VA - Aveion Lewis, 2, Roanoke, 14 January 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving on over :)

Thanks for the new thread Cubby!

Prayers we get some real news about Aveion today.

Salem

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233984

Big article - Info released by CPS

ETA: Oh well...here we all were going off on the Judge... when someone recommended to the court that Aveion be given back to his family...

"...and on Sept. 19, 2009, upon recommendation by the Department, the court returned legal custody of Aveion to Mrs. Lockett."

Roanoke's social services releases more details about Aveion Lewis case.

On March 31, 2009, Aveion was returned to Mr. and Mrs. Lockett's full-time care while the Department retained legal custody. The in-home therapy continued throughout this trial placement.

Additionally, Aveion's foster care social worker continued to make regular visits to the home, both announced and unannounced, to observe how the child was adjusting, and to ascertain that Aveion continued to be healthy and have his medical and nutritional needs met. This trial return home placement was continued for six months, and on Sept. 19, 2009, upon recommendation by the Department, the court returned legal custody of Aveion to Mrs. Lockett.

much more at link.

so it looks like "the department" did recommend legal custody returned to Mrs. Lockett, at least according to the above article. I am understanding the department to mean the social worker who was handling this case, and not the CPS workers. At least that is how I am understanding the news report.

Either the social worker was ignoring problems which occured during the 6 month home placement trial period, or something drastically changed between September 19, 2009 and about January 13, 2010. He didn't even live 4 months after he was returned without supervision.

So very very sad.

The only other news I can find, is police have labeled this a homicide. Nothing new in the article though...... so not linking it. This boys death was no accident.

I pray this leads to an investigation of what went wrong with Aveion, with the agencies that were required to protect him, and where that failure occured so no other child falls through any loop holes in the current laws.

Continued prayers to find Aveions remains.

Originally Posted by MBLover
It was that they do not want help from the public. Apparently several people have called asking if they can volunteer to search. LE doesn't want the public's help at this time.

Ok, I'm confused right now...why wouldn't you want the public to help? I thought they asked the public to help a few days ago or am I imagining I read that somewhere? I don't know about any of you, but this whole case has really affected me. I can't sleep well, I'm really sad and feel like crying all the time, my husband even said the news of Aveion has affected me and he can see it in my face. I can't feel happy about anything because of what's happened to him and for the fact that he is still missing out there somewhere.

Roanoke's social services releases more details about Aveion Lewis case.

On March 31, 2009, Aveion was returned to Mr. and Mrs. Lockett's full-time care while the Department retained legal custody. The in-home therapy continued throughout this trial placement.

Additionally, Aveion's foster care social worker continued to make regular visits to the home, both announced and unannounced, to observe how the child was adjusting, and to ascertain that Aveion continued to be healthy and have his medical and nutritional needs met. This trial return home placement was continued for six months, and on Sept. 19, 2009, upon recommendation by the Department, the court returned legal custody of Aveion to Mrs. Lockett.

much more at link.

so it looks like "the department" did recommend legal custody returned to Mrs. Lockett, at least according to the above article. I am understanding the department to mean the social worker who was handling this case, and not the CPS workers. At least that is how I am understanding the news report.

Either the social worker was ignoring problems which occurred during the 6 month home placement trial period, or something drastically changed between September 19, 2009 and about January 13, 2010. He didn't even live 4 months after he was returned without supervision.

So very very sad.

I just want to add a few things here. 1) Yes, the CPS workers are an entirely different division from foster care, 2) there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that aren't reflected in the presser, and 3) a lot of people were mislead about the circumstances of the transfer of legal custody.

I personally am so disheartened about this poor child and the way things are being handled, even now. I'm also sorry if I have contributed to shifting some of the blame from DSS. I would never intentionally mislead you guys, and worst of all, Aveion has gotten lost in the scramble of all of the different agencies and departments playing CYA. I promise if I can ever share more, I will.

For right now though, Aveion is still missing and the people who loved him are still suffering, and for him and for them, I am not going to waste anymore of my breath defending people who could, and should, have prevented his death.

Beachlvr: I think they asked for the public's help in submitting information - about anything that could lead them to find Aveion.

Just guessing but LE may ask for help sometime in the next week or two if they haven't found him by then. They are using professional searchers and I'm guessing LE doesn't want any contamination of a crime scene by people who might not know exactly what they are doing.

I'm really sad too... Yesterday was a lot of tears for me. The person I know who knows the foster family has said that lots of people from their church have been terribly upset this all of this has gone on. Lots of people are being affected. I may be wrong, but I don't believe I've ever heard of this happening in Roanoke - so I think it's been quite the shock to our community that something like this could happen here.

TY MBLover, I just wish there was something I could do besides pray. Being a mother myself this just rips out my heart. Is there any information on how to get in touch with the foster family to send condolences? I can't imagine what they must be feeling and how much they must have loved him and was heartbroken when they had to give him up to go back home.

I just want to add a few things here. 1) Yes, the CPS workers are an entirely different division from foster care, 2) there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that aren't reflected in the presser, and 3) a lot of people were mislead about the circumstances of the transfer of legal custody.

I personally am so disheartened about this poor child and the way things are being handled, even now. I'm also sorry if I have contributed to shifting some of the blame from DSS. I would never intentionally mislead you guys, and worst of all, Aveion has gotten lost in the scramble of all of the different agencies and departments playing CYA. I promise if I can ever share more, I will.

