Stuck gas pedal causes 2nd major Toyota recall

Dark Knight

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]NEW YORK – [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Toyota Motor Corp[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. built its reputation in the U.S. as a maker of safe and dependable vehicles, but the quality of the Japanese automaker's fleet continues to be tarnished by serious safety recalls.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Toyota said Thursday it is recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals with mechanical problems that could cause them to become stuck. The announcement comes just months after it recalled 4.2 million vehicles due to gas pedals that could become trapped under [/FONT][FONT=&quot]floor mats[/FONT][FONT=&quot], causing sudden acceleration. That problem was the cause of several crashes, including some fatalities.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Toyota said Thursday's recall is due to potential problems with the gas pedal mechanism that can cause the accelerator to become stuck — regardless of whether the vehicle contains a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]floor mat[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Toyota said in certain rare cases, the gas pedal mechanism wears down, causing the accelerator to become harder to press, slower to return or, in some cases, stuck.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The recall affects the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia. Of these, the Avalon, Camry and Tundra models — encompassing about 1.7 million vehicles — also were included in the previous gas pedal recall. Their accelerator pedals could be at risk both of becoming trapped under floor mats and becoming stuck due to mechanical problems.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100122/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall[/FONT]

I saw this on the morning news. I have a Toyota truck and received a notice of recall for the floor mats going under the gas pedal and the pedal getting stuck. This has happened to me before and normally if I keep pressing the pedal and letting off it will return to normal. I am curious if it was really the floormats or if there is some other defect like on the Toyota cars.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back