1000 users online (131 members and 869 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Tornado Warnings in Southern California

Wow. I'm used to tornado warnings where I live now, but in So Cal???
    Not many basements, I wouldn't think.

Residents of many California cities and counties are now bracing for possible inclement weather as Tornado warnings in Southern California are being announced by weather and news stations. A powerful storm seen earlier moving across Los Angeles has brought the possible threat of tornadoes in Orange County and San Diego county.

According to news reports on the Orange County Tornado, wind guests have been reported as exceeding 90 miles per hour in Southern California as these powerful thunderstorms continued. They are reporting that the storm will move into the Southwest overnight bringing areas of Airzona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico valley rain and mountain snow.

They are also reporting a new storm will arrive in California on Wednesday which could be even stronger. This storm will arrive late on Wednesday into Thursday. There's the potential for heavy rainfall and wind damage across many areas due to the severe storms.
    http://www.***********/viewArticle.ac...81474978003614

As I was watching Judge Judy today we got the "News Flash" across the TV about a tornado warning near Long Beach, then a severe thunderstorm heading our way to The Inland Empire which covers Riverside and the San Bernardino areas. I freaked because I live in a Mobile home and I could just see me flying over the rainbow and landing on a witch in the magical land of Oz! And this was just storm #2..The biggest storm (#3) is yet to come!!
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

I know Tornados can happen anywhere but I have never heard of them happening in Southern California. I just had to do a double take to see if they were a watch or warning, yep warning. I hope everyone is safe!

Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post
    As I was watching Judge Judy today we got the "News Flash" across the TV about a tornado warning near Long Beach, then a severe thunderstorm heading our way to The Inland Empire which covers Riverside and the San Bernardino areas. I freaked because I live in a Mobile home and I could just see me flying over the rainbow and landing on a witch in the magical land of Oz! And this was just storm #2..The biggest storm (#3) is yet to come!!
    My husband is on a Navy ship in San Diego. I wonder what they do if a tornado is headed towards them. Haven't heard from him tonight, which is unusual, but not unheard of. When I talked to him yesterday, I could barely hear him because of the wind.

ETA Husband just called. It wasn't even raining at the time.
    Last edited by STEADFAST; 01-19-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post
    Omigosh, the ONE day I didn't get to catch JJ! That said, unlikely we would have received the same alert up here near Santa Barbara, altho we have persistent warnings for coastal and flash floods, high surf, and wind.

At least here, this series of storms seems to be less than originally predicted in terms of rain force and longevity...we'll see what tomorrow brings when #3 is due to arrive. Hoping it isn't too much, for the burn areas especially.

I'll be holding all good thoughts for you, Dolly, as well as for all my neighbors to the southeast. Should you happen to fly-over our home on your magical ride, we'll have the landing pad at the ready! <g> TC!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I know Tornados can happen anywhere but I have never heard of them happening in Southern California. I just had to do a double take to see if they were a watch or warning, yep warning. I hope everyone is safe!
    That's what gets me about the media out here...We should have had a Tornado watch because the conditions were ripe for a tornado and then about an hour later they finally had one touch down. That's when they should have issued the warning! I've lived in Kansas and Oklahoma and at least I learned that from my scary moments in the basements and underneath the stairs!! They had about 6 inches of water on a busy street and there was some fool riding in a canoe with his short little paddles
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

Up North here we had quite the thunder and lightening today and it was close. It was quite dramatic for everyone here, but I used to live in TN, so this was nothing, but I do HATE RAIN!!! That's why I sucked it up and moved BACK to CA. They say the high cost of living here is paying for the nice weather and when the weather is yucky like this, I want MY MONEY BACK!!!!

To some, rain is a refreshing break; it is a welcome cleansing. To me it means car accidents and mold. Glass half empty when it comes to rain.

NOT looking forward to tomorrow's storm - have a lot of driving to do.

They touched down in my area and there have been water spouts in the ocean.

The rain is terrible and the mother of all storms is coming through tomorrow.

Tornado rips through Costa Mesa neighborhood
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...nty&id=7228380

COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- Tornado warnings were out for parts of Orange County this afternoon, and at least two funnel clouds came ashore, causing damage. One was in Costa Mesa.
    Many heard the warnings that a tornado might be heading their direction, but a lot of them dismissed it thinking that tornados don't happen in California. This may not be Kansas or Oklahoma, but around 1 p.m., folks in Costa Mesa got a chance to feel what it is like to live in tornado alley

I've never heard of such a thing and I lived all over California for 39 years! They said we are to expect high winds tonight. <skeery>

I have several family members in southern California. There's kind of a running family joke, where us mid-westerners always say "I just don't know how you can live with the earthquakes," and they respond, "I just don't know how you can live with the tornadoes!" Very weird.

My brother said he was fine there as I called to check up on him. Said he had some rain and winds. I was glad to know he was safe. That was yesterday though. How is the weather today?

Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals View Post
    My brother said he was fine there as I called to check up on him. Said he had some rain and winds. I was glad to know he was safe. That was yesterday though. How is the weather today?
    It rained very hard most of the day down here in South Orange County. But we are bracing for what they say is the worst storm so far heading in tomorrow. some areas will have winds 60-80 mph

there is a police pursuit right now of a murder suspect in Hollywood. This could get really bad in the weather.
    Last edited by JBean; 01-21-2010 at 02:41 AM.

So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
    I live in Redlands, but work near Riverside at March ARB. The base was severly flooded on Tuesday! We were all sent home, except for the mission essential staff. The biggest storm is supposed to roll through this afternoon. We've been tracking on our radars here at work. At least its supposed to be the last of the series of storms!
    The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos. ~Author Unknown

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.

Please let us know as soon as things calm down in CA. Thinking of you all - let us know you're okay.

Signing off now - hope everyone is safe.
    Last edited by Woe.be.gone; 01-22-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: add comment