For right now though, Aveion is still missing and the people who loved him are still suffering, and for him and for them, I am not going to waste anymore of my breath defending people who could, and should, have prevented his death.

snoelle. No need at all to apologize. You have been a tremendous asset here to help us sort this out, answer our questions and explain things. I don't understand the ins and outs of that, so my previous post, was just to ask where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing in so many words. I appreciate very much your knowledge and explaination of these things for those of us without a clue about it such as myself. Right now I am not blaming anyone, outside of the parents - and they are the ones to blame. No one forced their hand.......

I am sorry if my post came across as any differently than I intended. Sometimes I mess up the words and what I am trying to say or express.

I know we are all hurting right now.

I would see if there is a way to contact the foster family, but I wouldn't be allowed by WS rules to post their address here. That pic of Aveion - the link was posted by me and another poster had listed the name of the foster parent along with Aveion's - her initials are M.Y. I don't know if you can do a search of her name and find the contact info or not.

TY MBLover, I just wish there was something I could do besides pray. Being a mother myself this just rips out my heart. Is there any information on how to get in touch with the foster family to send condolences? I can't imagine what they must be feeling and how much they must have loved him and was heartbroken when they had to give him up to go back home.

beachlvr, if I may, I think this is hitting you so hard is because it is so local for you. It's hard for us to imagine this happening in our neck of the woods so to speak. I can completely understand your reaction. If it happened in my "back yard" so to speak, it would affect me much more so too.

If you can, maybe try to find something positive, as I have. What is giving me hope, helping me cope, is the hopes that the 'system' and agencies will be gone over with a fine tooth comb to bridge whatever gaps existed and led to this. For that, it is possible that while we have lost Aveion, perhaps his death will save other children from being turned over to situations that may duplicate what failed here.

:grouphug:

ETA: Maybe call LE and ask where you can make a donation in Aveions name? I really don't know how you could send your condolensces to the foster family. Especially since technically they had no 'legal custody' or anything at the time this happened. Perhaps when snoelle comes back, she can send you in the right direction. I would not attempt to make contact with them. Perhaps, sometime in the future they will come forward in the press. Maybe wait until then?

In the mean time, just pray that little Aveions remains are found. Maybe find out what organizations are searching and see if you can make a donation to that search team.

hth

snoelle. No need at all to apologize. You have been a tremendous asset here to help us sort this out, answer our questions and explain things. I don't understand the ins and outs of that, so my previous post, was just to ask where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing in so many words. I appreciate very much your knowledge and explaination of these things for those of us without a clue about it such as myself. Right now I am not blaming anyone, outside of the parents - and they are the ones to blame. No one forced their hand.......

I am sorry if my post came across as any differently than I intended. Sometimes I mess up the words and what I am trying to say or express.

I know we are all hurting right now.

Don't worry - your post came across just fine. :innocent: I'm just so mad about the whole situation right now I could spit.

As far as the foster parents go, I know they set up the http://www.aveionlewis.org page and a facebook page dedicated to him. I know it's not as personal, but you can leave condolences on those sites. Additionally, it's my understanding that the Jamestown community will be holding a vigil for Aveion tomorrow night (I think at 5:30) in Jamestown. Jamestown usually wouldn't be a place I'd recommend someone unfamiliar with the area go to, especially on a Saturday night, but I think it will probably be safe enough under the circumstances.

Don't worry - your post came across just fine. :innocent: I'm just so mad about the whole situation right now I could spit.

I want to spit too, nails actually. I am doing my best right now to try to fend off the anger. I want to be in the right spirit while praying his remains are found. The tears and anger will come when the trial starts etc. etc. Well, after Aveion is found.

Praying hard!

I would see if there is a way to contact the foster family, but I wouldn't be allowed by WS rules to post their address here. That pic of Aveion - the link was posted by me and another poster had listed the name of the foster parent along with Aveion's - her initials are M.Y. I don't know if you can do a search of her name and find the contact info or not.

I went on aveionlewis.org and posted a message to the family and foster family. I wouldn't want to ever intrude on their privacy, but wanted them to know that there are people out here that care.

As far as the foster parents go, I know they set up the http://www.aveionlewis.org page and a facebook page dedicated to him. I know it's not as personal, but you can leave condolences on those sites. Additionally, it's my understanding that the Jamestown community will be holding a vigil for Aveion tomorrow night (I think at 5:30) in Jamestown. Jamestown usually wouldn't be a place I'd recommend someone unfamiliar with the area go to, especially on a Saturday night, but I think it will probably be safe enough under the circumstances.

I've posted on two sites on facebook. I wanted to go to the vigil but I don't think I could take it.

Hi everyone, just catching up on this thread about little Aveion. Another tragic case of child abuse and neglect.
Seems like this situation is happening a lot these days - or it may be that we are being informed via the media more often.
Another poor child who slipped between the cracks in the social services section of governmental support.
I have a few questions that maybe you all can help with.
1. Where is the mother, and what, if anything, does she say happened?
2. Who exactly saw little Aveion walking and breathing last?
3. When was he last seen by a person outside of the family?
IMO BL does not want the child's body to be found because of what he inflicted physically on Aveion, and as we know, the longer the wait, the more decomposition occurs and less evidence is apparant. He probably did a number on the helpless baby.
What a sad, sad story.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members