passion.
    Last edited by cyberborg; 01-13-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Disclaimer: All posts are my own humble opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Justice for Caylee

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to cyberborg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by knt View Post
    Thanks! I listened! Sooo... people are AFRAID to talk to the defense? Gee... maybe it's because the defense loves to throw innocent people under the bus ? The whole population HATES KC? Couldn't be due to anything KC has done, could it? AL's just as obnoxious as Baez! KC seems to have that effect on people, doesn't she? (CA for example )
    I would imagine they would expect the public to be upset with this case. Filing that motion during RK's deposition was a big mistake. Videos of the ex-wives broadcasted when they knew there would be little chance we would see them otherwise, another mistake. I know it is the defense's job to create reasonable doubt but the public obviously does not feel this was reasonable. This is not a case of KC saying "Bibbity Bobbity Boo" and the public screaming "She's a witch, let's burn her." This is a case where all the evidence/information released so far points directly at KC. You want it to die down....stay away from the media. Everytime they show up on a TV show we have three threads or more going strong at the same time. They know what they are suppose to do....but then that won't sell any books. JMO

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Her reasoning is just bizarre. Saying the death penalty is not a deterrent and does not make society safer. Ok, that may be, but is prison a deterrent? Does imprisoning criminals make society safer or less safe than the death penalty? Clearly imprisonment is more dangerous to society and other human lives, because the criminal can still harm people/other inmates. Neither is perfect, but imprisonment is more dangerous than the death penalty in terms of potential harm to society.Following her 'logic', there should be no imprisonment either.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:

Andrea's PI Mort has been hot and heavy trying to investigate any person involved in the case as well as KC's past. I find it so iteresting that during his "filming" Crystal Sparks that he begins the video by saying......."I met with you a few weeks ago and you told us some things we want to put on (then quickly corrects himself to say)capture on video. He asked minimal questions and allowed her to blather on about her speculations, opinions, etc.......This interview was extremely coached. She was "prompted" to further elaborate after she seemed to have completed her thought. She completes a "story" of his verbal abuse and then Mort asks her to discuss the physical abuse they had previously talked about. This and his other interviews were done for the sole purpose of creating a basis for "rolling the bus". Crystal slips though and says that while RK had their son in Key West.....that he was "just mouthing". Sounds far different from "he took my son and I feared I would never see him again". AL wants these "interviews (though I dare say it was more of a monologue as it was not a question and answer session) to USE. If Mort was conducting an interview.........he would have taped the first meeting....NOT the come back and let's get it on tape. Mort and Andrea have discussed in lectures that the tape could come back to bite you. Looks like they were taking their own advice.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

DaughterAlice is offline ''I'm sorry if that sounds selfish, sweetie, but it's me! Me! Me! Me!''
    I declare madatory listening for this podcast.
    I completely look forward to it! However, I'm one of those super moms who have to juggle everything at once. I will try to listen late tonight, after kids are in bed, but it might have to wait until tomorrow night (or possibly even this weekend).

Anyone willing to paraphrase as much as possible, I would really appreciate it! That said, I'll still listen, because nothing will beat the words & tone that come out of AL own mouth.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaughterAlice For This Useful Post:

I listened. I wish wish wish that Steve would interview CA and GA. THAT would be priceless!
    "This is not about Casey Anthony, but about what happened to Caylee Anthony between the photograph taken on June 15 and the one taken on December 11." LDB, my hero

"I just have to ask you, how does one human being do this to another, let alone do it to their Mother?" Bill Shaeffer

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jenny60123 For This Useful Post:

When you think about it if you were a defense attorney and wanted to keep the spotlight off your client, wanted things to die down a little you would say a few things JB has stated if they shove a mike in your face but the media interviews just do not make sense. UNLESS you are thinking of doing a book after the trial. JB has certainly given us alot to talk about but if he would always have replied "No comment", who would want to buy his book. JMO

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Un-freaken-beliable! I am partially through the podcast and I'm listening to the side of AL that gets herself kicked out of courtrooms......(she's "bragged" about this before). YIKES.

JMO

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RainyGirl For This Useful Post:

1. I can't say I'm surprised by any of this - I've yet to meet a defense attourney I could respect.

2. Wow, did KC get what she deserved or what? A team of narcissists almost as self-enamored as she is!

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to njustice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
    Thanks so much for bringing this particular radio show to our attention. (And the podcasts) Speaking of bungling public relations, I was shocked that as a death penalty opponent she wasn't able to easily roll the name of one individual who has been wrongly put to death for a crime he/she didn't commit! No, really shocked! And Steve took full advantage of it. If Andrea is really going to promote her book and her beliefs I really believe she needs to work on her really short fuse and develop thicker skin.
    PS: I wish I'd said what you said in post #13 - heh heh
    Not only that... she needs to try to humanize herself so that she thinks about her cases as real people rather than just her "wins" or "losses"!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kaelieanne For This Useful Post:

I Loved It!

