NY NY - Plum Island, BlkMale 45-65, UP6618, @ disease lab site, prior neurosurgery, meds, Jan'10

tehcloser

Reaction score
Jan 15, 3:55 AM EST

Body found on NY's Plum Island, disease lab site

PLUM ISLAND, N.Y. (AP) -- A human body has washed ashore on suburban New York's tiny Plum Island, where the U.S. government has an aging lab for studying dangerous animal diseases.

Police say a security guard on foot patrol discovered the clothed body Thursday afternoon on the southwest beach area of the island, where access is restricted.

Police say the partially decomposed body was that of a white male about 6 feet tall with a large build and very long fingers. They say there were no obvious signs of trauma.

The Suffolk County medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PLUM_ISLAND_BODY?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I wonder if that's the fisherman who washed off a boat off Nantucket in a storm a couple of weeks ago? Seems like the wrong direction for the currents, but everything's been screwy this winter and he hasn't washed up in the expected places.

I'm hoping it rings a bell with someone......wasn't real sure where to put it. Is there a thread for the fisherman? TIA

I'm hoping it rings a bell with someone......wasn't real sure where to put it. Is there a thread for the fisherman? TIA

I doubt it. I can't even find the local news article right now -- fishermen going overboard are such a common occurrence in New England that they don't usually make the news beyond their local community.

update -- found it. My bad, it was Narragansett, not Nantucket:

http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/11/fisherman-missing-in-waters-of.html

But that's even closer to where the body was found.

Is your first post your typo or was there a correction in the news article?

Someone changed the ethnicity of the victim from white to black.

-black
-5 feet, 10 inches tall, 160 - 190 pounds
-50-70 years
and between 50 and 70 years old
- a light green, three-button shirt with dark green horizontal stripes
-green cargo pants with buttons inscribed "God Body Collection," -size 10 brown loafers
-blue plaid boxer shorts
-a belt with a buckle inscribed "Stacy Adams."

-a well-healed head injury
-prior neurosurgery
-took Dilantin and Phenobarbital
http://newsblog.projo.com/2010/03/body-found-on-plum-island-ny-c-1.html

I am surprised that this body has not been identified yet - makes me wonder if he has even been reported missing. Surely someone some where must wonder what has happened to him?

Yes, surprised he has not been identified. I am not a Dr, but I thought Phenobarbitol was used for seizures. Dilantin is too. Maybe this man had a seizure and fell off a boat or something.

If he had a head injury and indications of neurosurgery, that could mean he developed seizures as a consequence of the accident?

True, or he had surgery to control the seizures. I had an old boyfriend who had a problem with seizures and had surgery to minimize them. I noticed that he was partially decomposed--was he actually found in the water or on the beach (washed up from the water) or was he found further up from the water (meaning--did he somehow walk or was brought to that area?)

If he had a head injury and indications of neurosurgery, that could mean he developed seizures as a consequence of the accident?

True, or he had surgery to control the seizures. I had an old boyfriend who had a problem with seizures and had surgery to minimize them. I noticed that he was partially decomposed--was he actually found in the water or on the beach (washed up from the water) or was he found further up from the water (meaning--did he somehow walk or was brought to that area?)

I thought after the surgery to control the seizures A person wouldnt need to take both of the medications any longer? My daughters, I wish she would break up with again boyfriend, had that surgery done and does not take the meds at all. Did your ex have to take meds still ?

My dad started having seizures about 10 years ago and had a shunt put in his head to drain the fluid from his brain (which was causing his seizures) He still has to take Dilantin. We actually found out that my dad has a genetic seizure disorder.. It's kind of scary because he didn't start having seizures until he was in his early 40's, along with his two brothers and my grandma.

My best friend's husband had glioblastoma (a form of brain cancer) and was also on Dilantin for seizures. He had surgery twice to remove parts of the tumor that they could. He battled brain cancer for 10 years and passed away at the age of 40 in Nov 2009. He actually died while having a seizure. He was the best person in the world and is an inspiration to everyone..

A person that is on Dilantin or seizure meds would have to see a Neurologist every so often and they need bloodwork to make sure the levels are where they are supposed to be, so wouldn't you think he would be missed by someone?

That is similar to what happened to my old BF. He had parts of his brain removed, but still had to take meds (although I do not know which ones.) because he still had seizures, just not as many or as strong.

My dad started having seizures about 10 years ago and had a shunt put in his head to drain the fluid from his brain (which was causing his seizures) He still has to take Dilantin. We actually found out that my dad has a genetic seizure disorder.. It's kind of scary because he didn't start having seizures until he was in his early 40's, along with his two brothers and my grandma.

My best friend's husband had glioblastoma (a form of brain cancer) and was also on Dilantin for seizures. He had surgery twice to remove parts of the tumor that they could. He battled brain cancer for 10 years and passed away at the age of 40 in Nov 2009. He actually died while having a seizure. He was the best person in the world and is an inspiration to everyone..

A person that is on Dilantin or seizure meds would have to see a Neurologist every so often and they need bloodwork to make sure the levels are where they are supposed to be, so wouldn't you think he would be missed by someone?

He had no teeth antemortem

A craniotomy describes the method for accessing the brain... you could have brain surgery for any number of reasons and you would have a craniotomy, unless they could access the area some other way, e.g., through your nose or the roof of your mouth. He could have had TBI, temporal lobectomy for seizures, a tumor removal... If he had healed head trauma, my guess would be he had a TBI/closed head injury that either caused fluid build up or damage that lead to seizures. They'd have been able to see a temporal lobectomy for temporal lobe seizures at autopsy unless there was too much decomposition.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back