GUILTY NY - Aasiya Zubair Hassan, 37, found decapitated, Orchard Park, 12 Feb 2009

(snipped from the article)

Hassan was served with divorce papers a week before his wife's decapitated body was found at the offices of their television station in Orchard Park, the Buffalo suburb where the couple also lived with their two small children and Muzzammil's two teenagers from a previous marriage.
Hassan was arrested after walking into the Orchard Park police station Feb. 12 and telling officers his wife was dead.
The way she died led the state president of the National Organization for Women, Marcia Pappas, and others to label Aasiya Hassan's death an "honor killng," which Pappas said appeared to be rooted in Muslim notions about women's subordination to men. Harrington dismissed the theory early on and domestic violence advocates cautioned against shifting attention from the universal issue of violence against women.

Sorry but I do not for one second buy into his claim of abuse and I hope the jury won't either. The picture in the article clearly shows that he dwarfed her in size and other associates claim that she was a very gentle person.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/13/986668/aasiya-zubair-hassans-tortured.html

"When Aasiya Zubair Hassan was finally ready to leave her husband, she prepared herself. She gathered copies of her police reports, photos of her beaten face, images of her ransacked house, scripts her husband made her memorize.

Then she painstakingly chronicled her years of torment in a 21-page court statement that painted her husband as not just a batterer, but a cruel, manipulative monster.

She detailed how he deprived her of sleep to "improve her personality," made her sign memos authorizing him to punish her if she talked with the police and Child Protective Services, and threatened her with the loss of her children whenever she tried to break free.

Toward the end of her statement appealing for divorce in February 2009, she reflected on how furious her husband would be when he saw the document: "I am afraid of what he might do."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/13/986668/aasiya-zubair-hassans-tortured.html

"When Aasiya Zubair Hassan was finally ready to leave her husband, she prepared herself. She gathered copies of her police reports, photos of her beaten face, images of her ransacked house, scripts her husband made her memorize.

Then she painstakingly chronicled her years of torment in a 21-page court statement that painted her husband as not just a batterer, but a cruel, manipulative monster.

She detailed how he deprived her of sleep to "improve her personality," made her sign memos authorizing him to punish her if she talked with the police and Child Protective Services, and threatened her with the loss of her children whenever she tried to break free.

Toward the end of her statement appealing for divorce in February 2009, she reflected on how furious her husband would be when he saw the document: "I am afraid of what he might do."

Another monster sociopath -- thinking he can manipulate everybody else, like he did his poor wife.

Life must have been hell for her & the kids. :(

Ms. Hassan I am so sorry you had to live in this ugly world like you did. I am so sorry for your children. I hope you can rest in peace.

If somebody chops your da*n head off they are pizzzzed. Decapitated her. How barbaric can a human being get?

I wasn't familiar with this case. Second degree murder for a beheading????? The trial is about to start and jury selection begins on Monday. Sounds like Mr. Hassan is not changing his story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978985/ns/us_news/

Charged with beheading wife, NY man to claim abuse

"It has been nearly two years since Muzzammil Hassan directed police officers in this serene Buffalo suburb to the decapitated remains of his estranged wife inside the Muslim-oriented television station the couple ran.

With his second-degree murder trial set to start, the question for jurors may be less about whether Hassan killed Aasiya Zubair Hassan, 37, after she filed for divorce than about why.

While behind bars, Hassan, 45, has been laying the groundwork for a battered-spouse defense, reaching out to reporters and others to say he acted in self-defense after suffering years of physical and emotional trauma...."

and

"....Hassan's latest letter from jail, sent to the AP in November, was written in poem form, with 16 three-line verses railing against a Buffalo News reporter who has covered the case and a family violence expert for "always blaming the man as the abuser."

more at link

Yeah... he was so freakin abused...

Let's see this guys police reports, pictures, and scripts....

Oh wait... he was a man... which means he didn't report the abuse due to shame. /sarcasm

I hope they show the jury everything this woman had prepared for her divorce.

yeah, you wanna know who I tend to see as the abuser?

The guy that chops his wife's head off because she dared finally try to break free of him.

nuff said.

He has no chance, imo, of anyone believing his story of abuse by her. I can't believe his attorney can get up in court and go with this defense. Maybe that is why this is his third attorney. Maybe the prior two wouldn't go with the defense he insisted upon. Hopefully it will be a short trial.

I swear to you I started a thread on this case when it first happened, but I cannot find it. So thank you for starting a new one.

So he is going to use the abuse excuse as to the reason he stabbed her 40 times and beheaded her, right? At her place of work with his children in the car. And his defense attorney is hanging his hat on the fact that he turned himself in.

Well duh. She had filed for divorce 9 days earlier and claimed that she had suffered atrocious physical abuse. Kind of stands to reason he was going to be at least considered a suspect.

I think he is lucky at the second degree charge, but I guess we will see how this unfolds.

He has no chance, imo, of anyone believing his story of abuse by her. I can't believe his attorney can get up in court and go with this defense. Maybe that is why this is his third attorney. Maybe the prior two wouldn't go with the defense he insisted upon. Hopefully it will be a short trial.

I will admit my first thought was an honor killing because she had filed for divorce-BUT I have to ask...if culture played any role in any of this, how does he maintain his standing in his community if he is claiming he was terrorized by this woman for the last 10 years? Just wonderin.

After reading more on this, I don't believe it was an "honor killing" in the religious sense. To him it probably was, but I think he was just a horribly abusive person. I think I read that he was not a particularly religious man. After reading what his son testified to about what went on in their home, and seeing that his first two marriages ended because of abuse, he is just scum. But, so many times, abuse is learned. And, it seems that so many just looked the other way. I only hope that his children can overcome this type of family history and do better.

Trial has resumed....without jury at this point. Hassan's attorney is now asking the judge to permit his client to cross examine prosecution witnesses, including his daughter, Sonia, who will testify soon, and a babysitter. Hassan spoke briefly for the first time, saying there's "a lot of detail, a high amount of detail in this case that his attorney isn't aware of .". Prosecution strongly rejects this. Judge denied request, questioning the timing. - Lorey Schultz
Yeah, right, he wants to questions his own children who are testifying against him. Fat chance.

How awful it must have been for their children in that household, let alone the deceased. Just a terrible, terrible bully.

Sonia is now reading a 'memorandum of understanding', supposedly drafted by the defendant between Aasiya and him. It lists all sorts of rules that she must abide by, leaving him to decide if she violated any of them. Issues pertain to the children, restrictions on visits to see family in Pakistan, etc. - Lorey Schultz

So now the daughter says that her dad offered her all his possessions if she would follow certain conditions including not speaking ill of him. Amazing.

No witness tampering here.

I use the term honor killing loosely I confess. In reality the defendant is no different then OJ (imo he is guilty) in that he believes he owns the women in his life....or James Kahler for that matter.

OK, supposedly this morning Hassan requested to represent himself or he will fire his attorney. Court postponed until 2:00 p.m.

Hassan has said he wants to represent himself, denied by the judge. Says he will fire his attorney, denied by judge. Says he will leave the courtroom, judge says go ahead. He says his attorney is not doing a good job, has not seen him in a month, he is not being represented properly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back