A bigger picture - What every MP investigator/family member must know

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The attached documents were forwarded to me by David Van Norman, Deputy Coroner Investigator of the San Bernadino Sheriff Department - Coroner Division. Even though they are a bit lengthy, I strongly recommend them to all websleuthers who are trying to match MP cases to UID cases.

View attachment 7137 View attachment 7138

The PDF file is a summarized version of the 16-page MS Word document. It is somewhat of a lengthy read, but well worth the time for those of us who are working hard to try to match MP cases to UID cases. Some of his key points are as follows:

• Although some states (including California) prohibit LE agencies from refusing to file a MP report, many law enforcement agencies treat Missing persons cases with very little enthusiasm.
  • The ME's and LE Agencies spend very little or none of their time actually trying to manually compare MP cases to UID cases. They rely upon the National database applications to do that job for them.
  • Not enough of the LE agencies take the time to submit all MP data to the national databanks (e.g., AFIS, CODIS, NCIC, NamUs), thereby negating the ability of the national databases to do what they were designed to do
  • Of the more than 110,000 unsolved MP cases in the U.S., the casefiles include identifiers at the following rates:
    • Dental Info - 4%
    • Fingerprints - less than 1%
    • DNA - Less than 1%.
    This explains why there are over 40,000 unsolved UID cases in the U.S.
  • When evaluating information on a MP, don't accept all of the information, such as the Date of Last Contact (DLC), unquestioningly. Often. LE agencies confuse this for the date for the MP case was reported, not the date that the MP was last seen alive. He speaks of one Alaska MP case that he matched to a San Bernadino UID because he persisted on the case even though the recorded DLC was after the date of death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back