Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: Meredith Kercher murdered in Perugia, Amanda Knox convicted #3

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    ..."I stand by my statements that I made last night about events that could have taken place in my home with Patrik, but I want to make very clear that these events seem more unreal to me that what I said before, that I stayed at Raffaele's house."....
    otto, you bolded the wrong half of the sentence. I've fixed it.

There's no excuse for holding a man on the basis of AK's statements.

Quote Originally Posted by flourish View Post
    Has anyone ever provided anything to back up the theory that smoking pot can cause you to forget so heartily that one might reasonably forget murdering someone? I'd believe a momentary "where'd that box of Twinkies go?" but an ongoing "did I or did I not kill someone?"...nope.
    I don't know. As I've said, I've had experiences with pot and alcohol where I woke up with nothing more than fleeting images of the night before, but I never killed anybody (or did much of anything else significant) so I can't say whether I would have had special recall of a major event.

And it is widely acknowledged that pot today is much stronger than it was when I was smoking with any frequency (1970s).

To me, AK's testimony speaks more to attempts to divert suspicion from herself (whether she is guilty or innocent) than it does to short-term memory lost caused by drugs. But drug use may have helped, for all I know.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

The blood in the bathroom didn't alarm Amanda, and would not suggest that someone bled to death.
    Not by itself, but once one learned the victim was dead, of course it would suggest bleeding to death. What else would one conclude? Poison?

Amanda's statement that she heard a thud, and evidence on the wall of Meredith's head bashing into it, are an unusual coincidence.
    Coincidence maybe. Unusual? I think not. The word "thud" is too vague.

Amanda knowing that Meredith bled to death when that's what happened is an unusual coincidence.
    No, it isn't. It's the most logical conclusion given that she had seen even a small amount of blood in the bathroom.

We can look at all of the evidence and see unusual coincidences.
    We can, especially if we are bound and determined to find something suspicious in everything AK and RS said and did. Honestly, I think AK would have fewer supporters if people just stuck to the cover-up evidence and stopped trying to make something felonious out of her every remark.

Raffaele told his father that he was finishing up the dinner dishes, but we can wonder if he was merely washing dishes that were unrelated to a late dinner.
    Did RS say that? I don't know. The source you gave me merely said RS told his father he was washing dishes. The meal for which the dishes were used wasn't specified.

I'm seeing that you were pretty adamant that nothing Amanda said should have resulted in Patrick's arrest, so I linked information that she gave to police in her witness statement, and it becomes clear that police had good justification for arresting Patrick. No police force would ignore a witness statement like the one Amanda gave, and no police force would consider her innocent of some participation after providing such a detailed statement.
    No, no police force would ignore those statements. And no competent police force would lock up somebody on the basis of statements when the speaker herself kept reiterating she was unsure they were true.

Of course, LE should have questioned PL and checked out his alibi. It wasn't necessary to lock him up for 2 weeks to do so.

Yes, you're right that most police departments would be suspicious of anyone who made false and/or statements such as those of AK. NONETHELESS, it remains LE's job to corroborate those statements, because by now any qualified officer should know that people lie for a variety of reasons.

This is the case with much of the evidence. When looking only at small parts of the evidence in isolation, it's easier to look at the trial and wonder why Amanda and Raffaele were arrested and convicted. The big picture paints a very different story....
    I don't see the big picture and I'd be happy for you to show it to me. What I see whenever I look at the evidence is a rabbit hole: on the one hand, it seems likely AK was involved somehow (because of the staging that you asked about); on the other hand, I see no reason for her to be involved.

Of course, I'm taking the court's word that no one else had a reason to stage a break in. I haven't had time or resources to actually prove that to my satisfaction. But in answer to your question, i think it's the strongest evidence against AK.
    Last edited by Nova; 12-25-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Amanda arrived home to find the front door wide open. Wouldn't that be sufficient reason to think something was amiss, and maybe look around to see if a burglar was in the cottage? It's a small cottage, and she could not have avoided seeing into Filomina's bedroom with her laptop on the floor and broken glass on top. That would not have been normal, and should have resulted in Amanda calling her roommates. She didn't.
    Not necessarily with college-age kids I've known. They are used to what are basically "communal" living arrangements (the four girls upstairs, boys downstairs); they have few possessions to steal; and they often have parents who will replace anything that goes missing.

Myself, I don't leave doors unlocked even when I'm home (used to live in NYC), but my niece and her college chums are much more casual about such things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    As I just said, I don't have much experience with modern-day pot, which is supposedly more potent, but I tend to agree with you that murdering someone and forgetting it is unlikely. (Though it is the plot of many of film noir.)

did they ever say they were drinking? I am not exactly expert but once in my life I smoked weed and drank also and I could recall only blits and blurbs of the night the next day (which scared the bejesus out of me and I never would do it again) but this convo does make me wonder....if someone had ended up dead that night, I would have known nothing....absolutely nothing.... and having been only 22 myself, and knowing I shouldnt be drinking and smoking weed in a hotel room with many other people...perhaps I would have told a lot of silly stories too....trying to cover up for the drugs and for the shame of having no recollection at all..

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2goldfish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2goldfish View Post
    did they ever say they were drinking? I am not exactly expert but once in my life I smoked weed and drank also and I could recall only blits and blurbs of the night the next day (which scared the bejesus out of me and I never would do it again) but this convo does make me wonder....if someone had ended up dead that night, I would have known nothing....absolutely nothing.... and having been only 22 myself, and knowing I shouldnt be drinking and smoking weed in a hotel room with many other people...perhaps I would have told a lot of silly stories too....trying to cover up for the drugs and for the shame of having no recollection at all..
    And maybe she was involved in a murder and couldn't remember it.
    Buttons updated 10-30-2014 Special Looney Tunes Edition

Made by HD ----->

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

Please continue here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5931043#post5931043"]Meredith Kercher murdered in Perugia, Amanda Knox convicted, now appeals #4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Thanks,

Salem

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728