KS KS - Rachel Pratt, 15, Garden City, 16 Jan 1995

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583557,00.html

21 Jan 10

Garden City police say they continue to work on the case of a 15-year-old girl who disappeared in 1995.

Rachel Pratt was last seen watching a movie inside her family's Garden City home about 1 a.m. Jan. 16, 1995. She was several months pregnant when she disappeared.

Police Capt. Mike Utz says the department hasn't had a reported sighting of Pratt for several years. But he says investigators remain hopeful that she may still be alive.

Pratt's mother, Jan Ramirez, says she still prays for her daughter and still misses her. She continues to hope that Rachel is still alive and will someday contact her family.

no pic at link

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1317dfks.html

Rachel Geraldine Pratt
Missing since January 16, 1995 from Garden City, Finney County, Kansas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 8, 1979
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7" (170 cm); 125 lbs (57 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Dentals: Available
Other: She was four to five months pregnant at the time of disappearance.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Pratt was last seen on January 15, 1995, in Garden City, Kansas.
Pratt disappeared at a time when her 18-year-old boyfriend was being prosecuted for having unlawful sexual relations with her when she was a minor. Because she vanished, there was no witness against him and charges were dropped.
Pratt hasn't tried to get another birth certificate, a driver's license or Social Security card. There is no record Pratt ever delivered a child.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Garden City Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
620-276-1300

Agency Case Number: 950160040

NCMEC #: NCMC799278

NCIC Number: M-799958069
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
CA DOJ
The Garden City Telegram

They seem to be treating this as a runaway. Why??? The pregnancy was not a secret by the time she disappeared...bf was alleged father of baby she did not run away with him...she has never gotten a F
DL, birth certificate or SS card. No record or evidence that she ever gave birth to a baby. Almost 18 years and she has not surfaced nor has there been any new evidence in the case?

Maybe she dropped the baby off at a church after she had it. Are they required to report that if someone does.

I'm so surprised that this case has so little information and seemingly little public interest. It doesn't seem like the typical runaway case to me at all. If Rachel were to runaway, wouldn't she go with her boyfriend? Wouldn't that be the only motivation for her to voluntarily leave? Considering she was to testify against him in court?

On her Charley Project page it states that she was allegedly seen five days after her disappearance with her boyfriend, by a group of girls who claim to have spoken to her.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pratt_rachel.html

I'd like to know what happened to her boyfriend/ father of her unborn baby in the many years since her disappearance. Has he every really been investigated by LE, as a potential suspect in Rachel vanishing? It's possible he spent a few days with her after she first disappeared (a few people saw them, I tend to think this could be true and it was them) and then harmed her sometime after.

I'd like to know what happened to her boyfriend/ father of her unborn baby in the many years since her disappearance. Has he every really been investigated by LE, as a potential suspect in Rachel vanishing? It's possible he spent a few days with her after she first disappeared (a few people saw them, I tend to think this could be true and it was them) and then harmed her sometime after.

We should look for news sources to see if he was ever named as a POI.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

JMO. It seems to me this boyfriend or a close relative or friend murdered her and disposed of the remains in some place where they would be incredibly hard to find. And to the BF's benefit no criminal charges, no child support. A good old-fashioned interrogation may help more than anything, especially if they bring the BF in with absolutely no warning. No news articles about cold cases, etc. JIM.

54cc4935cc4fd.image.jpg
Police still looking for missing GC woman after 20 years
http://www.gctelegram.com/news/loca...cle_038050cd-b80e-5701-9b69-9eb39b75b3a5.html
Twenty years have gone by since the disappearance of 15-year-old Garden City girl Rachel Pratt, but for her mother, Jan Ramirez, the pain is still raw. She still holds onto the hope in her heart that her daughter will come home one day. Pratt disappeared Jan. 16, 1995. The case turned 20 years old this month.

“When it first happened, we thought it was a temporary thing,” Ramirez said. “We thought it would never go on year after year after year.”

The police department still calls her often. They give her a call once a year to tell her they are still following up on leads.

From article posted above:
“We don’t know if she’s alive. We suspect foul play, but there’s nothing definitive to show what happened to her,” he said. “We have talked to the boyfriend on occasion. We cannot rule him out, but we cannot say he is involved because we are still trying to find out if she left on her own accord.”

I the article it states that the boyfriend's mother was verbally bau dive to Rachel, calling her a liar and that her son held no responsibility. The boyfriend made a statement and did not dispute the relationship. I have a feeling that the boyfriend's mother took matters into her own hands, and took care of the problem....maybe the family offered to have her stay at their place while the kids decided what to do, or something. JMO, of course

still missing:

17696033_G.png
17696034_G.png

Rachel Pratt left personal belongings at her home in Garden City and was last seen on Jan. 16, 1995.

Around that time, family found out Rachel was pregnant. Yet, there is no record she has given birth. It’s believed that at one point, she may have stayed in the Kansas City-area, but there have not been any reported sightings of her for years.

Missing in Kansas: Rachel Pratt

Would love to get this case more coverage. It’s always sad to me when a case falls off the radar and it seems like this one basically has.
I went to school with her and some of the things in articles are ridiculous at best. The truth needs to come out and I don’t think it will be found where they have looked.

Rachel Geraldine Pratt
rachel_geraldine_pratt_1.jpg
pratt_rachel2.jpg
rachel_geraldine_pratt_3.jpg

Rachel, circa 1995; Age-progression to age 35 (circa 2014)
  • Missing Since 01/16/1995
  • Missing From Garden City, Kansas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 05/08/1979 (39)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 125 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Rachel in the first trimester of pregnancy at the time of her disappearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Rachel wears contact lenses.
Details of Disappearance
Rachel was last seen watching a movie inside her family's residence in Garden City, Kansas at approximately 1:00 a.m. on January 16, 1995. She disappeared under suspicious circumstances and has never been heard from again. She left all of her clothing and personal belongings at her home, including her identification and Social Security card; only her coat was missing.

Five days after her disappearance, some girls claimed to have seen her talking on a pay phone with her boyfriend. They say she left the phone with her boyfriend after asking the girls for a ride, then went into Dillon's grocery store. The sighting has not been confirmed and her boyfriend denies having been with her after she vanished.

Rachel was supposed to be a witness against her boyfriend, who was being prosecuted for unlawful sexual relations with her. The boyfriend was charged with aggravated indecent liberties with a child. Because Rachel disappeared before she could testify, the charges were dropped.

They started dating when Rachel was a fourteen-year-old high school freshman and her boyfriend was an eighteen-year-old senior. He was her first boyfriend. Her mother found out she was pregnant after Rachel was arrested for attempting to shoplift a home pregnancy test from Wal-Mart. She gave her statement to the police at that time.

There is no evidence to indicate that Rachel has given birth. There is also no record of her ever receiving a driver's license, a copy of her birth certificate, or a Social Security card. She may have remained in the Kansas City area after her disappearance. There have been no sightings of her in many years, but authorities remain hopeful that she is still alive.

Rachel has seven siblings. Her mother still lives at the same address and has kept the same phone number. Authorities believe foul play was involved in her disappearance. Her boyfriend has never been ruled out as a suspect, but he maintains his innocence in her case.

Last updated February 6, 2015 Rachel Geraldine Pratt – The Charley Project

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine