Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Rampage, Appomattox, VA

CNN reporting that he has turned himself at this time, what ever that might have involved, no further information given really.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/News...3294/#comments

UPDATE 7:56 a.m.

The man police believe shot and killed eight people in Appomattox County before hiding in the woods overnight has been taken into custody.
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

peace_gurl is offline <<<<<I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.--
    He was wearing a bullet proof vest. ~sighs~
    Wonder if it was planned. ~shakes head~
    "You have the power to change someone's world by being a donor. It's about living. It's about Life."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peace_gurl For This Useful Post:

<snip>

Appomattox slaying suspect may have left bombs near house
    Authorities still do not know the motive for the shooting or how the suspect was related to the eight victims.

APPOMATTOX -- Bomb teams searched Wednesday for explosive devices that may have been planted by a man accused of shooting eight people to death, then firing at a police helicopter before surrendering after a night in dense woods.

Authorities earlier said Speight had a high-powered rifle and Staples said investigators believe he had weapons training based on the weapons found in his home, though they have no information to indicate he was in the military.

Speight's uncle, Jack Giglio of Tampa, Fla., said his nephew was a deer hunter, though as far as he knew Speight did not have any specialized weapons training.

"We're shocked, of course," Giglio said. "I'm not aware of any problems with him. It's kind of out of the blue. We're still trying to pick up facts too."

Giglio said he hadn't seen Speight since 2006, when they both attended the funeral for Speight's mother, who died of brain cancer.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233632
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 01-20-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: addl info
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

From Oceanblueeyes' link:
    Anderson said Speight talked to her husband Saturday night about an apparent family dispute involving the home, which was left to Speight and his sister after his mother died.
    Speight’s address, 3030 Snapps Mill Road, was listed for sale in 2009, in Yahoo.com’s real estate ads. The building was listed as a three-bedroom, three-bathroom home, sitting on 34 acres of wooded land.
    (bbm) http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/News...3294/#comments

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:

peace_gurl is offline <<<<<I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.--
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...&id=1365462297

One of his victims. Please pray for my aunt's family.
    He was just visiting his girlfriend Em.
    "You have the power to change someone's world by being a donor. It's about living. It's about Life."

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peace_gurl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    From Oceanblueeyes' link:
    So if this was a family dispute over the home and land then why did he murder his wife and son?

I do know that disputes over property can become very dangerous for all parties involved.

It reminds me of the case here years ago where a guy in Mississippi, iirc, was cut out of his adopted father's Will and he murdered the man who was given the property, his wife and their 4 year old child too.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Christopher Speight

Photo of the suspect under arrest:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...shootings.html

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peace_gurl View Post

I am so sorry to hear this peace.

I will keep them in my prayers.

imo

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peace_gurl View Post

I am so sorry to you.
    He looks like a nice young man who had a lot of life ahead of him.
    So senseless.

Through his girlfriend's page, I saw that 4 people were confirmed amongst the dead, including the victim you listed above
    I haven't seen an official list of those who died, so I'll refrain from posting the names right now but it does seem like two teenagers and 6 adults.

Why??
    Just crazy.

I have you and your aunt's family in my thoughts and prayers.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:

his wife, sister, brother in law, twin boys, a girl, a teenaged boy, and the man they found in the ditch... heard it was over some land??
    神は偉大であるあなた、私の昼と夜腕時計を祈る。アーメン!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NativeGirl For This Useful Post:

"We did some digging in the records and found out that last year he filed paperwork for a renewal of a concealed weapons permit and it was approved. He also filed for permits in 2004 and 1999.

Investigators say he was acquainted with the victims and he had lived at the residence where the murders took place. He co-owns the house and the land adjacent to that residence.

We've also found out there is no significant record of him in the Appomattox County court system - just a speeding ticket from more than ten years ago."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/wtvr-appo...tory?track=rss

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:

I think this is his mother's obituary from 2006.... the one who owned the land that is being thought of as part of the dispute:

"Appomattox, Virginia -- Susan Giglio Gramelt, 61 died Monday, Dec. 18, 2006 in Marietta, Ga.,

Born in Allentonwn, Pa., Oct. 18, 1945, she was the daughter of John S. and Violet Hathaway Giglio of Virgina Beach.

Susan was a teacher at Appomattox Middle School for 17 years.
    She was a member of Kingdom Hall, Rustburg.

In addition to her parents she is survived by he son, Christopher Bryan Speight of Appomattox: a daughter, Lauralee D. Sipe and son-in-law, Dwayne Sipe, of Marietta, Ga; and two brothers, Jack Albert Gilglio and Thomas S. Giglio.
    "

http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/hathaway/Giglio.html

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:

A Facebook memorial has begun and 5 of the victims have been named. I also saw on another page two other victims names. Still trying to figure out the 8th person and their relation to the POS shooter.

Here's the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=262222783532

Next of kin have been notified in the case of two of the teenagers, as their family posted their names on a Facebook page.
    I am still not going to post their full names yet until the press does but it's very sad and this shooting rampage was so very unnecessary.

