Identified! CA - Ontario, WhtMale 695UMCA, 17-22, missing lateral incisor, Aug'86 Joseph Pace

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a case that has not received much attention to date:

695UMCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/695umca.html

695UMCA.jpg

Composite of Victim by NCMEC

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on August 21, 1986 in Ontario, San Bernardino County, California
* Estimated Date of Death: Between August 15 and August 18, 1986.
* Cause of Death: Blunt head injury/Homicide
* State of Remains: Advanced state of decomposition

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 17-22 years old
* Estimated year of birth: 1963 - 1970
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"- 5'10"; 130-140 lbs. (most likely)
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair; dark eyes. Medium build; fair complexion. He had two fine scars, about 1” long, running horizontally across the front of his chin. He did not appear to be in poor health or undernourished.
* Clothing: Nude; none found.
* Fingerprints: Fingerprints are on file with California Department of Justice, Missing/Unidentified Persons Unit (P.O. Box 903387, Sacramento, CA 94203-3870: Phone 916-227-3290, Fax 916-227-3270, Email: missing.persons@doj.ca.gov).
* Dentals: He was missing an upper left front tooth and his other upper front teeth had moved crookedly to fill in the space. He still had his wisdom teeth. Tooth #9 was possibly missing congenitally. Dental chart and X-rays are on file with the California Department of Justice, Missing/Unidentified Persons Unit (P.O. Box 903387, Sacramento, CA 94203-3870: Phone 916-227-3290, Fax 916-227-3270, Email: missing.persons@doj.ca.gov).
* DNA: Complete - DNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD (reference #BK-05-000519).

Case History
The victim was located on the morning of Thursday, August 21, 1986, on the bedroom floor in an abandoned house on Holt Boulevard in Ontario, California. He had no identification on him. His fingerprints were not in any database.

==========================================================================================

What do you all think of Christian James Boldt as a possible match?

boldt_christian.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/boldt_christian.html

His height, weight, and age match. The time lag between C Boldt's disappearance and UID discovery is 3 1/2 months. But the DOJ lists him as a runaway, so the time lag is quite reasonable.

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=2749816100235

His profile does not indicate what part of Los Angeles he is from, but the UID was found in Ontario which is a community in San Bernadino County just east of Los Angeles County.

Overall resemblance is fairly close, but not spot on. Boldt's chin looks pointier than the UID's, but that might be exaggerated by the big grin.

Based on the physical description of the body I would say it's worth submitting as a possible match - composites are not that reliable IMO but perhaps the nose is right?

I'd say it's definitely worth submitting. Though it does say the UID prints weren't in any database, do we know for sure that Christian was already entered then???

You know, it always amazes me how little information there is on some of these missing persons. Someone knew these people! Someone went to school with them. Someone was related! Someone was a friend! Where are they? Boggles my mind!!

I like it. He's a good possible.

Snuf

Carl,

I agree with Snuf...I think you should submit it.

Good work!

I just submitted Christian Boldt as a possible match. Here is my e-mail:

Mr. Van Norman:

I am writing in regards to your case (86-3255 / John Doe #27-86) involving a white male unidentified decedent (UID) discovered on August 21, 1986 in Ontario, CA (See link)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/695umca.html

Browsing through missing persons in the Charley Project website, I came across this profile that reminded me of this John Doe

Christian James Boldt

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/boldt_christian.html
http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=2749816100235

Christian Boldt fits the description of this John Doe in the following respects:

• His height (5’8”) is within the estimated height range (i.e., 5’8” to 5’10”).
• His age at time of disappearance (18 yrs) is within John Doe’s estimated age range (i.e., 17 to 22).
• His approximate weight (i.e., 130 lbs) is within John Doe’s estimated weight range (i.e., 130 to 140).
• His last known location was Los Angeles (no indication of which region of Los Angeles), which is probably no more than an hour drive from Ontario CA.
• The circumstances of his disappearance are not mentioned, although DOJ lists him as “Voluntary Missing Adult”. Consequently, the 3 ½ month lag time between C Boldt's disappearance and UID discovery would not seem inconsistent if Mr. Boldt was indeed a runaway.
• The overall resemblance of Mr. Boldt to the computerized depiction of John Doe is fairly close. They both have similar noses, eyebrows, and cheekbone structure. Admittedly, the chins look somewhat different, but may be somewhat explainable by Mr. Boldt’s smile and the unknown accuracy of the forensic sketch.
• There is no mention of whether Mr. Boldt’s DNA profile is in CODIS, although I see that a DNA Profile for the UID is available in FBI NMPDD.

I checked the NamUs website hoping to find a list of persons excluded. However, I could not find a casefile for this UID in NamUs.

I ask that you look into Mr. Boldt as a possible match to this UID.
By the way, I found a Christian Boldt in Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Christian-Boldt/1395602960

He looks to be about the same age as Christian S. Boldt would be now, but it's hard to tell if this is an older version of the same person. All of his facebook friends appear to be European (possibly Scandanavian)

I just received a reply from David Van Norman. He also forwarded me his correspondence on this case from the State of California's DNA lab. I think that he meant to say that there were "startling similarities", rather than "startling differences" in his message below.

Subject: RE: Case 86-3255 / John Doe #27-86 - Possible match to Christian James Boldt - RULED OUT (BY DEFAULT) BY DOJ-DNA

I appreciate your review of public records for possible matches of missing between unidentified persons. We had started comparing these two cases back in 2006, because of the startling differences between them. We were finally informed by the state DNA lab that they were satisfied that there was no match between the two cases, based on the fact that neither the CA DOJ software nor the CODIS software, had matched the two (see the correspondence below).

The NamUs record does not contain an exclusion for Boldt because the investigating agency (LAPD) has never entered Boldt into NamUs – and the exclusions only reflect NamUs records.

I’m not happy with it either, but it is what I am stuck with…

Thank you

David Van Norman
Deputy Coroner Investigator
Unidentified-Missing Person Coordinator
San Bernardino County Sheriff Department - Coroner Division
175 S. Lena Rd., San Bernardino, CA 92415
Main: 909-387-2978
Desk: 909-388-0159
Fax: 909-387-2989
Email: dvannorman@sbcsd.org

From: Jeannine Willie [mailto:Jeannine.Willie@doj.ca.gov]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:40 AM
To: Van Norman, David
Cc: Amanda McDavid; Shuler, Mike
Subject: MP-UP match - MP Christian Boldt (DOB: 05/18/67 - DLC:05/01/86 - LAPD #941738819 - CODIS #MP-06-013

Good afternoon Dave,

The Missing Persons DNA Program (MPDP) will accept evidence for any California "high risk" missing person case and all California unidentified person cases. To be done efficiently all profiles that can be done in an automated means will be done using the CODIS software (for which is was designed), and partial profiles will be done manually on a case-by-case basis. The comparison of profiles by hand is very time consuming and is only done under special circumstances.

Every missing and unidentified person case processed by the MPDP is reviewed by two different Criminalists to ensure the case has been accurately typed. California missing person DNA profiles are cross searched against California unidentified person DNA profiles and vice versa. If no HIT/match is made against a California missing or unidentified person the profiles are uploaded to the FBI's CODIS National Missing and Unidentified Persons DNA Data Bank. Each month all missing persons in the FBI's CODIS National Missing Person Index are cross searched against unidentified persons in the FBI's CODIS National Unidentified Person Index. If there is a match, the law enforcement agency/coroner/ME investigating the missing and unidentified person is notified by telephone and in writing of the match. This search is done every month to include new cases entered. In addition, after each case is typed a "Physical Evidence Examination Report" is sent to the law enforcement agency/coroner/ME submitting the evidence. The report includes information on the type of analysis completed, if there is a match, and/or if the profile has been uploaded to the FBI CODIS National Missing and Unidentified Persons DNA Data Bank.