I started to listen to the same old same old and ended up holding my breath almost throughout the whole show. This guy was really quite obnoxious and for me it was - yippee, a bully and a bully - wonder if it will be a knock down drag out. Awash in sarcasm from Steve - "really Andrea, the Salem Witch Trials" to the name me one defendant - just one who has been wrongly put to death.

I see that Andrea talks a good story about studying and manipulating her prey, but no way has she practiced congenial combativeness. When she was responding to some of the questions, I knew exactly what expression she had on her face because we've seen it before when she has met her match. When Andrea first came on the scene I was pretty intimidated by her reputation. I just assumed she'd be a "smooth operator" and therefore dangerous. But there is that old saying (that maybe I just made up - dunno) You must first have full control of yourself before you can control others. This is a woman who hasn't accepted the full scope of her own personality yet because she fails to understand and develop armor for her triggers.

Just IMO of course.

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njustice View Post
    1. I can't say I'm surprised by any of this - I've yet to meet a defense attourney I could respect.

2. Wow, did KC get what she deserved or what? A team of narcissists almost as self-enamored as she is!
    It's weird but I have a dual reaction to some of this stuff - like defense attorneys, etc.
    I may not be buying what they are selling, but that doesn't stop me from observing their presentation style, listening to the way they put together a rebuttal, or are able to think on their feet very quickly and intelligently.

In other words, their style fascinates me and in many ways I'll admire it, but make no mistake, I don't believe what they are saying - if that makes any sense at all to anyone.

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:

Andrea Lyon and Emily Hughes

http://www.law.depaul.edu/centers_in...ita_thomas.pdf

things to note.......
    pages 10-11 For example, as we began to talk with jurors, we talked about how the interviews went and developed new ways to frame certain questions with the next set of jurors.

page 13 We divided the record and began planning how to reinvestigate the facts of the case.
    What do I mean by that? I mean we investigate: 1) the facts of Juanita’s life -- at least insofar as they impacted her case; 2) the facts of her defense attorney's pre-trial investigation and conduct of the trial; 3) the facts, both in and out of court, that surrounded her trial and appeal; 4) the facts of the actual homicide; and 5) the facts of the official investigation into the homicide.

page 31 Discussion about visiting jurors after the trial.

page 41 Arguing ineffectual counsel for the defense NOT realizing they were being sabotaged.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much Sleutherontheside ... excellent work!! I don't know how you found these but I truly appreciate your effort and transcription ! I've been wanting to find out more about Lyon and her "perfect" record ... she sure is getting a lot of exposure in this case but I'm thinking it's not the kind she wanted !!
    Again, thank you and if you don't mind I would like to link to you're thread over on Insessions.
    Maybe you could send these links to Kathi Belich! LOL

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to denjet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by denjet View Post
    Thanks so much Sleutherontheside ... excellent work!! I don't know how you found these but I truly appreciate your effort and transcription ! I've been wanting to find out more about Lyon and her "perfect" record ... she sure is getting a lot of exposure in this case but I'm thinking it's not the kind she wanted !!
    Again, thank you and if you don't mind I would like to link to you're thread over on Insessions.
    Maybe you could send these links to Kathi Belich! LOL
    I am sure that media already reads here. HaHa I don't mind a link to thread. Only to my posts.
    Last edited by sleutherontheside; 01-13-2010 at 10:42 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cyberborg View Post
    I listened to the podcast, interesting.

Cost versus Benefit?

While AL should have known what to expect at this interview she does do herself a dis-service both in terms of the KC case and her book. She definitely needs a PR person as a handler but also needs to try to bring people on board to care about her mission and work rather than be seen as AL against the world and treat it confrontationally.

She needs to educate and raise awareness. I think that the issue is, she took on the KC case to enable publicity for her book but it is a double-edged sword in that while it garners the publicity ..... people are very passionate about the case and Justice for Caylee.

AL needs to pick one. Either promote your book and your anti-DP message OR defend KC. To me they are in conflict since KC is the wrong person to use to gain public support and sympathy that she should not face Murder 1 and the DP. AL needed someone she can soft sell to aid her work not someone who creates such passion.
    Very well put and ITA!
    It's been my thought also that Lyon's exposure in this case has not only hurt her reputation and cause, but also her book sales which she no doubt thought would do the opposite ... I couldn't be more pleased!

