Soul Singer Teddy Pendergrass Dies at 59

Soul Singer Teddy Pendergrass Dies in Pa. at 59

Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass, paralyzed in 1982 car crash, dies in Pa. hospital at age 59

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=9557400

Teddy Pendergrass, who became R&B's reigning sex symbol in the 1970s and '80s with his forceful, masculine voice and passionate love ballads and later became an inspirational figure after suffering a devastating car accident that left him paralyzed, died Wednesday at age 59.
The singer's son, Teddy Pendergrass II, said his father died at Bryn Mawr Hospital in suburban Philadelphia. The singer underwent colon cancer surgery eight months ago and had "a difficult recovery," his son said.
"To all his fans who loved his music, thank you," his son said. "He will live on through his music."

More at link

I sang backup for TP for a week at the Aladdin in Vegas back in the early 80's - before he was paralyzed. He was awesome and sooooo smooth and sexy! I'm so sorry he has passed. What a beautiful, wonderful man!

I sang backup for TP for a week at the Aladdin in Vegas back in the early 80's - before he was paralyzed. He was awesome and sooooo smooth and sexy! I'm so sorry he has passed. What a beautiful, wonderful man!

Wow, Fairy. What an honor.

May Teddy rest in peace. As a fellow Philadelphian I'm saddened to hear this. When he'd belt out that "Close the door baby" nothing could touch it.

Oh no...my heart breaks. One of the very few GREATS.

Sending love & condolences to his family & friends...

RIP Teddy, and thank you so much for all the wonderful music you brought to my ears and to my soul. I'll look for you on the other side.

Wow, Fairy. What an honor.

May Teddy rest in peace. As a fellow Philadelphian I'm saddened to hear this. When he'd belt out that "Close the door baby" nothing could touch it.

ITA He was awsome and sexy even after his accident! This was in 1993 at the Apollo Hall of Fame Concert! Heaven's choir just got even better! RIP Teddy-Thanks for the memories!
[video=youtube;Ykp9QSY-feg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykp9QSY-feg[/video]

R.I.P. Teddy. He was a beautiful man with a beautiful voice. Fairy, do you have any good stories you could share with us about him?

I was thinking when I heard about his death this morning that there really aren't any men in the business today who come close to Teddy P and Luther Vandross.

Oh this made me cry-what a voice, what a voice, what a voice....RIP Teddy. You are finally out of that chair.

OMG - Gone before his time. :(
RIP - Teddy :angel:

I love these. He was so hot.

(no media->)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDkcpQJZbik&feature=related

[video=youtube;IX93gBhTAnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX93gBhTAnM&feature=related[/video]

WOW...That must have been so sweet. He was so sexy.

R.I.P. Teddy. He was a beautiful man with a beautiful voice. Fairy, do you have any good stories you could share with us about him?

I was thinking when I heard about his death this morning that there really aren't any men in the business today who come close to Teddy P and Luther Vandross.

I was part of a small choir that sang backup on Reach Out and Touch. Two shows nightly for a week - and still had to go to school! He was appearing with Stephanie Mills - they had a couple of duets together at that time. We didn't really have a lot of interaction with Teddy but he was very kind - and so was everyone in his band and his backup singers. I can tell you that Stephanie Mills was PAINFULLY shy - couldn't even look at people! She was such a little bitty cutie pie.

One morning during this time, I was walking to my next class at school and one of my teachers literally grabbed me as I walked by her classroom and asked me WTH I was doing singing with Teddy Pendergrass the night before. Guess she had come to the show and saw me! She wanted him - but she was married to the school district superintendent at the time!

It was such an awesome experience and made me a huge, lifelong fan. I'm grateful for his music and believe09 really said it - he's finally out of that chair.

RIP TP.

Fairy, thanks for sharing that. Stephanie Mills was another of my favorites.

Loved, loved, love that voice. I sat up bymyself last night after I heard the news, and just listened to his music on youtube. Love TKO...the best.

Is It Still Good to Ya? My all time favorite. The horns, the back-up singers. So sexy! I watched him perform this one every night I was there - twice - from backstage. Imagine the view from backstage! Need I say more? I may only have been 17, but I wasn't blind!

RIP Teddy. You were one of the greats. Thanks for sharing your story Fairy. It was lovely.

Songline, I enjoyed your videos.

My prayers and thoughts go out to his friends and family. What a talented, wonderful man.

Goz

Thank you for sharing, Fairy.

"When Somebody Loves You Back"

"Love TKO"

I mean how Blessed are we to have loved this music. We have a station here, WDAS and they did an all day tribute to Mr. Pendergrass the other day. He indeed was one of the great voices of that Philly sound.

Thank you for sharing, Fairy.

"When Somebody Loves You Back"

"Love TKO"

I mean how Blessed are we to have loved this music. We have a station here, WDAS and they did an all day tribute to Mr. Pendergrass the other day. He indeed was one of the great voices of that Philly sound.

Love TKO is one of my favorites!!!! He was wonderful and talented. He started out with Harold and the Bluebells.
You are so lucky to have sung back up for him, just to be near him:heart:
I was so sad when I heard he had died, only 59:(

RIP Teddy. You were one of the greats. Thanks for sharing your story Fairy. It was lovely.

Songline, I enjoyed your videos.

My prayers and thoughts go out to his friends and family. What a talented, wonderful man.

Goz
Hi G.... :)
Yes those were great songs. Glad you enjoyed them.

Fairy.
I saw hm once in Vegas, maybe I saw you too. :)
Lucky girl - not only was he hot and sexy his voice was deep and very sweet.
It was the same era as Jon Lucian - another voice that made me go...googoo gaga....
Pie eyed and bushy tailed as they used to say. :) (gone before his time too)

Hi G.... :)
Yes those were great songs. Glad you enjoyed them.

Fairy.
I saw hm once in Vegas, maybe I saw you too. :)
Lucky girl - not only was he hot and sexy his voice was deep and very sweet.
It was the same era as Jon Lucian - another voice that made me go...googoo gaga....
Pie eyed and bushy tailed as they used to say. :) (gone before his time too)

I'm so grateful for that experience. This would have been probably 1981? In the spring at the Aladdin - which is now Planet Hollywood.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back