As of this date and time the MPDP has not heard of any false negatives produced from the FBI's CODIS National Missing and Unidentified Persons DNA Data Bank. Each time you have brought to my attention your concern for false negatives I have passed this information on to FBI representatives and have been informed that they are not aware of ever having a false negative. I will again pass your concern on to them. Due to the high volume of samples received and the number of missing and unidentified persons in the FBI's DNA Data Bank the MPDP cannot manually search every case. If your agency believes that the FBI's CODIS National Missing and Unidentified Persons DNA Data Bank may be producing false negatives and you believe that Los Angeles Police Department Missing Person BOLDT, Christian is the same as San Bernardino County Coroner unidentified person Case # 86 8 3255, then you may want to consider having a private DNA laboratory reanalyze the evidence for both the missing and unidentified person and compare the profiles obtained.

If you need additional information or have any questions, please telephone the MPDP at the number listed below.

Have a great day,

Jeannine Willie
Department of Justice Administrator
Office of the Attorney General
Department of Justice
Missing Persons DNA Program
4949 Broadway Room - A132
Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 227-5997
FAX: (916) 454-5433
Email: Jeannine.Willie@doj.ca.gov

>>> "Van Norman, David" <dvannorman@sbcsd.org> 1/10/2008 12:27:49 PM >>>
Jeannine,

We&#8217;ve talked about DOJ-DNA not wanting to process NCIC matches (or tips from the public) for which DNA has not been processed. However, this is a case for which DOJ-DNA has profiles for both UP and MP (see below). I can assume that since I haven&#8217;t been contacted that they are negative to each other. But, at the same time, I&#8217;m concerned about false negatives.

As you are aware, I have had numerous false negatives from fingerprint runs (local and AFIS), only to find on a one-to-one request, that the matching fingerprints were in the system all along. Depending on who I ask I am told that false negative fingerprint errors can occur between 3% or never (all evidence to the contrary!).

Has either DOJ-DNA or CODIS had any known false negatives? If I have not been contacted can I be 100% confident that the profiles are negative to each other?

MKE/MISSING PERSON ENDANGERED
ORI/CA0194232 NAM/B0LDT,CHRISTIAN JAMES SEX/M RAC/W DOB/19670518
REDACTED AS LAW ENFORCEMENT SENSITIVE

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON DECEASED
REDACTED AS LAW ENFORCEMENT SENSITIVE
DENTAL CHARACTERISTICS - DXR/Y MPA/N DRE/#9 P0SSIBLY MISSING C0NGENITALLY TOOTH
01V 32V
02V 31V
03V 30V
04V 29V
05V 28V
06V 27V
07V 26V
08V 25D
09X 24V
10V 23V
11V 22V
12V 21V
13V 20V
14V 19V
15V 18V
16V 17V
NIC/U748092999 DTE/19940629 0000 EDT
FINGERPRINTS ON FILE WITH ONTARIO POLICE DEPARTMENT (DET. GALINDO)

David Van Norman
Deputy Coroner Investigator/Unidentified-Missing Persons Coordinator
San Bernardino County Sheriff Department - Coroner Division
175 S. Lena Rd., San Bernardino, CA 92415
Office: 909-387-2978
Desk: 909-388-0159
FAX: 909-387-2989
Email: dvannorman@sbcsd.org
Obviously, he is one of those who think that CODIS is not as foolproof as we are lead to believe. From the tone of his comments, it sounded like he he was very confident that he had a match, and he would have liked to see a little more follow-up from the State DNA Lab than just an exclusion by default.

The fact that he included dental records in his correspondence (which he redacted as he forwarded them to me) suggests that he may have had a pretty strong case based on dental info.

This guy showed up in DoeNet yesterday, and this Ontario CA John Doe case came to mind.

John Patrick Nellans

JNellans.jpg
695UMCA.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4368dmca.html
NamUs MP Case 8773 https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/8773/317

This possible would be primarily based on facial shape, age, timeline, and reasonably close geography.

However, he is listed at 72 inches, about 2 inches above the UID's upper limit. But many people who are slightly under six feet tall like to round their listed height up to an even six feet (myself included - although I am a little over 5'11", my driver's license says 6'0").

Looking closely at his photo, I see what might be a horizontal scar just to the right (viewer's left) of center on his chin just under his lip. This doesn't look like the crease that people normally have at that location.

The "advanced state of decomposition" of the UID would probably explain the non-mention of a tattoo or scars on both wrists, or the difference in the shapes of their noses.