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to denjet For This Useful Post:

Smile

I am sure that media already reads here. HaHa I don't mind a link to thread. Only to my posts.
    I think you're right on that LOL ... thanks again!

Thank you, Sleuther-The example that you provided of her inconsistencies gives me some direction of thought, too.
    I have philosophical differences with AL that could, for the most part, be better suited for a different forum here at WS (other than the Caylee forum), so I will try to be as specific as possible as to how her court presentation here contradicts her stated intentions:

-Ms. Lyon sums us female State Attorneys as....men in high heels; Masculine. As if in order to play in that club, you have to be like the boys. Yet she touts her own accomplishments as a successful woman, painting a picture of this magnificent glass ceiling that she has broken. Where's the love, sister?

-Ms. Lyon has referred to jurors as 'killers'-Yet, for KC's benefit, she seeks to strictly define a killer as one who had means and motive, and apparently evidence that ties them to the body (and will tell us KC had neither the means nor the motive and did not place the body). So just for fun, I guess I should ask-Do the jurors have the means to personally murder KC by their own individual hands? Do the jurors have a motive for sentencing someone they never met? Though someone completely different, the executioner, actually euthanizes inmates, can we tie the jurors to the bodies? No. Furthermore, jurors cannot possibly pre-meditate the act of murdering KC, because they don't actually take her life and probably don't know how to give the injection dosage.
    AL does not make the assumption that the jurors serve in good faith, she makes the assumption that they are vicious, want to subvert justice for KC, and want to kill the lowly single mom-
    She takes a confrontational posture with the jurors that goes beyond being KC's advocate-as if she has to rage against the People of Florida's machine.

-I believe she came to Florida to shake things up in the DP arena and she has grown used to arming herself for the fight. She will be more clever than the jurors, she will ask the judge to do things he cannot do (she already has), she will appeal on the basis of things that are not appealable. She will attempt to contort the system and ultimately, she'll throw the jurors under the bus.
    But she needs those jurors, doesn't she? My opinion is that she needs KC to be sentenced to death more, if she is to attain her ultimate goal of abolition of the death penalty. She can use the conviction as a conduit to the higher courts, and get the reversal, the loophole, the precedent she is looking for. Imagine the fame she would have amoungst her colleagues if she found a way to usurp the death penatly laws at the Supreme Court level, setting precedent thereafter. She can't get there without the initial conviction-Maybe she came to town having figured KC would be found guilty, it would be another shot for her, one way or the other.
    Last edited by Just Jayla; 01-13-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jayla View Post
    Thank you, Sleuther-The example that you provided of her inconsistencies gives me some direction of thought, too.
    I have philosophical differences with AL that could, for the most part, be better suited for a different forum here at WS (other than the Caylee forum), so I will try to be as specific as possible as to how her court presentation here contradicts her stated intentions:

-Ms. Lyon sums us female State Attorneys as....men in high heels; Masculine. As if in order to play in that club, you have to be like the boys. Yet she touts her own accomplishments as a successful woman, painting a picture of this magnificent glass ceiling that she has broken. Where's the love, sister?

-Ms. Lyon has referred to jurors as 'killers'-Yet, for KC's benefit, she seeks to strictly define a killer as one who had means and motive, and apparently evidence that ties them to the body (and will tell us KC had neither the means nor the motive and did not place the body). So just for fun, I guess I should ask-Do the jurors have the means to personally murder KC by their own individual hands? Do the jurors have a motive for sentencing someone they never met? Though someone completely different, the executioner, actually euthanizes inmates, can we tie the jurors to the bodies? No. Furthermore, jurors cannot possibly pre-meditate the act of murdering KC, because they don't actually take her life and probably don't know how to give the injection dosage.
    AL does not make the assumption that the jurors serve in good faith, she makes the assumption that they are vicious, want to subvert justice for KC, and want to kill the lowly single mom-
    She takes a confrontational posture with the jurors that goes beyond being KC's advocate-as if she has to rage against the People of Florida's machine.

-I believe she came to Florida to shake things up in the DP arena and she has grown used to arming herself for the fight. She will be more clever than the jurors, she will ask the judge to do things he cannot do (she already has), she will appeal on the basis of things that are not appealable. She will attempt to contort the system and ultimately, she'll throw the jurors under the bus.
    But she needs those jurors, doesn't she? My opinion is that she needs KC to be sentenced to death more, so that she can use the conviction as a conduit to the higher courts, and get the reversal, the loophole, the precedent she is looking for. Imagine the fame she would have amoungst her colleagues if she found a way to usurp the death penatly laws at the Supreme Court level, setting precedent thereafter. She can't get there without the initial conviction-Maybe she came to town having figured KC would be found guilty, it would be another shot for her.

