NC - Joe Wheeler, 13, killed, deputy hurt in Harnett County shootout, 19 Jan 2010

cc81

Reaction score
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7226264

Authorities are investigating the death of a 13-year-old boy after they said he shot a deputy early Tuesday morning.

"When he saw the weapon, he turned to the suspect who pulled a 9mm pistol from his waistband and started firing,"

Rollins said when the deputies searched the suspect's bag; they found 250 rounds of ammunition and a gun. The sheriff said the teen also had two more guns on him.

and of course...
Rollins said the boy's parents did not know not know he was not at home before the incident.

what is going wrong with children and parents.. how did he have access to 3 guns and over 250 rounds of ammunition!!!!

I can't post my personal thought on this, knowing my 11yo daughter lives 20 miles down the road and I objected to my ex moving to this area.... I'd get banned...
this is so sad

oh my! what in the world? It saddens me to read things like this day in and day out. So many questions and so LITTLE answers. Why would a 13 year old have that heavy amount of ammo and guns? Why hide in the ditch? was he scared of someone? was he targeting someone? I just don't understand how at 13 you can 1. FIND the guns and ammo just like that and 2. if you can, where do you get the money for that stuff??

:( such a sad heartbreaking story. I'm sure the deputy and the parents will be left in agony wondering...while the only answers lay in the 13 year...

I am very sorry for the family and friends of this child but I cannot bring myself to have any pity on him. Given the chance he would have taken down the police and probably anyone else who got in his way.

Details emerge about teen killed in shootout with deputies
Harnett County deputy shot; suspect killed

Posted: Today at 11:33 a.m.
Updated: Today at 12:26 p.m.

Lillington, N.C. — WRAL News has learned the identity of an Overhills Middle School student killed early Tuesday in a shootout with two Harnett County deputies.

The State Medical Examiner's Office confirmed Wednesday morning that the body of 13-year-old Joe Wheeler was sent Tuesday from Harnett County for an autopsy.

Harnett County Sheriff's Office investigators have been examining Wheeler's MySpace page to glean information to explain what prompted the confrontation with deputies outside a Cameron convenience store, authorities said.

A MySpace page for someone by the name Joe Wheeler lists Spring Lake as his address and includes comments from friends saying "R.I.P. Joe!"

The author of the page last logged on Saturday, and his comments included posts about being sad and suicidal and a message that says "death will come shortly for the next person who messes with me in the next week."

more here

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6846679/

I would like to know that on earth a 13 year old child is doing sitting in a ditch at 2:25am in the morning with 3 guns and 250 rounds of ammo firing at police. Where the hell are his parents???

I would like to know that on earth a 13 year old child is doing sitting in a ditch at 2:25am in the morning with 3 guns and 250 rounds of ammo firing at police. Where the hell are his parents???

While I do not know the circumstances in this case I can tell you that it isn't always the parents fault. I was a very wild child and from the age of 12 -16 my mother had no control over me. I had the best mother in the world and it didn't matter. I wanted to do what I wanted to do and found a way to do it. What was she supposed to do, stand gaurd all night to make sure I didn't sneak out? Bar the windows? There are good parents out there that have bad kids.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6846679/

updated with picture of the 13 yo, looks much older, jmo

I agree that he does look older than 13. I was a little harsh in my first post and have had a chance for the story to sink in and I wish that this young man had been able to get help so that his story could have had a better outcome.

My heart felt sympathy and concern is focused on the two deputies that were put in such a horrible situation that forced them to kill a child.

I think it's sad that people are so stupid they blame everyone but the right ones for what happen to Joe Wheeler he was a good kid that was tired of being bullied. My child goes to that school they dont care about the children being picked on they let it go on dad after day until these kids cant take no more.Trust me parents talking to them do NOTHING! it still goes on.You cant blame the children of these bullies. Blame the schools the bullies and the parents of these bullies .The only goal these bullies have in life is to bullie. To blame Joe parents for him being out well that's stupid because I remember sneaking out as a teen. I remember as a child being picked on and wanting to die if i had to go to that school one more day.Wishing I could dig a deep hole and jump in and never been seen again. As far as dress and hair goes what does that have to do with anything.When was it wrong to be who you are dress how you want. What a boring world if we all looked the same.There been kids killed because of nice jacket or nice shoes.People like to run there mouth that have nothing to say at lest nothing worth hearing or reading.Like I said my daughter goes to Overhills Middle and knew Joe he was a nice boy not someone in and out of trouble. He was just a kid that wanted to go to school live his life have friends. Not someone that wanted to go to school and get abused everyday of his life. Give this boy a break and his family. I dont blame the police I feel bad for them now they have to live with taking a child's life. It's just a shame that a 13 yr old child felt death was better then dealing with abuse.Now because the schools do nothing a child is gone not the first and not the last but its sad that Joe is gone he was a nice person rest in peace Joe you are loved. You were a person with feelings.Its sad to read all that's wrote about him from people that sorta seem like bullies themselves all the bad things they say about a child they didn't even no. And it come from so called grown up. Now we know were the kids from school learn it from. People should be ashamed.