Initials of those victims I have for sure:
    EQ (friend of MD, unsure of relationship to shooter)
    JQ (father of EQ?)
    KQ (mother of EQ?)
    BS (boyfriend of EQ, friend of MD)
    MD (possibly niece of shooter)
    LSD (just added -- possibly sister of shooter)
    Last edited by PrayersForMaura; 01-20-2010 at 03:05 PM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to give a little more information that is not being reported in the news for obvious reasons at this time. I live in Appomattox, everyone knows everyone here. 3 of those killed were good friends of my nephew. Among the dead are 3 teenagers, one 3yr old, and 4 adults. These are not all family members. I'll try and explain the best that I can. The shooter (cowardly monster) lived in a home with his sister, his sisters 15yr old daughter (Morgan) from a previous marriage, his sisters new husband and his sisters 3 year old fathered by her new husband. He shot and killed all of them. The other family consisted of a mother, father, 15 year old daughter (Emily) and her boyfriend 15 year old (Bo) All of the schools were out for teachers work day yesterday, Morgan, Emily and Bo are close friends with each other. Morgan and Emily were on the phone with each other when Morgan invited Emily and Bo to come over to the house. Because none of the teens are of driving age yet, Emily's Mom and Dad carried Emily and Bo over to Morgans home. They arrived at Morgans home (where the shooting occurred) approx. 30 mins from their phone conversation. When they arrived, they were not aware a shooting was going on or had just occurred in the home obviously, when they were getting out of the car the shooter (Chris Speight) opened fire on them, killing all but Bo instantly. Bo was found by a postal worker delivering mail to that address, still barely alive laying in the road with a gun shot to the head. He never made it to the hospital and was pronounced dead on the way. Right now, the area is still locked down, because it is reported here on the news that authorities have reason to believe the shooter may have planted explosive devises in and around the home, also in the wooded area he hid in through the night...this is why the coroner is still unable to retrieve the bodies as of 9:30 am this morning. They have been in the home to confirm casualties, families of deceased have been notified and confirmed, but they can't remove them until the area is deemed safe and free of explosives...this is all I have for now, will update as news comes in. This is really the most horrible thing that has ever happened here, it's devastating. All of these teens were happy go lucky, very good kids and all of them were looking forward to taking their behind the wheel class with Bo's beginning next week. How anyone could snuff the life out of these kids and that precious 3 yr old boy is beyond comprehension. I did not know the shooter well at all, only knew him as one of our customers who we found to be very friendly and easy to work with...we never got the impression he was weird or different in any way. His family members were all just as wonderful, so it seems so bizarre to us that he was really a wacko monster type...guess you just never know these days.

30. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Cerenity2u For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for the details Cerenity2u.

This is a horrible, senseless tragedy.

My condolences to all families involved and prayers that this town can work through the aftermath of this horrid crime.

Sad days ahead, I'm afraid.

Sincerely,
    fran

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

I am posting back to back as just before I went to send my last post, we heard a very loud explosion, we immediatly ran outside to see if we could hear anything else or tell exactly what it was...our pipe line exploded here last year, so that was our first thought..hubby works there and he assured us by phone it is not the pipeline. The explosion did come from the direction in which they are searching for possible explosive devices from the shooter though...lots of phone calls going on now, but nobody seems to know what it is...will update if I hear anything more on it.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cerenity2u For This Useful Post:

this is awful. condolences to all the victims families.
    and in such a historicaly signifigant area. does the courthouse still stand?
    maybe they can hang him outside of it.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:

Thank you Fran. You know we always see and hear of this happening in other cities, counties and states and our hearts always goes out to the victims and their families..such sad, sad, scary times for them all. Never in our wildest dreams did we ever think something like this would actually happen here. Sadly this type of thing is happening far too often these days, wish we knew how to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Thanks so much for the details Cerenity2u.

This is a horrible, senseless tragedy.

My condolences to all families involved and prayers that this town can work through the aftermath of this horrid crime.

Sad days ahead, I'm afraid.

Sincerely,
    fran

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cerenity2u For This Useful Post:

Wow! 2 more explosions a little bit smaller than the first one. I wonder if they found some of the devices and they are detonated them?

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cerenity2u For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cerenity2u View Post
    I am posting back to back as just before I went to send my last post, we heard a very loud explosion, we immediatly ran outside to see if we could hear anything else or tell exactly what it was...our pipe line exploded here last year, so that was our first thought..hubby works there and he assured us by phone it is not the pipeline. The explosion did come from the direction in which they are searching for possible explosive devices from the shooter though...lots of phone calls going on now, but nobody seems to know what it is...will update if I hear anything more on it.
    OhMyGoodness! He turned himself in but he wasn't done accumulating victims!

I pray they're able to uncover ALL of his devices without anyone else getting hurt.

Unbelieveable,
    fran

42. The Following User Says Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

fhc

Wow! 2 more explosions a little bit smaller than the first one. I wonder if they found some of the devices and they are detonated them?
    WoW!

I'm assuming they have the DP? IF they do, I would venture to say he's a good candidate. Especially if those are explosives that he left behind.

fran

44. The Following User Says Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

fhc

It sounds like that may be it Cerenity.

They are probably having the bomb squad detonate them as they find them.

imo

46. The Following User Says Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:

fhc

<snip>

3:23 p.m.

By WSLS News Staff & AP
    news@wsls.com

Police have found several suspcious devices at the crime scene, and will detonate the devices in a safe manner, rather than trying to examine and disarm the devices. Several explosions may be heard in the area of the crime scene.

APPOMATTOX, Va. (AP) - Police say they’ve found a “multitude” of explosive devices at the Virginia home of a man suspected of killing eight people.
    State police Sgt. Thomas Molnar says bomb technicians are detonating the devices to make them safe. There’s no indication any exploded on their own.

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/...omattox/75735/

Maybe this is what you're hearing, Cerenity.
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

48. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

THANK YOU TEXAS MIST...was saying prayers for Cerenity and her community. I will continue to pray for them.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fhc For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast