Love Story author Erich Segal dies aged 72

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com
LONDON—Erich Segal, the author of the hugely popular novel "Love Story," has died of a heart attack, his daughter said Tuesday. He was 72.

Francesca Segal said her father died Sunday at his home in London. She said he had suffered from Parkinson's Disease --a neurological condition that affects movement -- for 25 years. His funeral was held in London on Tuesday, she said.

Segal was a Yale classics professor when he gained nationwide fame for the book "Love Story" about a young couple who fall in love, marry and discover she is dying of cancer.

The book was turned into a hit film in 1970, starring Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw. It gained seven Oscar nominations -- including one for Segal for writing the screenplay, as well as for best picture, best director and best actor and actress (O'Neal and MacGraw.) It won one Oscar, for best music.

Its most famous line -- "Love means never having to say you're sorry" -- became a national catch phrase.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2010/01/19/love_story_author_erich_segal_dies_aged_72/

I fell in love with young Ryan O'Neil in this film and wanted to be Ali McGraw... I was only 9 years old and I loved that movie!

RIP Mr. Segal...

I too fell in love with the young Ryan O'Neil in Love Story. I loved Ali in the story too.

Movies like Love Story are hard to come by now a days too. They just don't make them like they did once. Maybe I will rent it again.

Erich was a great writer. I loved his books.

May he rest in peace.

Goz

I too fell in love with the young Ryan O'Neil in Love Story. I loved Ali in the story too.

Movies like Love Story are hard to come by now a days too. They just don't make them like they did once. Maybe I will rent it again.

Erich was a great writer. I loved his books.

May he rest in peace.

Goz
ME TOO :) Gozgals.
I don't think anyone will ever forget that movie, I can still feel it just by thinking of it, and you are right Movies like that are hard to come by. it is a classic. and they were both fantastic in it and who can forget this line too: "Love is never having to say I am sorry",
I don't agree with that line, but I sure agree with how it was said in that movie. SAD :(

Sadly enough he had a real life LOVE STORY just like the movie with beautiful Farrah :(

RIP Erich Segel - you did understand love and that is awesome. :blowkiss:

RIP Erich Segal...

You made an impact on many lives, mine included.

A Classics Prof turned fiction author...always loved that about you!

Condolences to his family & friends.

I saw Love Story at a drive-in in Conneaut Lake Pa. I was so taken with Ali Macgraw's clothes!! I was probably 10 or 11. I couldn't wait to "grow up" and dress like that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back