Kim24md, we are all sorry for your loss. We are all just trying to understand why this happened and what can be done to prevent things like this in the future. Children have to know that this is not the way to solve your problems or we will continue to read stories like these.

<redacted>

These forums are not for family or friends...we are allowed our opinion. I'm sorry for your loss, but don't take it out on us. We all put in hours of our time to help solve crimes, give families peace and soothe the world a little bit. It's never our intention to hurt, and I think that is why Linda7NJ was hurt - as was I. We devote ourselves to this organization and helping.

Edited to Add: There are support forums and we can totally empathize with the pain your daughter and community are feeling...but this isn't the place.

I think kim24md was just trying to point out that some schools ignore bullying and is very sad that this happened.
I would also like to add that I think weapons & ammo are way to easy to get from the streets just as drugs are.

Truthful Lies wrote
These forums are not for family or friends...we are allowed our opinion. I'm sorry for your loss, but don't take it out on us.
WS's is for anyone and everyone who wants to post as long as we follow the TOS.

This is a very sad situation no matter how you look at it. I wish I knew how to save every child on this earth.

Wonders, there are family support forums that do not discuss...that's what I was saying.

<redacted>

OK stupid might not have been the right word to use.Maybe not knowing what there talking about. I have read so much trash about this kid he made a mistake he suffered with his life.But he was pushed over the edge. I just think blame should be put were it belongs thats with the school and the bullies. Not him not his parents not the police doing there job. The truth i hope all comes out.Not that it matters because as long as bullies do what they do there be more dead children.Go online and do a search on children dead by bulling.See all the children that have killed themselves or have died due to the hands of bullies. They are children they don't have the skills that adults have to deal with it. They take everything to heart.The schools dont want people to know all that goes on because then they wont get there money from the state because there a drug free safe school.So it's the money that so important not this children's lives and mental health.It's just wrong.It's not about the kids its about the money.

He had that much ammo, in public, going to take someone ELSE'S life, sorry if i can't find pity for THAT part of the story. Listen, it's tragic, I understand that, but at the same time, it's not like outrage isn't provoked!

OK stupid might not have been the right word to use.Maybe not knowing what there talking about. I have read so much trash about this kid he made a mistake he suffered with his life.But he was pushed over the edge. I just think blame should be put were it belongs thats with the school and the bullies. Not him not his parents not the police doing there job. The truth i hope all comes out.Not that it matters because as long as bullies do what they do there be more dead children.Go online and do a search on children dead by bulling.See all the children that have killed themselves or have died due to the hands of bullies. They are children they don't have the skills that adults have to deal with it. They take everything to heart.The schools dont want people to know all that goes on because then they wont get there money from the state because there a drug free safe school.So it's the money that so important not this children's lives and mental health.It's just wrong.It's not about the kids its about the money.

Kim...I have to wonder about your state of mind and am worried about you. There are millions of kids that are/were bullied and never would have dreamed of doing this stuff. Including me.

It has nothing to do with bullies - it could have been a workplace fight 5 years later...this is the fault of the individual, and the individual ALONE.Yes, if he had mental health issues (including not being able to deal with a common occurrence, if it was indeed just regular bullying) he should have been treated. Millions fall through the cracks, but I do think his parents ought to have known his state of mind better than anyone. Again, the child's fault alone. Every single school system deals with bullies...have since the invention of schools.

I feel sorry for you there are abused women out there that have taken all they can from there abusive bulling spouse and the only thing that saved them was killing them. I have never said Joe's actions were right just that its sad that he was put there by bullies. As far as the schools go you either have never had children in school or maybe they were the bullies. Because I know for a fact they do nothing to these kids for what they do. I go through it along with my child every day. Its very sad how a happy kid can be put down to the point they hate school dont want to go and cry because they have to.So you talk to the school and nothings done.My child told me they didn't care how right she was. By the way if I had done a child or and adult like these bullies do I would be arrested for abuse. That's your common occurrence ABUSE.

Kim...I have to wonder about your state of mind and am worried about you. There are millions of kids that are/were bullied and never would have dreamed of doing this stuff. Including me.

It has nothing to do with bullies - it could have been a workplace fight 5 years later...this is the fault of the individual, and the individual ALONE.Yes, if he had mental health issues (including not being able to deal with a common occurrence, if it was indeed just regular bullying) he should have been treated. Millions fall through the cracks, but I do think his parents ought to have known his state of mind better than anyone. Again, the child's fault alone. Every single school system deals with bullies...have since the invention of schools.

I get what Kim is saying and I have to agree with most of it. I don't think any of us know at this point if it had to do with bullies or not. We are talking about a middle school kid who is still developing emotional, mentally, rationally, and so on. I find it odd that anyone would right away say things like these parents should have known better, they should have known where there son was, they should known his state of mind. I have to strongly disagree until we have all the facts to make assessments or comments like that. I love the saying "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks". How sad this story is for all who are invovled!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back