I was just going to say that the UIDs nose looks different, less round and turned up. But the eyes, hairline and eyebrows all look similar. I think it's worth submission escpecially since JPN's case was closed and then reopened-they may not have compared him or even had him as missing at the time that the doe was found.

This guy showed up in DoeNet yesterday, and this Ontario CA John Doe case came to mind.

John Patrick Nellans

JNellans.jpg
695UMCA.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4368dmca.html
NamUs MP Case 8773 https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/8773/317

This possible would be primarily based on facial shape, age, timeline, and reasonably close geography.

However, he is listed at 72 inches, about 2 inches above the UID's upper limit. But many people who are slightly under six feet tall like to round their listed height up to an even six feet (myself included - although I am a little over 5'11", my driver's license says 6'0").

Looking closely at his photo, I see what might be a horizontal scar just to the right (viewer's left) of center on his chin just under his lip. This doesn't look like the crease that people normally have at that location.

The "advanced state of decomposition" of the UID would probably explain the non-mention of a tattoo or scars on both wrists, or the difference in the shapes of their noses.

You raise a good point. My younger brother is maybe 5'4 but states hes 5'7 I am 5 1/4 of an inch and he is maybe three feet taller then me at best. He is always listed as 5'7 on government documents. (DOR, Military, etc) Someday I'll find a picture of us together and you will see he is no where near seven inches taller then me. Call him out on it all the time. By the way have an older brother that is 5'4 and claims it and he is taller then my younger brother. Also working in LE see police reports with listed heights and weights. I sell these to the public and the person requesting is seldom correct height or weight.

Wow - that was quick.

I e-mailed this possible to David VanNorman, and he got right back within a couple of hours. He was able to rule out D. Nellans based on irreconcilable inconsistencies in 13 teeth.

He apologized for taking so long (LOL). He says that he was out in the desert recovering skeletal remains.

He also updated NamUs to reflect this rule-out.

NamUs UP Case 982 https://identifyus.org/cases/982

I wish all the jurisdictions were as on the ball as VanNorman is.

Edward Alan Shea???

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/shea_edward.html

shea_edward.jpg
2091554480045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

I tried overlaying the images, and they align quite well if you allow a reasonable tolerance for the fact that Edward's head is turned slightly to his left.

ETA: I sent an e-mail to VanNorman.

The similarities in the teeth are uncanny. According to the Charley Project, Edward Shea was last seen in Las Vegas, which is up I-15 from Ontario, CA

Two exclusions on Namus https://identifyus.org/cases/982 as of 10 August 2014:

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Matthew Garnes 1968 Washington
John Nellans 1966 California

Edward Shea isn't on the list.

I started browsing through yearbooks from Ontario CA to see if I could find anyone with similar teeth.

The first book I checked was the 1984 Canyon View High School yearbook. CVHS is a school for developmentally disabled kids, and quite a few of the students appear to have Down's Syndrome. There are also several kids who have smiles that are badly out of alignment. In fact, the very first photo in the book is of a kid with glasses (his initials are RA) shows him smiling with a wide open mouth, and his teeth are very similar to those of our John Doe.

The photo isn't clear enough to be sure, but this might be a very good place to start when trying to ID this John Doe. He may have been an abandoned developmentally disabled teen or young adult.

I started browsing through yearbooks from Ontario CA to see if I could find anyone with similar teeth.

The first book I checked was the 1984 Canyon View High School yearbook. CVHS is a school for developmentally disabled kids, and quite a few of the students appear to have Down's Syndrome. There are also several kids who have smiles that are badly out of alignment. In fact, the very first photo in the book is of a kid with glasses (his initials are RA) shows him smiling with a wide open mouth, and his teeth are very similar to those of our John Doe.

The photo isn't clear enough to be sure, but this might be a very good place to start when trying to ID this John Doe. He may have been an abandoned developmentally disabled teen or young adult.

There is one guy in the book (initals JS, with a Greek sounding surname), who looks just like our John Doe, and has similarly gapped teeth. However, the SocSec Death Index indicates that he died in 2001. The resemblance is strong enough that it makes me I wonder if his death was verified, or whether (as is sometimes the case) he was declared dead without a body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back