Well done.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

Why don't we just call her like she is: a chameleon-like narcissist, just like her client!
    Last edited by mitzi; 01-14-2010 at 12:41 AM.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mitzi For This Useful Post:

So....this evening I listened to a lecture that AL gave at the Kentucky Public Defender College. This speech was given at a conference back in 2008. Some interesting highlights worth noting..... AL says...and I quote....." My one and only negotiation tool is........****** you, let's pick a jury".

Additionally, she goes into great detail about voir dire and describes part of her strategy.....She knows that each potential juror will be asked what they think mitigation means. Then she obtains transcripts taken during voir dire....when questioning a juror she appeals to them on a personal level from info in their answers given during initial voir dire. She uses the transcripts to find a common ground. She gave an example of a woman she was questioning. She noted that the woman was wearing "sensible shoes", lived in a "racist neighborhood" (in her words...you know the kind where you have to fill out a questionairre to prove how racist you are before you can move in. haha) had a husband who was employed by so and so. BUT, she noted that when the woman got up, she had on a purple slip and she figured this woman must be a nut so she agreed to have her on the jury. According to AL, that woman caused a hung jury and her client got off.

AL also went into explicit detail about how to talk up the "bad photos" that the pros will present. Her advice is to make them seem far worse than they really are so that the jury will be disappointed that they were not as bad as they anticipated. She advises beginning this set up in voir dire and in opening.

For more juicy tidbits go to link and listen to the lecture.

http://recordings.talkshoe.com/rss48591.xml
    BBM

Still working my way through the last half of the lecture but this made me wonder how on earth she intends to "talk up the bad photos" of Caylee so the jury will actually think that those autopsy photos of this poor baby are really not that bad after all ??? This strategy of shock them now, so they won't be shocked later is going to backfire in this case, I have a feeling ... Maybe Lyon has another strategy for innocent two-year olds who have been duct-taped to death and thrown away ??

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to denjet For This Useful Post:

Angel Who Cares is offline If you seek an angel with an open heart, you shall always find one.
    sleutherontheside Thanks So Much For The Links!
    I hope you don't mind I added them to the Main Media & the Astrology Time-Stamped threads for future reference etc.!

Now I hope to be able to listen all the way through without losing my internet connection! O/T: My net card & router are not working, but my parents laptop has been able to connect to an unsecured weak & unreliable connection nearby!

I appreciate everyones posts discussing the audio, esp. in case my connection won't stay long enough to listen without it taking hrs to get through while waiting for the laptop to reconnect again.

I should have my PC fixed by the weekend....Boy do I miss my 28" HD flatscreen monitoras well. Sorry for my rant about my PC probs...it's really getting to me since I have dealing with it for several weeks now. Posting can be a nightmare or not depending on the connection!

Had to try to post you & thank you for your wonderful sleuthin & sharing what you have found with all of us! Better post before I lose my connection!

's & 's For You sleutherontheside!

ETA: Here's a direct audio link to the 1/12/10 Show for future reference!

The Steve Malzberg Show-January 12,2010-Hour 2 1/12/10
    Steve speaks with Andrea Lyon, author of Angel of Death Row, discusses
    her book and avoids any questions regarding the Caylee Anthony Case

Audio Link:
    http://www.wor710.com/topic/play_win...udioId=4311671

Last edited by Angel Who Cares; 01-14-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    <div style=text-align: center;><a href=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=605&pictureid=4615 target=_blank>http://www.websleuths.com/forums/pic...pictureid=4615</a></div>
    Angels around us, angels beside us, angels within us. Angels are watching over you when times are good or stressed. Their wings wrap gently around you, whispering you are loved and blessed.
    -- Angel Blessing

45. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Angel Who Cares For This Useful Post:

I hope Judge Strickland is taking note of all the time AL is spending traveling and doing interviews. IIRC she had the trial pushed back because she would be too busy TEACHING.
    Always ,just my opinion

SPECIAL NEEDS MISSING MAN
    JOHNNY LAMAR BROWN missing since Aug 3rd from MYRTLE BEACH,SC while on a family vacation .Hometown CARTERSVILLE,GA

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181822

We never saw it coming .Please talk to your teen even if you don't think you need to !
    Far more teens commit impulsive suicide without chronic depression
    Miss U James

47. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MissJames For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast